autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd newb question - QD usage

Doing a ton of reading - learning more every day. And have read Mike's ebook. Still confused about QD.

Here's what I'm reading:
    - Some rinseless washes can be used as QD (ex: opt no rinse) - this means they must leave something behind (wax or synthetic)
    - You can use a sealant or wax after washing, then QD if desired

So if you a rinseless wash, you already have some QD on the surface. Sealant or wax goes over that, then more QD as needed. So you really have QD/sealant/QD on the surface, like a QD sandwich.

Is this intentional? Or should the surface be stripped of all non-permanent product before sealant or wax is used?

And what does QD do to wax or sealant? If it's a solvent to it, why bother with wax/sealant that QD is going to dissolve? Does it make more sense to just pick a QD and use it after washing rather than sealant or wax?

I see a lot of recommendations to layer these products but no discussion of how they interact. Perhaps I'm over thinking this(?).

Post Thanks / Like

3rd newb question - QD usage

If you want a Rinseless that doesn't leave anything behind get Meguiars D114 then you can follow up with a LSP knowing there aren't any interfering polymers/wax left behind by the Rinseless wash. Quick detailers are meant to give you a safe way to remove light dust, finger prints, bugs etc. without having to do a full wash. Most quick detailer will leave something behind but the protection they afford are very short lived.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd newb question - QD usage

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    If you want a Rinseless that doesn't leave anything behind get Meguiars D114 then you can follow up with a LSP knowing there aren't any interfering polymers/wax left behind by the Rinseless wash. Quick detailers are meant to give you a safe way to remove light dust, finger prints, bugs etc. without having to do a full wash. Most quick detailer will leave something behind but the protection they afford are very short lived.
    Thanks for the reply. Really not sure what I want -just trying to think about all this stuff, how it works together, and what routine I want. Claying and removing defects (swirls and other) is pretty straightforward. Everything after that is confusing as heck. Too many products without the differences being clear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm less than a year into this detailing stuff so I don't have as much experience as many here. My routine is a rinseless wash, using Megs D156 spray wax as I dry. My car is black, so I usually need to use a qd a day or two later. If the weather holds up long enough, I'll do a waterless wash a day or two after that. Seems like the D156 attracts, or doesn't let go of, dust, but then the qd (I use ORW diluted) takes care of that and the dust doesn't stick to it as much. It's fun learning and experimenting with different products and tecniques.

Post Thanks / Like

QD's have become kind of obsolete with the proliferation of waterless washes, rinseless washes that can be uses as waterless, the addition of LSP ingredients to these products, and many good spray waxes.

As you noted, there are many delivery systems for LSP ingredients these days. QD's were never really meant to give any protection, they were to remove light dust and fingerprints and give that "just waxed" gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

I use QD's for spot cleaning/dusting only (never as a protectant). And if I'm going to be waxing/sealing, then I am sure to wash first and use a soap that contains no "wax".

I always make sure to do a proper two bucket wash before waxing/sealing (no waterless washes or "wash and wax anywhere" types of products, as they may leave residues behind). I suppose there are exceptions, but this is my normal procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    I'm less than a year into this detailing stuff so I don't have as much experience as many here. My routine is a rinseless wash, using Megs D156 spray wax as I dry. My car is black, so I usually need to use a qd a day or two later. If the weather holds up long enough, I'll do a waterless wash a day or two after that. Seems like the D156 attracts, or doesn't let go of, dust, but then the qd (I use ORW diluted) takes care of that and the dust doesn't stick to it as much. It's fun learning and experimenting with different products and tecniques.
    Got it. Less fun for me. I want to get a couple of cars protected so I can keep them clean during the winter. May play in the summer, but it's just too cold and wet here most of the year to enjoy it. And the cars are constantly wet and dirty. My goal is to get them easily hose-offable for light cleaning every week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    QD's have become kind of obsolete with the proliferation of waterless washes, rinseless washes that can be uses as waterless, the addition of LSP ingredients to these products, and many good spray waxes.

As you noted, there are many delivery systems for LSP ingredients these days. QD's were never really meant to give any protection, they were to remove light dust and fingerprints and give that "just waxed" gloss.
    This makes a lot of sense and seems obvious now that you've said it. QD wipe down vs. waterless wash - not much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    I use QD's for spot cleaning/dusting only (never as a protectant). And if I'm going to be waxing/sealing, then I am sure to wash first and use a soap that contains no "wax".

I always make sure to do a proper two bucket wash before waxing/sealing (no waterless washes or "wash and wax anywhere" types of products, as they may leave residues behind). I suppose there are exceptions, but this is my normal procedure.
    This makes sense too.

