autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin questions

When I see Nanoskin on this or any other website I've been trying to turn my head the other way because 1 towel or mitt cost so much over clay. But of late it's been getting harder to ignore. So let me ask you guys.

Does it really work as good as clay?
    Should you clay after anyway?
    Can you use it as you wash with soap or do you need to use clay lube?

I can't really remember the article but I think I read something from Mike Phillips saying that sometimes it's better to clay than use Nanoskin. I could be wrong here.

Oh, and did I mention the price for just one. Sheeeesh.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin questions

My answer ....Yes

I have taken my claying time from 1+ hours down to 15-20 mins for a car

You can easily get 50 cars out of one towel. If you drop the towel or mitt simply rinse it off in the sink and move on.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 blue and 1 yellow towel, and it does make it much faster, BUT I noticed on some car's it doesn't seem to get it all. Being new to the detailing business I was unsure if a perfectly containment free finish was doable but many times if I go back over it with clay it seems to pick up more. We actually bought 2 blue and 1 yellow towel on suggestion from the detailing store and I find myself only using the yellow. As of late I have been doing the hood with the towel then baggy testing it and going over with clay if needed. But we just opened our detailing business a few months ago and everything I have learned has been from hours and hours of youtube, google and this forum so maybe it is user error, although it seems pretty error proof. Or maybe I am going for perfection where perfection isn't possible. That has been a big problem since starting. Not being able to walk away from a car until it's perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get the nanoskin sponges. They're nice

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    When I see Nanoskin on this or any other website I've been trying to turn my head the other way because 1 towel or mitt cost so much over clay. But of late it's been getting harder to ignore. So let me ask you guys.

1. Does it really work as good as clay?
    2. Should you clay after anyway?
    3. Can you use it as you wash with soap or do you need to use clay lube?

I can't really remember the article but I think I read something from Mike Phillips saying that sometimes it's better to clay than use Nanoskin. I could be wrong here.

OK, so lets get these in order 1, 2, 3.

1: YES
    2: NO
    3: YES

I'll agree, for what... $55 for a single pad... The Nanoskin alternative seems ridiculously priced. That is until you get one!

Think of it this way, by their own admission a Nanoskin pad should do (at least) 10 vehicles. That'd be $5.50 per vehicle if it totally wears out by then and becomes totally useless.

Now, decent clay is AT LEAST $25 these days and while you'll not use the entire bar on one vehicle, I know you'll never get 10 done with it. That leads to what happens if you drop the clay you're working with? Instantly it goes in the trash!
    (Well... if you're really OCD, then you'll pick out anything you THINK you can see/feel and you might relegate it to being used on wheels, or the BACKS of wheels, but it's clear that it'll NEVER see paint again.)

Then lets talk about the three biggest benefits of using Nanoskin.
    1: It is VERY easy to use.
    2: It takes VERY little time to do an entire vehicle.
    3: (And certainly not least) If you drop it.... WASH IT OFF and keep using it.

In the end Nanoskin cost so much less to use, in both material cost... AND ESPECIALLY time... that it's actually a bargain.

I would say though to get the DA pad and get the sponges as well. I like the red/blue sponges because one side is rounded and the other is flat with sharp corners. Having the ability to get up to edges is something that the DA just isn't going to do as effectively. Oh, and the red one is NICE on glass!

Post Thanks / Like

What's a clay?
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

And the auto scrubber can be had on ebay for $30 love using it. Takes about half the time of clay and just wash it off.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    2014 Toyota Venza LE-Attitude Black Metallic
    2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 - Royal Red Metallic
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL - Slate Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I've used clay a few times and loved the result. It did take awhile to do the minivan so I think a nanoskin would be great. But I just can't wrap my head around how it can be cleaned so easily. It seems to me that some of those removed contaminants would forever cling to the material.

Is it really that easy to clean? If so, I think I'll put some on my list.

Post Thanks / Like

I love using the Nanoskin. Personally I would say it preforms as good as clay. Haven't been using clay since the turn to Nanoskin.

My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

Does it really work as good as clay?
    Should you clay after anyway?
    Can you use it as you wash with soap or do you need to use clay lube?

Like I said in another post, if you try the Nanoskin system you will throw the clay in the trash.

I wasn't joking, the results are much better, quicker and easier. The only way I would use clay again is if I couldn't get the Nanoskin pads any more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast