autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help a newbie with flex 3401

Howdy folks, amazing forum you have here. I am planning on buying a new black Audi and wanted to know which pads and polishers would be the best for a mirror like finish. The DA of choice is Flex 3401. I was thinking of 6.5 hybrid pads but dunno which ones specifically to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help a newbie with flex 3401

Quote Originally Posted by GoodToGo1 View Post
    Howdy folks, amazing forum you have here. I am planning on buying a new black Audi and wanted to know which pads and polishers would be the best for a mirror like finish. The DA of choice is Flex 3401. I was thinking of 6.5 hybrid pads but dunno which ones specifically to buy.

Great Choice on the Flex 3401 VRG IMO the best DA out there...period. As for product....I prefer Menzerna FG400 for compound polish and SF4500 (some like SF4000) for polishing. IMO Menzerna is one of the best products out there.

As for Pads, I like anything Lake Country...Orange for correction, white for polishing and red for sealant/waxing. I also like the gold for LSP but that is just me.

As for backing plates get the Lake Country Backing Plate system for 4" and 7"+. If you can get the Flex smaller backing plate too. As for Pads 6.5" is fine for that machine...I use that size most of the time.

You should be set!!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to AGO! The only way to buy a German automobile is in black! lol

As for the 3401, this machine will take a bit of getting used to because of its forced rotation nature. If you don't hold the machine flat it will feel as if it is walking around on you. This feature teaches you to always keep the machine and pad perfectly level with the surface. Also the larger the pad size the greater the walking effect.

With that out of the way it won't take long to master the machine once you get a good feel for it. Below is an article I wrote to help new comers get started of on the right foot. This technique is geared for DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.

Now, IMO as well as a few others the Hybrid pads are the cats meow on the 3401. These were made for the 3401. I utilize either pad size (5" or 6.5") depending on the size and feature of the panel. But as I mentioned earlier the smaller pad size makes it easier to get going on the 3401.

For Menzerna polishes I recommend starting off with FG400 and SF4000. You can vary the level of cut and finishing ability by switching out to different color pads with each product. And for finishing up, SF4000 on white has enough pull in it to finish out whatever FG400 on wool even couldn't. For me SF4500 is only reserved for the black Hybrid pad to maximize the gloss and clarity.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

Don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

great post ^^^

Pretty much summed it up. I would suggest the 5" pads though with the lake country backing plate system.

2 polish's, and 2 pads. Orange for cutting, yellow for polishing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

For the 5" pads, do I need the 4-3/8" back plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoodToGo1 View Post
    For the 5" pads, do I need the 4-3/8" back plate?
    The smaller plate of the two included in this kit is what is needed for the 5" Hybrids.
    FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Mike Phillips

Get the LC 4" backing plate. The main reasons why are,

1. Smaller pads are a LOT easier to buff with than larger diameter pads.

2. Modenr cars have more thin panels than older cars. By thin panels I mean the space between an edge and a raised body line. You'll find 5" pads fit newer cars better.

The larger pads are very good for large, flat panels.

New 5" pads for 4" Backing Plate on Flex 3401

5" Hybrid Pads for the 4" backing plate on the Flex 3401!

Autogeek stocks these pads here,

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish 5 Inch Foam Pads

You can do everything with the Orange, White and Black.

I use the blue a lot for the final machine polishing step for gel-coat boats. Gel-coat doesn't like soft pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    You can do everything with the Orange, White and Black.

Agreed!

OP, Pair up the Orange pad with FG400, White pad with SF4000, and black with SF4500 or you favorite LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

So I too have finally joined the Flex bandwagon

Received my machine yesterday (purchased locally) and despite specifically requesting for the LC interchangeable backing plate system (a few times), the suppier messed up and instead sent me:

A second 5.5" (140mm) backing plate that comes standard with the machine.

A 4-3/8" Original Flex backing plate

So I did some playing around with pad sizes.

