autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd newb question - QD usage

I used Duragloss 105/601 last week for the first time ever. SUPER glossy, very slick. The winter salt/grime just blew right off with a spray wand at the car wash yesterday. I didn't even touch it with a wash mitt. Usually I'm still left with a film if all that I do is spray.

Without a doubt the most drastic visual change I've ever experienced with a wax/sealer. And I've used several Megs products, Collinite 845/476, and several others in the past. Really happy with the DG. AquaWax is awesome too. Super shiny and best longevity I've experienced with a spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

@cardaddy. Is there any noticeable difference or benefit when using D114@1:256 as a quik detailer as opposed to 1:128?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post

May go with Wolfgang sealant (WGDGPS) for now and coating later.
    Very good idea. Get comfortable with detailing in general before you apply a coating.

D114 is good stuff. Make sure you wring out just a tad from your wash media before using it on paint, or it'll be a bit too "soapy" which makes it harder to dry.

Strip the car of any protection before applying a sealant, then use D114 as a rinseless wash or if traditional washing, use a soap without gloss enhancers. If you're going with WDGPS as your base, I'd use their detail spray/sealant spray as a drying aid or for touch ups. It just makes sense to use the same companies products for protection. There's no need for a long lasting spray wax, unless you're using it as standalone protection.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to follow up. Using the advice here got me some good results. Will try to get pics later - raining again so hard to grab decent pics. Aquawax is good stuff. The shine is there. Water is rolling off it nicely. Depth is not there, which I would not expect from a spray on. I'll probably step up to 105 + 601 in the near future. The DG stuff looks very good so far.

114 works well. I'll disagree that it doesn't leave anything behind when not rinsed for two reasons: first is that logic tells me that it has to, unless everything in it evaporates. Second is that if I rinse an area after using it I can see a soapy substance coming off it. Not saying it's bad stuff at all -just saying that it appears to leave something soapy on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

D114 doesn't leave any wax or glossing agents behind. That's what people mean by it leaves nothing behind. Of course it has to be wiped off and not left to dry on its own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
    D114 doesn't leave any wax or glossing agents behind. That's what people mean by it leaves nothing behind. Of course it has to be wiped off and not left to dry on its own.
    Got it. Wiped off it still seems to be leaving some soap behind, which makes sense. Not saying this is bad, just another data point for me. I'll follow up with a damp towel to try and remove any soap left over.

Really trying to figure out what multiple products do to each other. If I used DG QD over AW, does it dissolve the AW so I'm effectively removing or thinning it? Would I be better off using 114 first, then rinsing, then applying more AW?

No need to answer - just trying to wrap my head around what is a solvent for what, and and what it means to apply things over the top of another. I wish the manufacturers were a little more forthcoming about the effects of multiple products.

Just did a quick wash and 2nd coat of AW. Will see how that looks tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

QD's and waterless washes shouldn't strip LSPs like AW. That being said I like applying more LSP after each wash or QD just for that extra measure of protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12