autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UDM Initial Review

Ok, finally got a chance to take the UDM for a spin and compare it to the 7424. I taped off my hood in half and used the UDM on one side and the 7424 on the other. I used Menzerna's Final Polish with a white LC CCS pad on speed 6 for both units. I also worked both sides equally as long (3 minutes) and compared the results to see if there was any difference. The UDM side took more swirls out and also broke the polish down better than the 7424 side, which means the extra power from the UDM is going to good use. While I only had very minor swirling on my hood, the extra correcting ability will really come in handy when dealing with a heavily damaged surface. Don't get me wrong, the 7424 side still looked good, but the polish definitely needed to be worked in and broken down a little more to get the same results as the UDM side.

While both machines are basically identical in the way they work, the UDM is a MUCH improved machine vs. the 7424. Just as I thought, the extra power of the motor makes this unit much harder to bog down, which will come in handy on heavily oxidized & swirled finishes. The extra power seems to also translate to being able to break polishes down a little faster, saving time and also the possibility of doing multiple passes on the same body panel. The vibration factor has also been severely reduced, as the UDM operates much smoother than the 7424. Working all day with the 7424 can be very tiresome because of the vibration. (this improvement alone would cause me to buy a UDM and ditch the 7424)Weight wise they feel the same in the hand, so this is a draw. The body of the UDM felt a little better in my hands. The shorter cord wasn't that big of a deal to me, as I was still able to throw the cord over my shoulder with plenty of slack. All in all, anyone looking for a polisher capable of tackling pretty much any situation/paint condition should seriously consider picking up a UDM. It has taken the concept that has made the PC 7424 a staple for over 10 years in the detailing industry and improved it in almost every way. I'm thrilled with the new machine, and cannot wait to tackle some more vehicles in need of "saving".

If I did not currently have a polisher and was in the market, I'd definitely wait for the release of the UDM. IMO its a much improved machine.

If I did already have a PC, it would really depend how often/heavily you are using the machine. If its only for occasional use then you might be better spending it on product. But anyone using the PC regularly should definitely consider the upgrade. Its worth it IMO.

If anyone has any questions just let me know, I'll answer them the best I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that great write-up/review! I already have the PC, but depending on the price of the UDM, I may also get it. Keep the PC ready to go with 3.5" backing plate & 4" pads, and the UDM with the 6.5" pads. That way I wouldn't have to keep changing backing plates on one machine.
    Alban B-)
    2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD, 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug bedliner, Torza Trifold Tonneau cover, SS step bars / Dark Shadow Gray Metallic
    2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S / Inferno

Post Thanks / Like
    Good review. Interesting comparison. How about some pictures of it?

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no pics, I was pressed for time and didn't dig the camera out. My results were very similar to HighEndDetails pics of the Vette he used to compare the two machines.
    Last edited by trlblazer3; 06-11-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you tell me what speeds you were running the machines on?
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC
    Can you tell me what speeds you were running the machines on?
    Read his review, its in the first paragraph.

Post Thanks / Like
    So vibration factor is it alot less then the PC and what about the sound is it as loud or the same. Do the Pads jump around on you at all when reach high speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ejflanag
    So vibration factor is it alot less then the PC and what about the sound is it as loud or the same. Do the Pads jump around on you at all when reach high speeds.
    Yes it is, I had a pc owner test it out. He liked it better then his pc. He felt the more power, and smoothness from it. The UDM sounds better then the pc.No the pads don't jump, at any speed. He ran the edge green pad at speed 6 doing it with one hand like a pro
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a follow-up on my initial review, I was able to use the UDM on two cars this weekend, and this machine simply kicks butt. I was amazed at the correcting ability compared to the PC. The UDM refuses to bog down like the PC. Both details were much quicker than I could have ever gotten with the PC, with better results to boot. I was thinking about getting a rotary, but now I honestly don't see a need due the results I am getting. Unbelievable machine. In my initial review I said that if you have a PC and only use it occasionally that it might not be a big leap. Well I whole-heartedly take that back! You have got to get this machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trlblazer3
    Just as a follow-up on my initial review, I was able to use the UDM on two cars this weekend, and this machine simply kicks butt. I was amazed at the correcting ability compared to the PC. The UDM refuses to bog down like the PC. Both details were much quicker than I could have ever gotten with the PC, with better results to boot. I was thinking about getting a rotary, but now I honestly don't see a need due the results I am getting. Unbelievable machine. In my initial review I said that if you have a PC and only use it occasionally that it might not be a big leap. Well I whole-heartedly take that back! You have got to get this machine!
    thanks trlblazer.......that's what I'm waiting for----some USE from the machine for a while for REAL feedback. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast