autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

indiej's pad washer

posted this at DW, i just want to share this idea with you just the same

nuff said for now..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: indiej's pad washer

Looks like a commercially made unit, are you trying to sell them here?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

just sharing because I learned from other's who shared a lot in these forum sites. Other's may build similar with their own touches.

This is my pad washer using a bucket with cover, grit guard, an aquarium water pump with suction cups and some fittings that came with it and some useful clutter I found in storage. Inspired by the System 2000 and Univerversal Pad Washer.

Cover the other grit guard with a cotton terry towel with long naps and wedge it on another bucket for drying -- inspired by "How to clean your foam pad on the fly" by Mike Phillips. Some tweaks here and there over time.

I was gonna point the tip of the tube upwards and control the jet by drilling holes but the tube came with holes and the jets from the holes are more suitable, so the tip became the jet control. Cap the tip with a flow control or position it flush to the bucket to retard the flow through it such that the jet height at the holes suits your purpose. Prop the pump higher from the bottom of the bucket. I used a plate from a steamer in the kitchen, you could also carve an indent for it on top of a block of foam just to give you an idea.

To turn on the water pump, I wired it to a doorbell button, 1 wire through it then to the plug of the pump, the other direct to the other terminal of the plug. Cover with some plastic and back it with a PVC electrical box, you get the idea, make it waterproof. Step on it to jet while cleaning your pad on your machine.

Might as well have some fun with it. This submersible water pump is rated 400 Liters/hour. Less powerful pumps will do. There are also units with adjustable flow rates.

Back to serious business.

A pretty strong magnet.

I removed the activated carbon filter so it won't mess with the pad cleaning solution. I put the magnet instead, then the foam filter. That'll catch some grit and fibers just in case. This is more useful in 2-bucket car washing. The pump will fit without the tube and using a half inch cover with foam filter on the suction side. Or go without the pump, go nuts and drop a can of magnets over/under the grit guard!

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting concept.

Have you tried washing some used pads with you invention? I'm very curious to see how effective it is.

I see you're using aquarium parts. Will the soaps and detergents normally used to clean pads affect the pumps, seals, or valves that are part of the system?

Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

i use it with all my pads. i recall checking with the light yellow pad, it went from dark gray to light yellow with some light gray shadow. before washing, i pinched it in some areas and of course it was greasy. After washing, no grease at all. pretty good and easy. i'll probably make a trolley and fix them buckets there. i have another bucket jetting plain water for rinsing.

i started before, thinking springs and upside down plastic container with tubes inserted pointing up then ended up with the aquarium water pumps. they're about 10 bucks each.

i thunk all these because I washed pads by hand using dishwashing liquid and had a hard time rinsing out the suds.

i wouldn't know about the reaction of the valves and seals to the cleaning solutions, though one could disassemble the pump and look inside. it's sealed with melted rubbery plastic. just check the submersible pump you buy.

i'll rinse the pump in plain water more regularly then. thanks for the concern. i was really watching the wirings outside the bucket to avoid electrocution, i'm pretty familiar and unafraid with aquarium pumps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indiej1 View Post
    i thunk all these because I washed pads by hand using dishwashing liquid and had a hard time rinsing out the suds.

i wouldn't know about the reaction of the valves and seals to the cleaning solutions, though one could disassemble the pump and look inside. it's sealed with melted rubbery plastic. just check the submersible pump you buy.
    The reason I asked is I didn't know if you experienced any issues or failures in these areas due to cleaning chemicals. It sounds as if your system is performing well, thanks for posting..

Quote Originally Posted by indiej1 View Post
    i'll rinse the pump in plain water more regularly then. thanks for the concern. i was really watching the wirings outside the bucket to avoid electrocution, i'm pretty familiar and unafraid with aquarium pumps.
    Good information to know!

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, reminds me of MacGyver, he will make anything from just about nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks brrrrr... below zero where you're at.

The reason I asked is I didn't know if you experienced any issues or failures in these areas due to cleaning chemicals. It sounds as if your system is performing well, thanks for posting..
    btw, the pump can withstand the saturated stew of chemicals and whatnot in an abandoned aquarium. that mix can get quite acidic. a little cleaning and it's running again in a new glass box.

it's also used 24/7 year round pumping coolant (alkalinic) ran through copper or aluminum and UV reactive hose under UV lighting for watercooled computers.

nice thing about the submersible pump is that its motor is watercooled. the engineers must had an easy time figuring how to cool it. just be aware to run it fully submerged.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a silicone soap tray to sub for the mini grit guard

I gave the car something i haven't since day1, a dose of neglect and used this time to take pics of the pad washer

just the dishwashing liquid for on-the-fly pad cleaning

I figured it's better to have the tray flat. more silicone fingers is better for dissipating a push and gentler for the foam pad.
    using speed 1 I rest the pad on the silicone soap tray then pull it towards me while pushing down.

10 seconds of wet run on the pad cleaner and another 10 for dry run turns out like this

wet and dry after the first run

Happy

before and after

i'll change the twisty ties with safer rounded ties. i ran my fingers through each foam pad and checked for slits, tearing, bites and found none. the silicone soap tray purges more water than just the grit guard alone that's why in my previous uses of the pad washer i'd see some shadowy dark areas on the pads before. although, i think it's gentler for the foam pads to use the grit guard alone.

End

I was able to polish just one door what with the pauses to take shots

Post Thanks / Like

Nice update and it looks like your pad washer works pretty darn well!

Thanks for posting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast