autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need long lasting 3 inch foam pads

Lots of great feedback here!! I see the pleasant atmosphere of this forum is still alive and well, and I think that's fantastic!!

Thanks so far for all the posting and the waves back!!

I'll mainly be spinning the 3" foam pads on a 3" pneumatic rotary buffer to do headlight lenses. I do from time to time use them with an old school Matco Tools pneumatic dual action sander using a 3M 3 inch backing plate. I find 3M's backing plate attachment design (hook and loop) to hold pads way better than anything I've ever used, and the 3M units will withstand way more heat than anything I've ever used as well. I've melted down many DA backing plates but have never melted down a 3M backing plate. I've thought over the years that perhaps the 3M backing plate's performance in holding the pads is why I'm experiencing the durability that I've been seeing out of these pads. Hopefully this is true.

I used to buy a kit exactly like that B&S spot buff kit locally under a different brand name. While I'm not a fan of the foam pads in those kits, the wool pads have made me lots of money over the years. Thanks Mike!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using wool, there's the purple foamed and the new thin: Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads

Meg's also makes the MF pads in 3". I don't know if you're sanding, last headlights I did I sanded right up to 5000 grit and didn't need to compound, went right to polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If you're using wool, there's the purple foamed and the new thin: Lake Country Foamed Wool Pads

Meg's also makes the MF pads in 3". I don't know if you're sanding, last headlights I did I sanded right up to 5000 grit and didn't need to compound, went right to polish.
    Thanks Mike.

I've done headlights a lot of different ways. Sanding to 400 grit and spraying clear at that point, sanding to 3000 grit and polishing, sanding to 1000 grit then compounding with super duty then 105/205 etc..

Lately I've been simply hitting them with my pneumatic rotary using these little orange GG 3" pads and Carpro CeriGlass glass polish. The few sets I've done so far using this method gave been just very yellowed but not all blotchy with missing sections of OEM protectant so they've cleared up to crystal and topped with DG Enviroshield ceramic coating. Going to push the limits real soon using the CeriGlass and 3" foam pads on a fairly bad (should be sanded) set of 2005 Chevy Uplander lenses.

Thanks for the replies. TD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Lots of great feedback here!! I see the pleasant atmosphere of this forum is still alive and well, and I think that's fantastic!!

Thanks so far for all the posting and the waves back!!

I'll mainly be spinning the 3" foam pads on a 3" pneumatic rotary buffer to do headlight lenses. I do from time to time use them with an old school Matco Tools pneumatic dual action sander using a 3M 3 inch backing plate. I find 3M's backing plate attachment design (hook and loop) to hold pads way better than anything I've ever used, and the 3M units will withstand way more heat than anything I've ever used as well. I've melted down many DA backing plates but have never melted down a 3M backing plate. I've thought over the years that perhaps the 3M backing plate's performance in holding the pads is why I'm experiencing the durability that I've been seeing out of these pads. Hopefully this is true.

I used to buy a kit exactly like that B&S spot buff kit locally under a different brand name. While I'm not a fan of the foam pads in those kits, the wool pads have made me lots of money over the years. Thanks Mike!!
    That's interesting about the backing plates.

I wonder if it's the design of the hooks. I remember seeing a vented 3M d/a plate at the local paint shop, and if I remember correctly it had "micro-hooks" like my Dynabrade, and Megs plates.

I use the 4" buff and shine, and LC Ultrafiber / Hydrotech pads for the am allergic areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up about half a dozen of the vented DA backing plates for $5 a piece a long time ago and to my delight they have turned out to be the best plates I've ever used.. Right place right time I suppose. It's like the hooks are somehow molded right into the backing plate. Don't know how they do it but I'm glad they did it because these backing plates are seemingly indestructible. Worth every penny of the $30 regular price tag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12