Thanks to all for the replies and helping me get less confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Apply a good quality coating. Use a Rinseless wash as needed and no need to apply a wax/booster for a few years.

I CQUK'd one of our cars 18 months ago, just been doing Rinseless washes since and it still looks awesome and beads/self cleans as well as it did 18 months ago. With kids & family there just isn't as much garage time as I used to have. The coatings have truly saved me a ton of time while keeping the car looking awesome.

Rinseless washes are also a great time saver. I use the WG Uber as a wash and QD as needed for bugs etc., super simple.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Three products you need, they can do anything you want along the way.

First however... you don't need a stand alone QD (as was mentioned by Setec) these days.

BUT..... they are something that you can use once the surface is clean.

With the popularity of rinseless washes, typical QD detailing isn't what it one was.

ONR is popular, although not as much as it once was.

Easily Meguiar's D114 is the jack of all trades these days! Mix it at 128:1 and it's strong enough to do pretty decent cleaning. Mix it at up to 256:1 for your typical rinseless and/or QD duties. It DOES NOT leave anything behind.

Duragloss Aquawax... it'll give you WEEKS of protection, shine, and slickness whether being used as a spray wax after a wash, (or QD session) or as a stand alone spray wax.

Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine... a REALLY good "QD" product. It'll clean, shine, and give a bit of protection. (Just not as much as Aquawax by itself.)

Now... Mix FC&S 3 parts to 1 part Aquawax (75/25) and you instantly have the best of both worlds!

Another thing that D114 is extremely useful for is mixing your own panel wipe (for inspection when doing paint correction). Mix it 192:1 or even 256:1 then use an online alcohol dilution calculator to figure out how many ounces of your D114 'mixture' to add to xxx ounces of 91% alcohol to come up with whatever percentage alcohol dilution you like. Generally you'd want somewhere between 20% to 30%.

FWIW, one very easy online calculator is here. Use the second box.
    http://homedistiller.org/distill/dilute/calc

For instance... (where "water" is your D114 mix)
    To make 32 fl oz of 30% alcohol using 91% alcohol Use 10.549 fl oz of Alcohol and 21.451 fl oz of Water.

It's just that easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Apply a good quality coating. Use a Rinseless wash as needed and no need to apply a wax/booster for a few years.

I CQUK'd one of our cars 18 months ago, just been doing Rinseless washes since and it still looks awesome and beads/self cleans as well as it did 18 months ago. With kids & family there just isn't as much garage time as I used to have. The coatings have truly saved me a ton of time while keeping the car looking awesome.

Rinseless washes are also a great time saver. I use the WG Uber as a wash and QD as needed for bugs etc., super simple.
    Will get there on coating. Not sure which one to use and I'm not sure yet if once applied it means I'm stuck with it forever. I know they can be removed, but I have no idea how to remove a coating and not remove clear coat at the same time. And how when to apply another coat months later. All this needs a little more study on my part.

May go with Wolfgang sealant (WGDGPS) for now and coating later.

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Three products you need, they can do anything you want along the way.

<snip>
    Easily Meguiar's D114 is the jack of all trades these days! Mix it at 128:1 and it's strong enough to do pretty decent cleaning. Mix it at up to 256:1 for your typical rinseless and/or QD duties. It DOES NOT leave anything behind.

Duragloss Aquawax... it'll give you WEEKS of protection, shine, and slickness whether being used as a spray wax after a wash, (or QD session) or as a stand alone spray wax.

Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine... a REALLY good "QD" product. It'll clean, shine, and give a bit of protection. (Just not as much as Aquawax by itself.)

Now... Mix FC&S 3 parts to 1 part Aquawax (75/25) and you instantly have the best of both worlds!

Another thing that D114 is extremely useful for is mixing your own panel wipe (for inspection when doing paint correction). Mix it 192:1 or even 256:1 then use an online alcohol dilution calculator to figure out how many ounces of your D114 'mixture' to add to xxx ounces of 91% alcohol to come up with whatever percentage alcohol dilution you like. Generally you'd want somewhere between 20% to 30%.

FWIW, one very easy online calculator is here. Use the second box.
    http://homedistiller.org/distill/dilute/calc

For instance... (where "water" is your D114 mix)
    To make 32 fl oz of 30% alcohol using 91% alcohol Use 10.549 fl oz of Alcohol and 21.451 fl oz of Water.

It's just that easy.
    Been reading about 114 and ordered some. Also have some ONR, which is great stuff. But not what I need before sealing or coating.

Also been reading a lot about DG. You may have just convinced me to use this rather than Wolfgang. And also was reading about alcohol to use before and wasn't sure how to do it. You just solved that for me.

Extremely helpful replies, and very much appreciated. Hope to share some awesome results soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast