autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Id's this what I should expect from Second Skin Six?

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    I always used the beading to tell me that my protection was in place
    "beading isnt all that it's cracked up to be". ~ Anonymous

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of CG, however when it comes to coatings i prefer CQUK. Not only is it cheaper, it seems to work better overall.

When it comes to the prep portion too-- the Second Skin has almost zero prep requirements.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Id's this what I should expect from Second Skin Six?

If someone can give me one iota of proof that a coating that doesn't bead or sheet well on paint is still existing on the paint - please let me know.

Other than beading/sheeting - you have no way to tell if the coating failed. So, in my head - a coating not designed to bead/sheet may not even be sticking to the paint...who knows???

Not to mention, any highly hydrophobic surface seems to stay cleaner and is easier to clean by pressure washing...

What good is a coating with poor hydrophobicity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    If someone can give me one iota of proof that a coating that doesn't bead or sheet well on paint is still existing on the paint - please let me know.

Other than beading/sheeting - you have no way to tell if the coating failed. So, in my head - a coating not designed to bead/sheet may not even be sticking to the paint...who knows???

Not to mention, any highly hydrophobic surface seems to stay cleaner and is easier to clean by pressure washing...

What good is a coating with poor hydrophobicity?
    I agree, and this is why I'm more inclined to be directed towards a product that has more durable high surface tension capabilities. That is, one whose surface tension properties are less likely to change over time irregardless of whatever chemical/soap/water has been introduced to the surface. It specifically tells me that a product is continuing to do what it was designed to do. The more a product behaves when wet like there's nothing on the surface, the more I question whether or not something is really there, and I'm completely in the dark in figuring out when it has to be reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Okay, prep was clay bar, Meguiars ultimate polish with my Flex, wash with a strong solution of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss and then in for the coating. The car was fully corrected a year ago and had just over 5000 miles on it, so it wasn't bad at all. It was previously protected with the UPP and I would use Meguiars X-Press spray wax on it every 4-6 weeks. It used to bead like it was pissed off at water!

This might be your problem, the gloss agent in Wash and Gloss might have "protected" the paint from the coating, and residual soap could be present if the washing concentration was exceedingly strong and the rinse was inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Based on the video I posted from CG, it appears that it may be performing just fine. Beading does not indicate protection.

I have to disagree with this statement. Beading IS an indication of protection. It isn't the ONLY indicator of protection, nor does it indicate the quality or duration of protection, but it certainly is an indictation that some form of protection is on the paint. Even the oils left over from polishing is a type of protection, until they wash off or evaporate.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention this as well in my reply, this is typical of how Second Skin behaves with water. It has a much lower surface tension, so you should not be expecting enhanced spherical beading with it. I don't believe anything you did while applying it negatively impacted its surface tension properties. This video here shows the sheeting style of SS6 after 48 hour cure time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nRzEfnv-Q

Post Thanks / Like

I washed it good this afternoon and went over it with 2 applications of Meguiars X-Press spray wax, an hour apart. Now it has the typical super wet and super slick feel. I'm happy, it will now bead water tenaciously I'm sure!

Post Thanks / Like

So, nowhere on the CG website does it say that SS6 is a hydrophobic coating. Rather, it says that it is "resistant to moisture."

There are some observable qualities of coatings and there are the more microscopic qualities of coatings that we can't observe.

Can a coating technically protect the clear coat (and thus the paint) without demonstrating any of the traditional qualities of what we typically observe in a coating (sheeting, beading, etc.)? Of course.

The only way to tell for sure is if you applied it correctly and then after the expected cure time tested the surface. If the surface demonstrated very poor wetting capability, then SS6 is a hydrophobic coating that should sheet and bead very well. Therefore, if after a month your coating displayed good wetting capacity (as yours seems to display), then the coating failed -- either because it was applied incorrectly or the product doesn't work as advertised.

If there is anything on top of the coating, then the wetting capacity will be that of the top coating. If you have road grime and film all over your car (despite having a nano coating), you may not get very good beading or sheeting.

Considering that all the other coatings and hybrid coatings out there display excellent hydrophobicity (poor wetting capacity), it stands to reason (but not logic) that SS6 should as well. Therefore, I suspect that if it's been a month and properly applied, SS6 just failed.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I forgot to mention this as well in my reply, this is typical of how Second Skin behaves with water. It has a much lower surface tension, so you should not be expecting enhanced spherical beading with it. I don't believe anything you did while applying it negatively impacted its surface tension properties. This video here shows the sheeting style of SS6 after 48 hour cure time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nRzEfnv-Q
    I love the "laugh" of disappointment in the video... almost as much as like the the title, which describes 48 hours as long term.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty lame. A skin that doesn't bead, huh. What will CG think of next?
    What does a sealant/skin that doesn't bead protect you from? Maybe, compliments about your car?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast