autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Headlight restore issue I encountered today

So I have about 8 sets of headlights under my belt. I've been using the spar urethane/mineral spirits trick. Start around 600 grit>1000>2000grit. Then I apply the mixture and I've had no problems. All my sets have been scratch free and nice and clear.

Today I did a set for a lady on her 2002 Acura RSX. They were ugly, but not the worst I have encountered. When all was done, I noticed the finish was hazy, and that one light was more hazy than the other. Could It be that the plastic has deteriorated over time? Or possibly been contaminated internally? Just trying to figure out what the issue is here. Regardless, she was more than happy and tipped generously. But it has been on my mind all day. The pic is in the shade and you can make out some of the haze. When I pulled it in the sun, it was very hazy. I was kinda pissed and not at all happy with the outcome.

Before:

After:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight restore issue I encountered today

absolutely. any number of things can happen on the inside of the lens causing issues such as that. sometimes it's just a film of matter...others it's actually crazed plastic. depends.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I had figured it wasn't my technique as I had been having great success up until today. And the fact that one headlight was much more cloudy than the other.

I have been wondering if finishing down with 3000 would yield even better results. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try. Although I like the idea of leaving it more rough for the mixture to better adhere to.

I've also been toying with the idea of ordering some opticoat 2.0. I noticed they make a specific headlight treatment. Is that really necessary? Also, how many sets of headlight so you think you could get with a 20cc syringe of Opticoat 2.0?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckp View Post
    Good to know. I had figured it wasn't my technique as I had been having great success up until today. And the fact that one headlight was much more cloudy than the other.

I have been wondering if finishing down with 3000 would yield even better results. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try. Although I like the idea of leaving it more rough for the mixture to better adhere to.

I've also been toying with the idea of ordering some opticoat 2.0. I noticed they make a specific headlight treatment. Is that really necessary? Also, how many sets of headlight so you think you could get with a 20cc syringe of Opticoat 2.0?
    meh, get Opti-Lens. Dr. G specifically engineered it to work with polycarbonates. yes, you only get 10 CC but you can do a bazillion headlights with one syringe. it's worth it, imo.

the only thing is, from my experiences at least - you need to finish it down as perfectly as possible before you apply Opti-Lens. i don't know the ins and outs of the DIY mix you're using - i mean, i remember the original thread from years ago but i don't recall the details. so maybe that allowed you to have a uniformly hazy surface and it'd clear up with the mix applied? with Opti-Lens, i don't think that will work. so for you, it appears you can do your current process but then finish with 3,000 and polish as needed to refine and clear up that 3,000 grit work. even though the polished surface will look pristine, there will be enough microscopic texture for the coating to cross link on. turn the lights on to inspect to make sure all the scratches are out and then wipe with IPA and coat. i think the process is pretty hassle-free.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried cleaning a set of headlamps on the inside of the lens after I polished the outside.
    It came out fine but it was a long finicky process. I took a wooden dowel and glued small pieces of very soft chamois onto the ends. Dipped them in ethanol and carefully wiped and "polished" the inside with them. I used up a whole sheet of chamois before I was satisfied with the interior film removal. And I took three hours to do both lenses.

I'm glad it was just an experiment on my own headlamps. Way to involved and risky to try on a customer's car. And do not EVER attempt to clean the reflector. You will scratch the hell out of it.