autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of marketing strategies that may only bug me.

A couple of marketing strategies that may only bug me.

#1) I frequently see a company announce a new and improved version of a product. (Carpro recently announced a new version of Reload) A video comparison does show impressive results. I want the new version but it isn't yet available.

Soon thereafter, all the websites start putting the current version of Reload on sale. Can't say that I blame them. However, I always wonder, why would anyone want to buy a lesser version of a product no matter the price?

Seems to me, websites should blow out the older version before the new one is announced.

#2) Here's a FAQ from cquartz finest:

What is the difference between CQuartz and CQuartz Finest?

The short answer is just about everything. There are many differences between CQuartz and CQ Finest. While both are glass coatings Finest offers greater gloss, dust and dirt resistance, fine swirl resistance, a slick to the touch feel, more resistance to water spots and the environment, and FINEST is offered only through Authorized Installers who have developed their skills and take the utmost pride in their work.

I understand a companies desire to have exclusivity for professional detailers. I don't understand why they would expect me as a consumer to buy a lesser product (cquartz)

Although I like their products I have decided to buy 22ple. At least I know I'm buying the best they have to offer.

Am I the only one that is bugged by these marketing strategies?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A couple of marketing strategies that may only bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by tkendrick View Post
    Am I the only one that is bugged by these marketing strategies?
    No you are not...
    -Include me as being incredulous as well!!

As to #2 above:
    -And what's with those manufacturer's suggested "starting retail prices"...to be passed on to the Customers by the Pros?
    -Accordingly: I must, unapologetically, categorize those "Pro-Prices" as: Bordering on the edge of obscenity!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

We as pros have control over the starting price of both coatings and yes we make a lot of money off them. Welcome to America the land of choices and ruled by money.

Post Thanks / Like

One think I like about the Collinite brand is they have never come out with an improved version of their waxes unlike the boutique brands that roll out limited edition waxes every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post
    One think I like about the Collinite brand is they have never come out with an improved version of their waxes unlike the boutique brands that roll out limited edition waxes every week.
    ^^^Not entirely true.^^^

Per: FAQs » Collinite

12. Are the No. 845 and No. 925 supposed to be thick/hard like a paste, or thin like a liquid?

"The viscosity of the 845/925 is certainly thicker than many liquid versions of a paste wax. Simply put, there is a lot of wax in each bottle which makes it thicker".

Also,

"we added more carnauba to the formula a few years back to prevent product separation, and improve gloss/durability.

The 845/925 now discharges from the bottle more like toothpaste than liquid because its higher concentration of wax".

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember that these are, indeed, just marketing strategies. Sometimes, products are changed because they have been developed and improved. However it is not uncommon with niche brands that the product becomes unavailable to them, a material becomes unavailable or they fall out with their manufacturer. Some brands make a career out of this yet the marketing would have you believe that they spend millions on constant R&D. If you think about it, some products have been changed so often and have been remarketed so frequently that it is hard to believe the earlier products could have been good enough to bother using.

So be cautious with your belief in marketing claims - sometimes they will be genuine but very few of your detailing brands have the finances to be routinely making major developments to large swathes of their ranges.

Post Thanks / Like

Car companies have to come out with a new car pretty much every year. Whereas companies like Coca Cola don't. So there is always that too.

Post Thanks / Like

And a lot of the stuff is just hype you buy the new or impoved product with great hopes to be on this new level over all your dozens of products you have had for years, but then it is just a placebo effect because it's been told it's better and you just spent your money on it and you want it to be better

How many times do people go and pull out one of the old, surely outdated (sarcasm) products and fall in love again with the way it work

Post Thanks / Like

I like the pro only version, because it allows an individual to set themselves apart from others. If we all had access to everything, then I want to be a brain surgeon, but I only want to go to school long enough to be a pharmacy technician.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Hump,

You can be a brain surgeon if you opt to only do work on yourself and not others.

The same goes with these coatings. The person doing the work will drive me to use their services, not an exclusive coating.

The gimmick, I'm guessing here, is that people interested in such things will see the product applied to a professionally detailed/corrected vehicle and associate the looks of that vehicle with the product, rather than the work the professional put into it. We know the prep makes the pop, but the less educated person might give the nod to the product. They will then find only a "professional" can get this and pay for the service. The pro makes the dough, and Cquartz keeps a certain level of prestige by keeping up appearances. It's all reputation building.

Now me, I won't buy an inferior product if I know a better one is out there. As I can't get CQuartz Finest, I won't use it. I'll spend my cheese elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast