autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: GG DA Questions as well backing plate issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bossmustang16 View Post
    I use ultimate compound as my compound, not sure if i mentioned that above.. but sometimes I like to use the swirlx if the finish isn't bad just has swirling and light scratches like my mustang.. I haven't tried it on the orange gg pad i have but i hit a test spot with the black finishing pad yesterday and it did pretty good.
    If you like how it finishes on a black pad then I guess stick with that. You might try Ultimate Polish and see how you like that.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

SwirlX is a very versatile product. I position it as a "one step" polish, and can alter it's performance by choice of pad. Microfiber being the most aggressive, and the blue lake country ccs being the least.

In my small travel kit, is where I keep the SwirlX, and find that I like it best paired with an orange Hex Logic pad, which is considered a light cutting pad. Personally, I find that while the pad itself doesn't offer much in the way of "pad bite", the firmness and density allow me to manipulate how hard I dig with the abrasives. In this set up, I'm not going for 100% perfection, just a basic clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the best backing plate I've used for working with 3" pads on a DA polisher. The holes in the backing plate cut way down on the amount of heat generated during compounding/polishing, the velcro material on these plates is the strongest and longest lasting in the industry, bar none.

3M Clean Sanding 3 inch Disc Backing Plate Kit, 3M sanding disc backing plate with adapters, backing plate adapter kit, six hole sanding disc

It's totally worth the inflated 3M price tag.

If you do go with this backing plate, you'll want to apply Loctite (red) high strength to the adapter threads before inserting the adapter into the backing plate then tighten the adapter with a wrench.

Post Thanks / Like

so the question is for polishing effect, I should use my black gg pad and speed like 3-4.. and if i wanna remove swirls with it, the orange pad with speed 5? (somebody please answer that question > But it feels like theres never a need to actually just polish up after anything.. the ultimate compound finishes so dang good and the swirlx does as well no matter what pad i choose..

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bossmustang16 View Post
    so the question is for polishing effect, I should use my black gg pad and speed like 3-4.. and if i wanna remove swirls with it, the orange pad with speed 5? (somebody please answer that question > But it feels like theres never a need to actually just polish up after anything.. the ultimate compound finishes so dang good and the swirlx does as well no matter what pad i choose..
    I believe those questions were answered.

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    slow everything down, esp with the small pads. slow the speed, slow the arm...make your passes, check you work, repeat if necessary. imo no need to go that fast with that machine imo - maybe someone has another idea. just make sure the pad is spinning when you're working.

about the backing plate - as mentioned, what you have is fine. i use a 2 7/8" rotary plate with 3" Griot's pads on both my rotary and DA. i got it a long time before they made 2 7/8" plates specifically for DAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    5-5.5 is usually about as high as I need to go when compounding using the GG6 and say an LC orange pad. That would be with the 5.5" pad. With the four inch pads, I usually drop down .5-1 so 4-4.5.

Just squeeze the side of the foam pad and pull it off. They are sturdier than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I would have to agree. I tried an orange pad (actually 2 of them) on speed 6 last year and I never burnt up a pad so fast in my life. I thought it was just cause the temps outside but NOPE.

First, make sure you take a magic marker and mark your backing plate, just a solid line, about ¼" wide in one place. That way you can see the pad is rotating, and what that speed is.

With a 4" pad you will always see increased rotational speed at the same speed than you would with a 5½" or a 6½" pad. With that in mind, William already stated that you'd drop down your speed a factor of -.5 over what you'd use with a larger pad.

I generally don't have to run anything faster than 4.5 MAXIMUM with a 4" CCS pad on the GG6. It'll start doing it's job as low as 3.5 and really go to work by the time you get to 4.0. Polishing doesn't necessarily have to be slower than compounding either. In fact, it can be a bit faster.

When doing the final polishing step you can lighten your arm pressure, go from an arm speed of 1" per second to 1½"~2" per second, and speed up your machine speed .3 to .5 depending on what's working for you at the time. And.... of course what type of product you're polishing with. If it's a DAT product you're going to have to work it down completely to get the most out of it anyhow, which means 8~10 section passes. (Whereas with SMAT products you can, (and will) reach the end of the working cycle much faster.)

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for all the info guys! love this forum, just wished i could use the search function more effectively.. maybe i'll figure it out lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12