autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Oddball Product Combo-But Works!

Hi All,
    Set out to wash and begin waxing my 6x12 White Cargo Trailer this morning. This trailer sits in the elements 365 days a year, and perhaps gets a cleaning and detail once every 7-9 months.

And it was looking like it typically would, with dirty water stains from rain all down its sides.

So, this time, what to use? My Optimum GPS 1-step went in the trash can a long time back, separating horribly after 3 month's time.

And while I do have paint cleansers on hand from both Pinnacle, Pinnacle Gold Label, and DP, I felt these were a little bit too extravagant, and expensive to use on the Trailer.

Now, one might say, "Duragloss", such as 501, or 105. No dice with any of DG's stuff tried this once, and went though an unbelieveable hell, none of DG's products would fully come off this specific paint. Left nasty clouding-hazing, which only a repeat with Colly 845 was able to get off.

So, with about 2/3rds a liter bottle of Menzerna Powerlock Sealant, and a fresh 16oz bottle of the cheapo red bottle of Meguiars Cleaner Wax, I set out.

Even together, and by hand, it was tough work, the stains weren't easily coming out, so out came the PC7424XP, a 5" LC Backing Plate, and 2 LC 5.5" Yellow Flat Pads. But a test spot did prove great, was easily and fully coming off, so here we go!

After a wash and dry, I at least wanted to get the sides that faces the sun continuously, which are the south and west sides as it sits.

I just simply squirted small amounts of both the Megs Cleaner Wax, and Powerlock to the pad, spread with a finger, and went to work applying.

Super, the dirty staining was coming off nicely, and fairly easily, and by the time I applied, started removal with MF Towels, and was easy as pie coming off, no hazing clouding left behind, just nice clean shiny paint!

Now some might ask why add Powerlock to the mix? Well, while the Megs Cleaner Wax is a fine all around product, and easily gotten just about anywhere, its downside is it doesn't last very long. I figured the Powerlock Sealant would help fortify, and lengthen protection some.

These little tricks of playing "mad scientist" with different combinations of products together, such as glazes, cleaner waxes, waxes, and even polishes was something I learned a long long time ago. May not be the best way to use products, but in a pinch, and under certain circumstances, they can often work quite well.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oddball Product Combo-But Works!

Once I started working for a shop and doing more and more cars, I realized when you have products A-Z sometimes making AB, CR, or YZ as one gets the job done.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it. Interesting to hear about your experience with the Duragloss products.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Congratulations, ingenuity will take you somewear. Hopefully It's were you want to be.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Once I started working for a shop and doing more and more cars, I realized when you have products A-Z sometimes making AB, CR, or YZ as one gets the job done.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it. Interesting to hear about your experience with the Duragloss products.
    That's truly the odd strange stumper about Duragloss goodies, as I have 501, 105, and 111 on hand.

And they work so easy, and great on automotive paint finishes I've found.

I did use the 901 Shampoo though when I started!

Tomorrow I'll finish the rest, will need just a simple wipe with a damp towel, then continue on, and finish the detail.

Here, as the weather gets warmer, you have to work quick, work very early at the crack of dawn, then run for cover, the sun gets too high in the sky, and gets too hot, in the mid 90's by 10am, and we're just starting to go into the hot summer temps in the desert here. Getting too old to tolerate or enjoy those work conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Stupidly, I burned up and tossed the original Backing Plate and Pad for the Porter Cable DA. This probably would've been good to have, to then use with MF Bonnets to then remove product after applying.

This will be one thing I think I will look into for a future purchase.
    I still do have two old waxcoa waxing machines with a slew of many terry Bonnets though, and could've yanked one of those for quick product removal.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot take credit though for this type of mixing different product combinations.

Of course you folks know there's nothing strange about AIOs, and that they've been around a long time from a variety of manufacturers.

It was actually Waxcoa, way back in the day, where in the early days a Waxcoa Orbital Waxer would come with a small bottle of Waxcoa branded Glaze, and a Wax, which I believe was a Paste back then.

That in the accompanying manual, was the suggestion-recommendation of applying both Glaze and Wax to the Bonnet, and then applying to the vehicle. I can remember getting pleasing results, the Glaze apparently does some minor filling of swirls, feeds the paint, enhances shine, and the wax then offers a degree of protection.

I see it as an option, as one can then omit certain products-ingredients such as any abrasives with such 2 ingredient combo concoctions.

Post Thanks / Like

Applying PowerLock by machine is so quick and efficient that I would still suggest that the Cleaner Wax be used as a separate step to maximize the benefits of each product

Post Thanks / Like

DG601 + Menzerna Powerlock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGOatemywallet View Post
    Applying PowerLock by machine is so quick and efficient that I would still suggest that the Cleaner Wax be used as a separate step to maximize the benefits of each product
    Yeah, but on a trailer that large I'd rather do it in one step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    DG601 + Menzerna Powerlock
    Really?? I know that the 601 can be used with certain sealants other than the Duragloss sealants, but have never bothered to do the research.

What has your experience been with 601 vs without when using Powerlock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast