autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Question

Soon I'll be purchasing the Wolfgang swirl remover combo (total swirl remover and finishing glaze). Together, they come in 8 oz. bottles each. How many cars will I be able to do with an 8 oz. bottle? For reference, first I'll be working on an '09 Chevrolet Malibu and then a '11 Chevrolet Silverado quad cab with a painted bed cover. The paint isn't that bad on the truck, but there is a lot of truck to polish and I'm thinking 8 oz. of each would't be enough for both cars. I'm also looking at purchasing Menzerna super finish (SF4500). If I use the total swirl remover, can I finish with SF4500 or do I need to use the finishing glaze and then SF4500? This will be my first time polishing so I'm new at this. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Question

For what its worth, i generally use about 1 - 2 oz of polish per moderately sized vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be more than enough.

Yes you could definitely finish with SF4500, although I don't think you will need it as WG FG is actually made by Menzerna and very close to the same.

Just remember you only need a few dots after priming the pad and doing your first section pass.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. So I should get the same results using the finishing glaze or SF4500? I thought SF4500 was a finer polish than the finishing glaze.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Sf4500 and WG FG are too similar to see any real difference. I would skip the sf4500

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick one or the other but wouldn't waste time or money using both. Do 2 test spots, 1 for each of the 2 finish polishes you have and compare the results. Then go with the one you like better.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    Sf4500 and WG FG are too similar to see any real difference. I would skip the sf4500

To add to that however, unless you're working with crazy soft paint (which those two ARE NOT) I'd get SF4000. SF4000 has more cut but finishes just as well (same gloss) as SF4500. Sure..... on SOME paints SF4500 will give you that nth degree of gloss (with a jewelling pad and the associated process) that SF4000 *may or may not* give. Overall though SF4000 is as much as you'd ever need.

In fact, it'd be easy to go from 400, to 2000 to 4000 and never need anything else. Lots of (paint) systems will be fine just going from 400 to 2000 and calling it a day. Heck, even 400 has been used all by itself as an excellent AIO. You can start with a orange pad, work it halfway through it's process, then switch to a blue pad and finish it down. YES it's THAT good!

Oh, and as was mentioned, the WG trio is made by Menzerna (for AG) so it's pretty similar (just works longer, and cost's more).

Post Thanks / Like

If I got the menzerna polishes instead, which ones would you recommend? Only problem I see with choosing menzerna over wolfgang is that menzerna quantities are much greater and I do this as a hobby so it won't get used that often. Maybe a few times a year at best.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

8oz of WGTSR should be plenty for your two vehicles

8oz of WGFG will last even longer

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures would really help to determine which menz product to go with. What pads do you have? What color vehicle are we working on? You might be able to to go wg Uber and finishing glaze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast