autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie help with product selection

So I have a brand new VW GTI that I waxed about 2 weeks ago with Mother's carnuba wax. I've since placed an order that includes a slew of Wolfgang products including paint sealer, enhancer, swirl remover etc. After some research I'd really like to use the paint sealer over the wax since I like the idea of it lasting longer especially with winter coming up. My question is should I strip the wax before using the paint sealer and if so what is the best way to do that? Also, what is the recommended order or Wolfgang products when using the paint sealant. The car is new so I imagine the paint is in pretty good shape. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie help with product selection

The easy answer is, yes, you'll want to remove the wax before applying a more durable sealant for winter.

The best way to strip the wax is mechanically to ensure you've got the cleanest surface possible. I'd use a very mild finishing polish or non abrasive paint prep/paint cleaner product with your DA polisher. Since it's a new car and you're going into winter, I wouldn't bother with any correction. The winter environment will leave you with plenty of correction work to do once spring rolls around again.

I'm not sure about the overall durability of the Wolfgang sealant, but I've used Collinite 845 and Klasse Sealant Glaze with good results winter protection.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianb10 View Post
    So I have a brand new VW GTI that I waxed about 2 weeks ago with Mother's carnuba wax. I've since placed an order that includes a slew of Wolfgang products including paint sealer, enhancer, swirl remover etc. After some research I'd really like to use the paint sealer over the wax since I like the idea of it lasting longer especially with winter coming up. My question is should I strip the wax before using the paint sealer and if so what is the best way to do that? Also, what is the recommended order or Wolfgang products when using the paint sealant. The car is new so I imagine the paint is in pretty good shape. Thanks.

I clayed my GTI when I got it in July; I was surprised at how much smoother it made the paint. I then used the Klasse cleaner and the Klasse sealant. I use wax over the sealant.

The Wolfgang products are really good but I got the AG forum favorite package and it's been working well for me so far.

Which GTI did you get? Mine is an S model in white, MT, LP and PP. Wish I had the money to buy some better tires.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Conventional wisdom says to apply the sealant first, so it can bond to the paint and provide longer term protection. Then top with the wax, to enhance depth. If you're looking for durability I'd suggest two coats of each, waiting *at least* the specified amount of time between each coat (I like to wait 24 hours between coats). For winter protection, Collinite over the Wolfgang or Menzerna sealant is a very popular combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianb10 View Post
    The Mother's wax will probably last 3-4 weeks so what I suggest you do is wait. Then wash, clay and apply your new sealant.