autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Claying

Post Thanks / Like

Claying

Would just like to get some honest opionins about clay blocks, mitts or any of the modern ways of claying. I've used traditional clay for years but don't know much about the newer styles, if they actually work or are better than regular clay.

What I will say is that the Nanoskin type are outside what I'd pay for a claying product. I would rather just spend the $15-$20 for traditional clay. I've seen the clay blocks and mitts for just a little bit more than regular clay so that's what I'd like opinions on.

Thanks everyone.

-Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying

The sponges in both grades are 25 together. And they can each do ten cars at least. IMO, at that price point, it's at least worth a try.

I'm a huge fan!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the fine grade Nanoskin sponge lately, but I think I like using clay better.

It may I haven't quite cracked the code on the proper technique with the product, but I seem to get much more marring with the sponges than I did with traditional clay. I also think clay decontaminates a little better than the sponges.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

nanoskins/speedypreps save significant amount of time vs. clay.

*If you go with these items, find something smooth to rub them like crazy on, they need to be broken in unless you're not worried about marring because you're going to do a compound or polish after. They leave a faint"checkered flag" look in their marring style when brand new.

*Sudsy car soap was a vast improvement over washing first and then using a clay lube. I ended up throwing my nano-sponge right in my wash bucket and taking it out on the panel I was working on. This also let contams come off of the sponge and absorbed more sudsy water...when squeezed, right away more lube is added.

Post Thanks / Like

Good information. Thanks, Odisious.
    I belong to a secret order. We all have OCD, so you’d better believe we have order.

Post Thanks / Like

I not notice marring cause my car is silver. I didn't realize nanoskin sponges wear out. So after about 10 uses, I should get a new one

Post Thanks / Like

I have the fine wash mitt it's worth the price of admission speeds the process up dramatically. My big example is my crew cab F150 I've clayed it and used the mitt and the mitt wins this one hands down. I still use the bars for doing the wheels and what not. On the other side when I'm doing a customers vehicle time is money even though I don't do this for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    I not notice marring cause my car is silver. I didn't realize nanoskin sponges wear out. So after about 10 uses, I should get a new one
    Don't discard after 10 uses. Another user said 70 uses...Keep an eye on the abrading surface and if it shows signs of wear let that be your guide for discarding. If it goes unchanged after each use continue to use as normal.

Based on how long break in time took for my sponge, comfortably it will go for more than 10 uses. BTW 10 uses for a person that only uses nano on personal vehicles will last me 4 years, and that is crazy compared to clay.

Durability is subjective based on how much the surface is contaminated. If the car hasn't been decomtamed in 10 years the sponge will wear quickly on such an oxidized and rough surface. If you manage your vehicle regularly then there will be less contams, and therefore, less wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Iin the long run you will save with the nanoskin. not to mention the time you will save. I use the 6 inch on the DA with the glide which if you buy the gallon size and dilute it is a much better savings than buying clay and lube. And you will get great results and probably never use clay again

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just used the nanoskin fine sponge on a black Cadillac and noticed no marring, huge time savings and - like Odisius said - just used the wash soap already in the bucket. If it didn't mar black, I would think you would have no issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast