autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Spots or Something Else

Hey guys,

New to the forum

I have a new 2015 Kia Optima and I have these stains all over different horizontal panels on the car. I have NO experience detailing and I was thinking of getting the car detailed to remove the "dealer installed swirl option" anyway, but I wanted to get a second opinion on what these spots could be.

I've uploaded a photo as best as i could get it. I believe these may be hard water spots that have no come off with a car wash, nor distilled vinegar.

They are bothering me...A LOT.

Any help identifying them or any tips or removing them would be helpful. Also, would a good detail get these out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Spots or Something Else-img_0068-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Spots or Something Else

Looks like water spots. Try white vinegar first..if it doesn't work, get a good water spot remover (Car Pro/MX7).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Looks like water spots. Try white vinegar first..if it doesn't work, get a good water spot remover (Car Pro/MX7).
    Should I apply the white vinegar full strength or mixed and how long should it sit on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kmedeiros View Post
    Should I apply the white vinegar full strength or mixed and how long should it sit on there?
    Use it neat and don't let it dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are things I'm certain will go away only after 'Asking them' how deep they are, and what they are. Remember to start with least aggressive methods first in order to always work safe.

Instead of vinegar, try car pro spotless (search how to use it properly). Use it while washing to work clean.

If they go away, you got the answer they were deposits. Probably some won't go away, and they etched deeper.

Test a fine polish like Menzerna SF4000 on a soft finishing pad, and determine if spots are superficially etched. See how it answers to polishing.

I've seen many cases where those spots will go with a medium / fine polish and a polishing pad, while others won't come with a cutting pad and compound.

Start slowly and step up till you're satisfied with results. Everything will be dependent on condition of your paint, if it's polishable, etc, please, keep all precautions needed. Seal the job after done.

I learned to never promise 'I will remove every water spot in your vehicle', but to say 'Let's see what's the best I can do'.

Those are plagues to our job!

Good luck on your try,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Tato;1235347]Instead of vinegar, try car pro spotless (search how to use it properly). Use it while washing to work clean.

Why would you tell the OP not to use vinegar first? It's cheap and available in any grocery store. Why have him have to order a product and pay a higher price and shipping when vinegar might work. Car Pro Spotless might not even work either.

Post Thanks / Like

Vinegar at full strength is not a problem. If you do get rid of the spots, you will have to put on an LSP afterwards as the car has no more protection. At Wally world you can get a gallon of white vinegar for about $.75.

Real cheap and effective. If that does not work then look into polishing (or possibly compounding). 1 water spot looked like it was etched, however, it was a small pic. If there is etching the compound polish route would be the way to go. As for everything else just a polish. Give the vinegar a go!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys.

So what I've tried so far is 50/50 vinegar/water solution with no success. Straight on vinegar also did not work unfortunately. I even let it sit for just a little bit on a few spots and got nowhere. I didn't want to strip the protection in too many locations so I just did a few spots with no success.

I went ahead and picked up a Mother's clay bar kit and tried that. Funny thing is a lot of the spots did come up with the clay bar. It had no affect on some, others became less noticeable and some came up all together.

I'm thinking with all the other surface defects on this new black car I'm thinking I may just get it detailed by someone trustworthy as they would more than likely know how to get this car looking good.

I'm really dumb founded as to how it was etched so quickly, but what I'm thinking is it may have sat out on the lot for a while and now that the heavy glaze the dealer put on is wearing off after a few car washes I'm finally seeing these spots. I can't imagine I could actually inflict these in a month of ownership, but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kmedeiros View Post
    what I'm thinking is it may have sat out on the lot for a while and now that the heavy glaze the dealer put on is wearing off after a few car washes I'm finally seeing these spots. I can't imagine I could actually inflict these in a month of ownership, but I could be wrong.

You hit the nail on the head, odds are really good that they were there when you bought the car and the cheap glaze/wax the dealership used has worn off. I would finish claying the car, then use something like Meguiar's UC / UP combo to finish the paint off.