Obviously the 4-3/8" backing plate is too big too accommodate 4" pads but I could just as easily use my traditional DA for these (it is what I currently use any way)

What I want to know is, can this 4-3/8" backing plate be used for the 5" LC Hybrid pads, or do I need to get the 4" backing plate for use with those pads.

The same 4-3/8" seemed to look 'ok' for use on the LC hydrotech 5.5" pads - has anyone tried this?

Then the standard 5.5" backing plate also seemed 'ok' for some of the LC 6.5" CCS pads I have - has anyone tried these out?

I guess what I am saying is, could I get away with using the 4-3/8" backing plate for 5" hybrids, 5.5" hydrotechs and the standard backing plate on 6.5" pads?

If so, it may be more cost effective to simply forgo the LC interchangeable backing plate system and use my traditional DA with 4" pads for the 'smaller work'?

I would appreciate your feedback

Thanks in advance

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post

So I too have finally joined the Flex bandwagon
    Congratulations. I'm already looking forward to your future posts with your new machine.

'
    Received my machine yesterday (purchased locally) and despite specifically requesting for the LC interchangeable backing plate system (a few times), the supplier messed up and instead sent me:
    They must not get on AGO? This topic and this product is talked about all the time on this forum.

What I want to know is, can this 4-3/8" backing plate be used for the 5" LC Hybrid pads, or do I need to get the 4" backing plate for use with those pads.
    The problem is correctly lining up the back of the pad to the oversize backing plate. It's pretty easy to line up and undersized backing plate to an over sized backing on a pad but doing the opposite is hard.

If you don't get the pad aligned and centered it's going to wobble when you try to buff. I have tried and I've been doing this for a long time and it's just hard to line up the back of a pad with a backing plate that is larger than the back of the pad.

The same 4-3/8" seemed to look 'ok' for use on the LC hydrotech 5.5" pads - has anyone tried this?
    Yes that works well.

Then the standard 5.5" backing plate also seemed 'ok' for some of the LC 6.5" CCS pads I have - has anyone tried these out?
    Yes this is the norm... using any of the dozens of 6.5" pads on the factory 5.5" backing plate. Like I mentioned above... all you have to do is center the backing plate inside the velcro on the back of any of the 6.5" pads and you're good to go.

It's a LOT easier to center up a smaller backing plate to a larger pad backing than visa-versa.

I guess what I am saying is, could I get away with using the 4-3/8" backing plate for 5" hybrids, 5.5" hydrotechs and the standard backing plate on 6.5" pads?
    If you get your 4" diameter backing on the 5" pads CENTERED on the 4 3/8" backing plates it will work, it will take you a few attempts each time you do this.

Then you'll need to be careful that you don't run the edge of the backing plate into anything when buffing.

If so, it may be more cost effective to simply forgo the LC interchangeable backing plate system and use my traditional DA with 4" pads for the 'smaller work'?

I would appreciate your feedback

Thanks in advance
    Well I have a pretty strong opinion on this... in fact so strong that in my brand new how-to book dedicated to the Flex 3401 I have two sections were I make "strong" recommendations and both of these are for using the Hybrid pads with the Flex 3401 and that includes getting the 4" backing plate from Lake Country so you can quickly and easily use the 5" pads.

It's really the way to go....

My experience is I never use the 6" backing plate that comes in the kit. I only use the 4" backing plate and love it.

If I had more time I could dig up hundreds of pictures on this forum showing the 5" pads in use on the 4" backing plate but I don't have time. Have some last minute pictures to take of some new products unknown to the world for the brand new book and some last minute copy to write to go with the new products.

Here's one though... when I buffed out the Deuce Coupe I had two Flex 3401's on hand, one fitted with 6.5" Hybrid pads for the cutting and polishing steps and one with the 4" backing plate and the 5" pads for working thin panels like you see in the picture below....

5" pads on a 4" backing plate fits THIN panels better than larger pads

Autogeek keeps the Lake Country Adapter Kit in stock, so down the road get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast