autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BodyShop/Collision Tips

Recently I have seen a few posts from members who have been involved in vehicle accidents and have needed repairs done through "customer pay", claimant or claimee insurance. This can be a confusing and difficult time because no one plans to have an accident, that's why we call them accidents. I thought I would post a few helpful hints for people to go through before/during the repair process. I could write up a lengthy article on "Preferred Shops" and "door skins vs new doors" but I just thought I would post a few quick tips.

1. You can have your vehicle repaired at any shop of your choosing.

2. Review your repair order and bring it and additional estimates with you to multiple shops.

3. You pay for your insurance, have your repair done the way YOU want it!

4. Stay in close contact with your insurance adjuster/agent/collision center. Usually the body shop will keep you informed on repairs your insurance company may not do, or pay for, that should be done.

5. Ask to see and inspect completed repairs/vehicles before choosing a shop!
    (cannot stress this enough!)

6. If you are not happy with your results...COMPLAIN! Refuse delivery and ask your insurance to pay for additional rental car time until the vehicle is repaired correctly.

If ANYONE has any collision questions please feel free to shoot me a PM. It breaks my heart to hear some of these horror stories from members who had bad experiences after a collision repair. Not all body shops are created equal, and you would be surprised how many really car about their customers and their vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BodyShop/Collision Tips

This is great info! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips. Also keep in mind, most people's insurance policies do not specify new replacement parts. In fact, the policies state used or non OEM parts for replacement. Its often a fight with the insurance companies to get new OEM replacement parts unless it is specified on the policy.

Case in point, years ago when my RSX was in an accident, my headlights were broken at the brackets as were my tailights (was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me). My insurance company referred the body shop to a place to get replacement lights (used) and when they received them, they were MORE broken and in worse condition than what was on my car! They had no choice to replace them with new parts at that point. Just something to keep in mind. Check your policies if this is important.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for putting this together Sam. Great information.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb always try to choose a bodyshop that is backed by a major insurance company like progressive or Allstate that ensures lifetime workmanship and parts.If you got a promblem with not getting satisfaction from the shop itself,you can lean on your insurance company if there affiliated with the lifetime repair . I had a mustang gt that needed a new convertible top.The guy replaced it with a aftermarket top and 15 dents each on both quarter panels .went back to progressive and they rectified the whole promblem never had to deal with the shop period.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Only one repair shop was "certified" aluminum repair, facility within in a 200 mile radius. And was not Farmers preferred shop.

Why is it so common that body shops, return vehicles, with 'rotary' swirls, is this a sign of a poor shop?

Post Thanks / Like

There not trained to finish down paint correctly,I do work for only 1 body shop in town they do excellent structural and paint work,but the painter just deosnt have the proper correct way of making the paint somewhat acceptable or there getting very little time to perfect it by the insurance company.I see train wrecks get repaired and only half hour to clean car or a 40 hr repair they only pay for 20 so they feel there getting robbed and they don't care.The customer picks up car than a month later they bring it back and call me and the insurance for a supplement time to detail the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    There not trained to finish down paint correctly,I do work for only 1 body shop in town they do excellent structural and paint work,but the painter just deosnt have the proper correct way of making the paint somewhat acceptable or there getting very little time to perfect it by the insurance company.I see train wrecks get repaired and only half hour to clean car or a 40 hr repair they only pay for 20 so they feel there getting robbed and they don't care.The customer picks up car than a month later they bring it back and call me and the insurance for a supplement time to detail the car.
    You know what? This is probably the best way to handle it anyway. The longer you wait to do the final finishing of new paint the better.

I grew up painting cars and motorcycles. Most jobs would get a quick rubout/polish for initial delivery, but for the special jobs I would always recommend the customer return in a couple of months to do the final polishing.

Polishing new paint to perfection too early (say within the first week or so of painting) is a waste of time. As the paint fully cures over the upcoming weeks it will shrink and tighten up somewhat. That results in a decrease of gloss and a less than perfect finish.

For the best paint jobs it's always preferable, in my opinion, to wait at least a month or two (the longer the better) before doing the final polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    You know what? This is probably the best way to handle it anyway. The longer you wait to do the final finishing of new paint the better.

I grew up painting cars and motorcycles. Most jobs would get a quick rubout/polish for initial delivery, but for the special jobs I would always recommend the customer return in a couple of months to do the final polishing.

Polishing new paint to perfection too early (say within the first week or so of painting) is a waste of time. As the paint fully cures over the upcoming weeks it will shrink and tighten up somewhat. That results in a decrease of gloss and a less than perfect finish.

For the best paint jobs it's always preferable, in my opinion, to wait at least a month or two (the longer the better) before doing the final polishing.
    it's to finicky to early no matter what you use most of the time,but there needs some improvement and some training would help.I see painters use a dirty dry crusted embedded bodyshop dusted wool pad with 3 m rocks in the bottle at 3000 rpms and call it a day.I say nothing as it will only give me more business.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb always try to choose a bodyshop that is backed by a major insurance company like progressive or Allstate that ensures lifetime workmanship and parts.
    This is false. The only thing that should be "backed" is a factory certification. The insurance company can cut corners and your body shop will not argue because they are hand fed work by the insurance company. The shop should provide the warranty and if your not happy they should pay for another shop to do the repairs, if they cannot perform them to your liking, after your dissatisfied. I've repaired said vehicles. This goes back to Ask to see and inspect completed repairs/vehicles before choosing a shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricorocks View Post
    Why is it so common that body shops, return vehicles, with 'rotary' swirls, is this a sign of a poor shop?
    Because of this...

There not trained to finish down paint correctly. The painter just deosnt have the proper correct way of making the paint somewhat acceptable or there getting very little time to perfect it by the insurance company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast