autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Microfiber system for OEM paints only???

Meguiars Microfiber system for OEM paints only???

I've been paying real close attention to the Meguairs Microfiber system with their DA and recently purchased it from autogeek but noticed that they said this MF is system is to be used ONLY on OEM paints. By OEM what is it exactly that they mean?

Does that mean cars that have been re-painted at body shops and not painted at a factory like with older classic cars or muscle cars that have been restored you cannot us this MF system on, or its not recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Microfiber system for OEM paints only???

I've been using Meg's MF pads for cutting almost exclusively and am yet to see any wording that says "use on OEM paint only".

Factory paint is applied very thin by most manufacturer's standards and aftermarket paint jobs are usually applied much thicker to allow wet sanding and buffing. Any pads that can be used on factory paint can also be used on aftermarket. However, some pads are meant to be used on aftermarket paint and are much to aggressive to be used on factory paint.

Mike Phillips

The first introduction of the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System was targeted at,

Factory OEM Paint - It's baked on at the factory and thus harder than repaints and this means less prone to micro-marring from this system.

Production Detailing - Meguiar's set a very worthy goal to try to change the production side of the detailing industry to turn it away from using rotary buffers which leads to unhappy customers of due to mass holograms as the norm in the industry. Their first Microfiber DA System uses two steps.

Step 1 - Correction

Step 2 Polishing/Waxing

In order to replace a rotary buffer in the old school minds of the industry with a tool that is a lot less powerful this system requires the first step to provide excellent defect removal and to accomplish this task Meguiar's under the leadership of Jason Rose developed and formulated a special compound that together with the fibers of a microfiber pad will provide excellent defect removal without the risk of instilling holograms like a rotary buffer.

The second step uses a polish/wax, which is like a cleaner/wax in that it has the ability to remove any of the haze left by the more aggressive first step and refine the results while also leaving behind a protected surface.

Keep in mind the production side of the detailing industry isn't about SHOW CAR results it's about good results with SPEED.

Speed is king in the production detailing world and quality takes a second seat.

Here's the video we made with Meguiar's on the first system.... if you watch it, everything is fully explained.

Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System

Mike with Jason and Mike from Meguiars, introducing the new DA Microfiber Correction System.

I'd say from what I've read and heard over the last 3-4 years about this first system is that most people don't read and listen and completely miss the part about how this was a system targeted at production detailing.

Then they use this system on a re-paint in which the paint is softer and see micro-marring and blame the system when the fault is they didn't read or listen.

That's not to say it cannot be used on repaints at the local body shop or custom paint jobs from the local body shop it's just the chemists formulated the chemicals for OEM paint.

So using it outside of the target market is a variable for which the results cannot be guaranteed.

Mike Phillips

To Joe....

My first post was about the first system introduced, since then Meguiar's updated the existing line and added some new product to create a new and improved "system" that is now capable of tackling softer paint systems as well as allowing the user to use their choice of wax or sealant.

A lot of guys that do detailing work more on the show car side, (not production detailing), want to use their choice of LSP or in this example, a non-cleaning wax or a non-cleaning sealant or even a paint coating.

The wax in the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System is a polish/wax which is a way of saying a cleaner/wax as it will clean/abrade as it's sealing the paint.

Guys that do show car detailing don't normally want to finish out with a cleaner/wax regardless of how great the end results might look. So Meguiar's added a fine cut polish called D302 to the line. Now you can cut with D300, polish with D302 and then seal with your choice of LSP.

Make sense?

Here's the video that explains all of the above....

New Video - Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System

Last summer, Jason Rose and Mike Pennington joined me here in sunny Stuart, Florida to shoot a new video to introduce the new products and improvements to their already successful Microfiber DA Correction System.

Check it out...

New Meguiar's MF Training Video

Mike Phillips

The Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction system is very good and from what I've seen it's been able to change the industry and that's a huge accomplishment, so hats off to Jason Rose and the rest of the team at Meguiar's.

If you're not sure what I mean by changing the industry, click the link below and look at the pictures and read the article and that is the production detailing industry.

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

Since Meguiar's introduced the Microfiber DA Correction System a number of other company's have all copied them and introduced microfiber pads but I don't know of any other companies that have invested in the R & D or Research & Development into creating dedicated compounds, polishes and waxes specifically formulated to be used with,

Microfiber pads - Pads pioneered by Claude Sevigny
    Dual action polishers - tools that oscillate and rotate

That all said, when I'm asked about all the microfiber pads and product on the market my standard reply goes like this....

At this time, foam pads will finish out more consistently on a wider spectrum of paint systems

The reason foam pads can and will finish out more consistently on so many different types of paint is because a foam pad offers a uniform surface, and in the case of a foam finishing pad, a SOFT uniform surface.

When using any type of fiber pad, be it a microfiber pad, a wool pad for a rotary buffer, the Lake Country PFW's or Purple Foamed Wool pads, etc. etc., etc., the fibers that make of the pad have the ability to cut the paint.

That is, each individual fiber can leave it's own cut in the paint and can actually be considered a type of abrasive. And that's why the original Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System was targeted at factory baked-on paints is because factory baked-on paints are harder than re-paints, (generally speaking), and their is less risk of the fibers leaving cuts in the paint that shows up as what is called,

• DA Haze
    • Micro-marring
    • Tick Marks

All three words mean the same thing and that's a type of cut in the paint that is caused by the dual actions of a dual action polisher, rotating and oscillating.

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls, Micro-Marring, DA Haze & Tick Marks

Holograms on the other hand are a specific type of scratch pattern inflicted only by rotary buffers. See the DISO article I already linked to.

The microfiber pad option is like Coke & Pepsi. I meet about an equal amount of people that love microfiber pads for they "type" of detailing work they do and I meat the other half too and they like foam pads for the "type" of detailing work they do.

So the question is....

What type of detailing do you do?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked Mike Stoops down at Meguiar's the other night about whether the D301 actually has cut by itself.

He explained that the D301 Finishing Wax actually contains more abrasives than the D302 Polish

Interesting.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I asked Mike Stoops down at Meguiar's the other night about whether the D301 actually has cut by itself.

He explained that the D301 Finishing Wax actually contains more abrasives than the D302 Polish

Interesting.

Makes good sense to me... thanks for sharing that little tidbit with everyone...

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the MF system on several non-OEM painted cars, which had had panels or the entire vehicle repainted. Worked well, with the only "issue" being some micro marring as a result of the repainted areas being a bit softer than the OEM paint. To me, this is truly a game changer and a system that even a fairly inexperienced person can have great success with.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for all the great responses!

Mike thank you for taking so much time to really answer my questions it really shows how much you love what you do and the great knowledge you have in this industry.

I watch all your videos since you do such a great job on them really going in depth with the products that many of us want to learn more about but the internet and youtube can be very misleading sometimes on "real world" tests.

It's nice to so someone who tries "ALL" brands of products and not trying to just push only a certain product brand. That makes all the difference.

Also it's good when you confirm with the guys that come on your show when they expalin how to do something and you make sure you are doing it to their specs by asking many questions. Chances are we would have all those questions for them too and its cool you ask them and when you say to them "like this?" it's even better since you are really focusing on proper techniques since each product works differently.

So keep up the great work Mike and please continue making videos for all the products! Thanks buddy!