autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do you handle customers like this?

this makes sense. sometimes I let my personality get too involved in my decision making. I'm the person that always yields the right of way, the guy that always holds the door, the person that goes to an all inclusive resort and ends up spending $200 that week in tips when nobody else in line gives a penny. I have been known to buy complete strangers a drink at the bar just because, I constantly donate to causes that mean nothing to me, and I have given the person running the drive thru window an extra $20 to pay for the next few orders on multiple occasions. I have never done these to things to get paid back, but I have always believed in Karma. I have always believed that someday I would get treated the same way. I haven't, and its getting old. and then, customers like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Customers like that will make you broke. In my opinion you should not have given the customer anything for free once the customer hears something for free they expect more and more for less and less. You should raise your prices, document before and after's, and talk to the customer as to what they would like done and give them an estimate on price. If they would like something addressed like the paint transfer then you need to explain to them that you can do it but it will cost X amount of dollars for that service. While you would like to impress your customers you still need to realize that you need to make money and doing work for free is not going to help you make any money.

Give your customers a realistic expectation on what you think the outcome will be or what you know the outcome will be with certain situations this will help address the customers needs along with your ability to meet those needs. If you go above and beyond what the customer needs then great but make sure not to go to fat over those as you can be making more money on those.

Think of it this way when you go to Wendy's and order a hamburger you don't get the cheese. They will ask you if you would like the cheese and if you say yes they will charge you for that piece of cheese.

The same roles will apply for detailing. If the customer would like their engine detailed it is just a simple add on service that you can continue to make money on.

It's always great to under promise and over deliver to a certain extent.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Renny Doyle's book on how to run a part-time detailing business out of your home. In this book he goes into great detail about how to enhance the amount of money you can make while delivering the right results to the right customers.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I give them a price. If they don't like it I say "get away from me" I do this part time. I don't need Bull crap customers like that. My motto is "you pay or you go away".
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the book. have read it twice. a lot of the points in there apply to higher end areas where you can get $200+ for details. around here, not going to happen. I appreciate the help, I need to stop being so nice. but its going to be hard.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why it is important to discuss not only the service you are providing but tell them also what they are NOT paying for.

Best thing to do with these types of people is to price yourself above them or decline doing the service for them. People wanting caviar on a tuna fish budget will cause you nothing but trouble and you won't make anything off of it.

The cheapest people are almost always the pickiest. Sad but true.

Edit and translation: what Evan said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miad View Post
    I have the book. have read it twice. a lot of the points in there apply to higher end areas where you can get $200+ for details. around here, not going to happen. I appreciate the help, I need to stop being so nice. but its going to be hard.
    Im not trying to be rude or disrespectful here, promise.

But you are wrong. There is always a higher end market and people willing to pay for quality but you have to work yourself into that circle and earn their trust.

Want to know something crazy? When I showed up in my market and started charging more than the "$75 full detail" guys, I had tons of people coming to me simply because the low prices horrified them, and they were not going to let anyone that cheap touch their vehicles! True story. Perception is reality, and higher expense is almost always perceived as higher quality.

Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    This is why it is important to discuss not only the service you are providing but tell them also what they are NOT paying for.

Best thing to do with these types of people is to price yourself above them or decline doing the service for them. People wanting caviar on a tuna fish budget will cause you nothing but trouble and you won't make anything off of it.

The cheapest people are almost always the pickiest. Sad but true.

Edit and translation: what Evan said.

yes and yes

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you guys. really appreciate it. makes sense.

hey HD, where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Im not trying to be rude or disrespectful here, promise.

But you are wrong. There is always a higher end market and people willing to pay for quality but you have to work yourself into that circle and earn their trust.

Want to know something crazy? When I showed up in my market and started charging more than the "$75 full detail" guys, I had tons of people coming to me simply because the low prices horrified them, and they were not going to let anyone that cheap touch their vehicles! True story. Perception is reality, and higher expense is almost always perceived as higher quality.

Yes, the EXP in EXPDeatiling stands for "expensive." I will tell that straight to anyone's face.
    The CHP in CHPDetailing, stands for "cheap" detailing. I will tell that to anyone's face, but I'll be wearing a wig.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess you handle this customer like any other. Charge your fee and perform the work & quality of work that satisfies "you" for the price that you feel comfortable with.

I performed a full detail just a few weeks ago and the customer dropped off a vehicle with a completely dead battery. I could not even charge the battery with a battery charger. Every time I wanted to move the electric seats or windows, I had to use a jump box. Customer called me later after drop-off and wanted me to check her oil & tire pressure as both lights were illuminated on the dash. I told her that I am not a mechanical shop and will not check the oil or dash light. I did agree to check the tire pressure of each tire. Fast forward, the customer arrives to pick-up the vehicle. She likes the detail work and ask about her battery. Stunned, I stated you brought me a vehicle with a completely dead battery that warrants replacement. Customer stated she expected me to charge the battery. I apologized and once again stated I am not a mechanical shop and do not perform mechanical work. Customer has me start her vehicle (with my jump box) and she notices the engine oil light is still on and the tire light is on. I explain that I read her owner's manual and explained the process that she must drive the car a few miles and the sensor will reset. Well !!! The customer went ballistic and stated that I had ripped her off. I failed to live up to my obligation to resolve the battery issue, engine oil light issue and tire pressure light. The customer refused to pay me and left in her vehicle (mind you I had already jumped started her vehicle prior to her refusal to pay because she wanted to "check" the vehicle out).
    It is clear that this customer was never going to pay and simply set up the situation to match her own failed expectations.
    Well now I am taking her to small claims court. After she received her summons she called me and chewed me out as to why I would take her to court. In her mind I clearly did not perform up to "her" expectations and she feels justified in non-payment. Hmmmmmmm!!

We all need to deal with the loopy customer once in awhile !!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast