autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post New White Wheels - Keeping Them Clean (Optimum products)

Hey guys and gals. I got some white Rota Grid wheels arriving on Tuesday for my white car and I want to do everything I can to keep them looking good daily and for years to come.

I've already spent a lot of time reading up on different products and I went ahead and purchased a few things from AutoGeek a few days ago. I would like to share with you all what I bought and how I plan to use it. And since I'm a newb whose only knowledge of these kinds of things comes from research on the internet, I want to hear what you guys think and make sure that I'm doing this right!

So I ordered some Optimum Polish II, Optimum Gloss Coat (10CC), Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator, and some Yellow Foam Wax Applicators. I already have some Optimum No Rinse & Wash from my last purchase at AutoGeek.

When I get the new wheels on Tuesday my plan is to wash them with the Optimum No Rise & Wash, dry them, polish them with the Optimum Polish II & Yellow Foam Wax Applicators, wipe them down clean with a microfiber cloth, and finally coat them with the Optimum Gloss Coat using the Opti Dual Pro Applicator.

So I'm going to put the Optimum Gloss Coat on right after wiping the residue from the Optimum Polish II off. I will not be using any IPA solution as I've read it won't be necessary when using the Optimum Polish II.

So to all you expert auto geeks out there who actually know what they're doing... how does that sound to you? Did I select the right products and is this the best process for applying them? Would anyone suggest anything different or offer any tips, suggestions, or recommendations for me?

Looking forward to hearing what you all think! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New White Wheels - Keeping Them Clean (Optimum products)

Quote Originally Posted by digs View Post
    Hey guys and gals. I got some white Rota Grid wheels arriving on Tuesday for my white car and I want to do everything I can to keep them looking good daily and for years to come.

I've already spent a lot of time reading up on different products and I went ahead and purchased a few things from AutoGeek a few days ago. I would like to share with you all what I bought and how I plan to use it. And since I'm a newb whose only knowledge of these kinds of things comes from research on the internet, I want to hear what you guys think and make sure that I'm doing this right!

So I ordered some Optimum Polish II, Optimum Gloss Coat (10CC), Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator, and some Yellow Foam Wax Applicators. I already have some Optimum No Rinse & Wash from my last purchase at AutoGeek.

When I get the new wheels on Tuesday my plan is to wash them with the Optimum No Rise & Wash, dry them, polish them with the Optimum Polish II & Yellow Foam Wax Applicators, wipe them down clean with a microfiber cloth, and finally coat them with the Optimum Gloss Coat using the Opti Dual Pro Applicator.

So I'm going to put the Optimum Gloss Coat on right after wiping the residue from the Optimum Polish II off. I will not be using any IPA solution as I've read it won't be necessary when using the Optimum Polish II.

So to all you expert auto geeks out there who actually know what they're doing... how does that sound to you? Did I select the right products and is this the best process for applying them? Would anyone suggest anything different or offer any tips, suggestions, or recommendations for me?

Looking forward to hearing what you all think! Thanks!
    Welcome to AG! Sounds like you've got all your bases covered. However, Optimum has recently stated that they now recommend that you do a simple wipedown with a slightly damp MF before applying Gloss Coat or OC Pro.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got it covered. Post some pictures of the wheels once you get them too!
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jarred. I'm assuming slightly damp with distilled water?

For those who might be interested, here is what the wheels look like:

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I will be doing this before putting the tires on. I will not do anything to the outside of the rim (where the tire goes on) besides wash it, as polishing & coating that shouldn't be necessary, right?

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I will be doing this before putting the tires on. I will not do anything to the outside of the rim (where the tire goes on) besides wash it, as polishing & coating that shouldn't be necessary, right?
    Definitely much easier to do with being just the wheel. I would personally think that it be a waste of time, money and product to to do anything to the outside of the rims. That will be covered by the tire for the life of the rim aside from when you get new tires eventually, so it seems pointless to me.

Nice rims BTW! They'll be fun to keep looking that good, so a good coating will be extremely helpful, you seem to have planned well.

Oh, and yes, just damp with distilled water is fine.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Did I select the right products and is this the best process for applying them? Would anyone suggest anything different or offer any tips, suggestions, or recommendations for me?
    I think you are going to have difficulty applying the GC with the hard side of that Dual-Pro applicator (which is the side intended for coatings). It works well on large flat surfaces, but I find it's too inflexible for compound curves and tight spaces, and not what I would pick for a wheel.

For wheels I like to use a small folded piece of blue Scott shop (paper) towel, apply a few drops at a time to the towel. If it gets dirty (which it shouldn't on new wheels) or frayed just change to a new piece. And use good lighting. Pretty easy to get around in the back and between spokes that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jarred767 View Post
    Optimum has recently stated that they now recommend that you do a simple wipedown with a slightly damp MF before applying Gloss Coat or OC Pro.
    Where did you hear that? We went from OPC wash or IPA wipe to damp towel wipe to dry wipe and now we're back to damp wipe?

Normally I would agree with jarred that the pressurized part of the wheel would be a waste of time to coat, I'm not so sure after a recent discussion with my tire shop. I was bemoaning the fact that while some OEM's paint the wheel barrels, many higher end makes do not, meaning that the barrels corrode over time (at least here in the salt belt on a DD) and you wind up getting them repainted.

He said his issue was that some OEM's (again high-end makes) don't paint where the tire goes and that since most air has water content, the inside of the wheel corrodes over time. Yours are painted of course, and I would be a little concerned about the slickness of GC (keeping in mind I haven't used it yet) where the bead sits on the wheel (I wouldn't hesitate with OC 2.0). So you can go either way with that part.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Gloss Coat be layered? If so I would attempt multiple layers. It amazing how hot and corrosive brake pad material is. I Opti Coated my track wheels and it only held up so so (lot of embedded materials). But I figure on a street car it would be fine. When I get my new wheels I plan on putting a few layers of the coating I am using.

Post Thanks / Like

Do an IPA wipedown after polish. Just wiping the polish off is not enough. Make sure to have good lighting. The surface should look 'wet' after you go over it with the Gloss-coat. Wait 5+ minutes before attacking high spots.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sexy rims! White are awesome if you can pull it off, and so few cars can.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So if I do an IPA wipedown after polish does it matter what % or kind of IPA I use? Do I just buy some 95% IPA from Walmart and use that straight up with a microfiber cloth to wipe it all down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast