autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finishing polish, how many passes?

I was just wondering if you all do less passes for a finish polish than say for correction work. Or perhaps you increase your arm speed a bit as well. Not going for blemish removal just to bring up the shine.

Perhaps it's depending on the product you are using. I was using the Menzerna 4000 polish yesterday and it seemed to want more time than the Rupes white polish I used on Friday. Both gave me excellent results. With the Rupes it seemed as though 2-3 passes and the polish was gone. The Menzerna needed a lot more perhaps 6 or so passes to diminish. Unless you don't need to work it so long.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing polish, how many passes?

With DAT based polishes such as Menzerna, you need to work them longer to break the abrasives down. I normally work it for 6-8 passes.

However if you are using a SMAT polish such as Meguiar's, 2-3 passes will suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    With the Menzerna I worked it untill it looked kind of like cloudy water. 6 Passes is about what it took. does this sound about right?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is a master at that technique and 6 passes is within his recommended range (6-8) so i would guess that would do it. How did it look after you wiped?

I agree with the longer working time of DAT's and particularly Menzerna. I will go pretty long with a fine polish like the SF4500 on a black pad until i am left with just a filmy looking oily thin residue on my black paint. I lighten up my pressure quite a bit for those last jewelling passes. That stuff amazes me every time when wiped clean.

As far as number of passes with finish polish vs. cutting, i am usually working my finish a bit longer and finesse it a bit. My arm motion speeds stay about the same though. Generally slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article I put together on maximizing the use of DAT based polishes on the 3401.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

6 passes is right in range but the important thing is that you don't over apply product to the pad and saturate it. When you are finished with a section pass of 6-8, you should only have a very thin film left that looks like a thin coat of an LSP. This is a breeze to remove. When you go to wipe off, if you have any difficulties removing it you may not have worked it long enough of over applied the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Mike is a master at that technique and 6 passes is within his recommended range (6-8) so i would guess that would do it. How did it look after you wiped?

I agree with the longer working time of DAT's and particularly Menzerna. I will go pretty long with a fine polish like the SF4500 on a black pad until i am left with just a filmy looking oily thin residue on my black paint. I lighten up my pressure quite a bit for those last jewelling passes. That stuff amazes me every time when wiped clean.

As far as number of passes with finish polish vs. cutting, i am usually working my finish a bit longer and finesse it a bit. My arm motion speeds stay about the same though. Generally slow.
    Thanks.

I agree, thin is in when applying and working Menzerna polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Puckman; When I wiped off the residue the paint looked very good. I always wonder though if it's as good as it could be since I don't yet have a lot of experience to go by. I did have a little trouble wiping the polish off of the roof in some parts. I guess maybe I didn't work the polish long enough.

Mike; great write up on your method I have read it twice. I am waiting for my hybrid pads to come in from AG. Meanwhile I am using a Rupes polisher with no real downward pressure along with the Rupes pads for now. I have a flex 3401 and it's a great machine but, it has a vibration pitch that has started to bother my right hand lately . I find with the Rupes (LHR 15ES )it has less vibration and the machine is also lighter so its easier on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    Mike; great write up on your method I have read it twice. I am waiting for my hybrid pads to come in from AG. Meanwhile I am using a Rupes polisher with no real downward pressure along with the Rupes pads for now. I have a flex 3401 and it's a great machine but, it has a vibration pitch that has started to bother my right hand lately . I find with the Rupes (LHR 15ES )it has less vibration and the machine is also lighter so its easier on me.
    Thank you sir.

When you get the Hybrids in, pair them with the 3401 and use my technique. Also the vibration is less with the smaller 5" pads rather than the 6.5" pads. You will need to exert a bit of pressure though unlike the RUPES system.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike,
    I did indeed order the 5 inch pads.
    The waiting is the hard part now.
    Will the hybrid pads work with the Rupes polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    With DAT based polishes such as Menzerna, you need to work them longer to break the abrasives down. I normally work it for 6-8 passes.

However if you are using a SMAT polish such as Meguiar's, 2-3 passes will suffice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast