autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Road Rash

Hey everyone-
    as some of you read a few days ago, i was contemplating taking my truck out to go to a concert in virginia as opposed to the wife's jeep. I took the ram and the parking at the concert was all good. was able to keep ample space b/w myself and the other cars, people tailgating next to us, even started asking me about my shiny truck.

i get back today to give it a wash as it had to endure the roads of 95.
    it looks like i got some road rash? is that the right terminology. see the pics below. they dont all catch on the nail, feel scratchy for some, but some when i move my finger in one direction. any thoughts on what to do?

thanks guys
    mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coating Road Rash-20140531_135552-640x480-jpg   Coating Road Rash-20140531_135524-640x480-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Road Rash

I have the same deal on my hood as I drive ~30k a year. If they're bad, I'd try to fill them properly but otherwise, I just coated my car with DP coating and hope that keeps them from worsening.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, my truck is already coated, these happened today/yesterday, truck was coated on may 9th, so not sure what to do

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you had enough room to park. I drove by there on my way back from Gainesville at 1230 am or so and there was still people coming out haha. Concert season is love/hate. Love when I go. Hate when I dont

So are you concerned that the road rash is the coating itself and not the actual paint? Like Trolley, I had lots of stuff like that on my car prior to coating it (11k miles), but yours occurred after. Hmm...
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing will reduce the look of it but not completely remove it if it is catching your nail, it may need to be filled with touch up, then sanded, and polished. If it bothers you that much. If it were me I would probably polish the small area by hand and recoat it. Since it is a daily driver but different you know what for different folks.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

haha no sht, i was in your neck of the woods

except for swirls my hood did not have any chips or anything. the chips definetly happened over the past 36 hours. my fingernail doesnt catch all of them but some. are they in the coating? through the coating to the paint? do i need to polish out those areas and reapply the coating? use touch up paint? thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

If it is chipped like that definitely hit the paint so like I mentioned I would just hand polish those small areas and reapply the coating after a wipedown of course. I'm pretty sure polishing will take almost all of it away and definitely make them less noticeable.
    It's all in the details