autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Which product do i need to remove the hazing?

Hello,

I would like to know which product and foam pad do i need to use to remove the holograms that is produced by the rotary?

I have DACP #83 and speed glaze #80, I removed the swirls with the soft buff pad w7000 and i followed it with a polishing pad using #80 but i think some of the holograms is still there. Do i need to replace #80 with other product that is more aggressive to remove the holograms?

This is my first attempt to remove swirls and i used Makita 9227c since we don't have porter cables available here.

Mike Phillips

Re: Which product do i need to remove the hazing?

This issue and question comes up all the time, in fact, just like you've posted it.

Someone had the same problem about a week ago, so instead of re-typing what I already suggested, hang tight for a few seconds and I'll find the thread.

Mike Phillips

Here you go,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...holograms.html

Please take a moment to read through the above thread and my replies and explanations.

The nutshell answer is you either will need to get some kind of DA style polisher to get away from the direct-drive rotation of the rotary buffer.

Switch to a different finishing polish, M80 Speed Glaze does not finish out swirl-free very well using only a rotary buffer. Try M205 instead.

Rub the paint out by hand using something like the M205 or even SwirlX, again you need to get away from the rotating action of the rotary buffer. Please note all the reasons why as I listed them specifically in the link I provided.

Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike,

I am looking for a DA polisher such as flex because it is the only available in 230-240v, is it good as the porter cable for the polishing and jeweling steps?

I will order 105/205 combination soon, my local store sells #85 will it be good to use 85 for removing swirls and 83 for polishing?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zadjali View Post
    I am looking for a DA polisher such as flex because it is the only available in 230-240v, is it good as the porter cable for the polishing and jeweling steps?
    It will work great for the finish polishing step, (Jeweling). See my recent thread and especially the comments in post #10

1957 Chevrolet Belair Extreme Makeover - Flex 3401 & Wolfgang Smackdown!

Quote Originally Posted by zadjali View Post
    I will order 105/205 combination soon, my local store sells #85 will it be good to use 85 for removing swirls and 83 for polishing?
    M85 is for rotary buffer use only but some people use it with DA Polishers and the Flex 3401 and get good results, but just to note, Meguiar's doesn't recommend it for these tools, just the RB

M83 is a fairly aggressive cleaner/polish relative to other cleaner/polishes and will polish out most rotary buffer instilled swirls with a foam pad on a DA or Flex 3401, just depends upon how deep they are and how hard the paint is.

Wait for the M105 and M205 Tag Team as they will work fine for removing swirls and then polishing out swirl-free.

Use the M105 with your rotary buffer and then I would probably use the M205 with the rotary buffer with either a polishing pad or a finishing pad and then check your results.

If you still see swirls after the M205 step then switch to the Flex 3401 for your final machine polishing or Jeweling step with the M205.

After that be sure to apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait for the 105/205 combo, for the flex do they use the same backing plate that is offered at Autogeek store DA section and will i need any adapter to fit the backing plate?