autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Polishing CQUK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing CQUK

PIP - are u refering to cquk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRam View Post
    PIP - are u refering to cquk?
    No, I have no affiliation with carpro and have no idea what is in cquk. I was speaking generically.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    Polish half off the panel then pour water on both sides. Look at the hydrophobic properties.
    You will need and Eraser or IPA wipedown after polishing

The residual oils in the polish will make the surface hydrophobic

Post Thanks / Like

a few months back... I had an incident with my sister-in-law, dirty car, and a towel I normally use for wheels. She thought she was helping.

I used Reflect with a black pad and was able to remove the fine scratches with ease. I was ready to re-coat my hood but after several heavy wipe down with Eraser....I noticed the surface was still slick to the touch. The hydrophobic properties were the same as before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    a few months back... I had an incident with my sister-in-law, dirty car, and a towel I normally use for wheels. She thought she was helping.

I used Reflect with a black pad and was able to remove the fine scratches with ease. I was ready to re-coat my hood but after several heavy wipe down with Eraser....I noticed the surface was still slick to the touch. The hydrophobic w were the same as before.
    Good to know. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    As a general point, not all coatings can be removed by polishing. We certainly have one which we recommend people do not attempt to remove. Such is the bonding, you would almost certainly damage the underlying paint when attempting to remove it. This technology is not unique to us so, whilst I cannot tell you which other products use it, it is worth being careful with coatings because some really do not react well to heavy polishing.

Interesting. Can you explain more details as to what is happening?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    Interesting. Can you explain more details as to what is happening?
    We have come to believe that the problem is that the bond to the paint is just so strong that there is no reasonable way of breaking it. Also, the coating can be harder than the paint and that 'scratch resistance' which we like actually means that a polish/compound has less effect on the coating than the paint. So, as you polish it, it is a bit of a lottery as to where you first breach the coating. once you do, you are going to start eating through the paint quickly whilst the coating in the surrounding area is still resisting. Our experience has been that this can mean you start getting a rather rippled, orange peel type effect.

We have yet to explore this in great depth and this may be a result of having used heavy compounds and it may not be the same with something light (though, you would need to do a heck of a lot of work, in this case).

This is all something of an educated guess as it is something we have only just discovered. It is also plausible that the solvents (which are pretty potent) have modified the clearcoat such that, once you remove the coating, what remains is different from what it began. Ultimately I just wonder how much testing has been done with coatings and attempts to remove fully - given that some are intended as permanent, it would not be surprising to find that limited amounts of work will have been done to try to remove said coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    We have come to believe that the problem is that the bond to the paint is just so strong that there is no reasonable way of breaking it. Also, the coating can be harder than the paint and that 'scratch resistance' which we like actually means that a polish/compound has less effect on the coating than the paint. So, as you polish it, it is a bit of a lottery as to where you first breach the coating. once you do, you are going to start eating through the paint quickly whilst the coating in the surrounding area is still resisting. Our experience has been that this can mean you start getting a rather rippled, orange peel type effect.

We have yet to explore this in great depth and this may be a result of having used heavy compounds and it may not be the same with something light (though, you would need to do a heck of a lot of work, in this case).

This is all something of an educated guess as it is something we have only just discovered. It is also plausible that the solvents (which are pretty potent) have modified the clearcoat such that, once you remove the coating, what remains is different from what it began. Ultimately I just wonder how much testing has been done with coatings and attempts to remove fully - given that some are intended as permanent, it would not be surprising to find that limited amounts of work will have been done to try to remove said coating.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody thing maybe doing a light polish by hand would be a better option in this situation than machine polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I have (as suggested) and no issues. Don't forget light polish. Corey knows his stuff, trust me!
    So what polish/pad combo did you use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast