autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: coatings useless or fantastic? what do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    This thread is great because there's some "non regulars" coming in and making points, points that are well sorted and posted so one can follow and really understand where they're coming from, thank you guys, you know who you are and don't be a stranger here, ok

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2
    i agree. apparently i was getting some heat within the depths of the web for making this thread...or something, but i'm glad people are taking the time to contribute and make yet another clearing house for info on this tech.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

The over-selling of the products is not restricted to coatings. Some, not all, companies have almost made a living from over-hyping their wares. It annoys me immensely when I see this going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Even the most respected companies over step the marketing line with claims of permanent products, near effortless results, and so easy your grandma could do it...all of which are crossing ethical lines all in an effort to sell products or services. We all pride ourselves in thinking we are good consumers. That too is also not true much of the time.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

My first coating was Opticoat,2.0 and my second was EXO. I applied them 1 weekend apart to have a durability race. The cars both sit out 24x7. Mine get more mileage but they both lasted about 2 years. Would I like more durability, Sure. But 2 years after waxing every 3 weeks or sealing every 2-3 months is a pleasure. It just it makes washing so easy.

I would not steer you to or away from either. They are similar in application and remember the key is the prep. Wash-clay-decon (iron x)-wash again, dry, Polish until your happy with the paint, wipe with IPA and apply in a well lit, dust free setting.

Work in small areas so that you can get all the high spots buffed off before it sets up and is too laste.

What was your "gateway" coating? If I was to go that route, I'm thinking DP's as it seems the lowest cost and fairly forgiving to apply.

If I go this route, I'll do similar. My wife and daughter's cars don't get a lot of attention since they are driven heavily and I don't have access to them as much as I'd like. The wife's car is also an SUV, so the fewer times I have to touch it the better. I'll leave the waxes and sealants for my car as it's small and I enjoy working on it.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

What do you see from C1 different from EXO alone?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I've used EXO and Opti Coat 2.0 similar feelings about the products. I've recently started using C1 EXO combo. I've used C2v3 mixed 20:1 with distiller water as a drying aid to bring back the gloss and slickness on the EXO. Works great and very inexpensive. I'm going to try it on Opticoat as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are great but you have to educate your customer since there is no such thing as a permanent coating not even your clear coat is permanent. Anyone sell it as such is a flat out liar and should be selling them. I'm very honest and up front with my customers about the coating I sell. You have to take care of the coating just like a clear coat and they are not bullet proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35x View Post
    What do you see from C1 different from EXO alone?
    I did it mainly for more scratch resistance. It seems to give the paint a little more depth, hard to tell on Pearl white. Both the cars I've done so far have been Pearl white.It did seem to have a glassier look, or more of the candy coated look. I will be doing a couple dark metallic cars soon provided the weather cooperates. One is my Camaro that currently just has EXO so that will give me a comparison.
    Application in 70 degree weather is much easier than 90 degrees. Hopefully I'll get to do my Camaro in a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can get the correction done on my wife's dark green Honda DD tonight after work or tomorrow before I trudge in, I'll be doing the C1/EXO. I expect it to be a smooth experience, as it's about 62° in the garage after a couple hours with the doors closed.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Im curious to know how some of you feel who have used the higher end coatings, like Modesta or Cquartz finest. Are the extra $$$ worth the money? How about durability? Ease of maintenance?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    Coatings capabilities have been oversold,

Many ethically challenged folks have used these products to upsell on jobs, while at the same time not even get close to high level correction................. slamming on the product in some cases (Outside in the elements during the initial application) or even delivering the car less than a half hour after the product was wiped off.

The bubble will burst...............when the consumer get's educated on the real world performance VS "Selling ice to eskimo's" sales practices.

In this "Me2" furor, it has been disappointing to watch the developments of the makers of some of the products to guys flip flopping on the sales approach in order to "Get paid" totally selling out there integrity and care not...............in fact brag about this in private(Or so they thought) Facebook groups.

Someone is always watching gents...................always.
    In an elevator with X number of people farting - this is a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

One question. I've got a $3 bottle of Nu-Finish "The Once a Year Car Polish", and a garage. How long can I expect it to last under *ideal* conditions?

Edit: just to be clear, I am not promoting Nu-Finish.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast