autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Benefits of Rupes over Flex 3401?

I am very content with my Flex 3401. I like the power, the results that I get with it and the fact that it is forced rotation. It seems to me to be a smooth running machine. I think technique has a lot to do with it.

I've noticed the interest and popularity of the Rupes. I tried the Rupes 21 briefly and it seemed awkward to me perhaps because of the larger throw than the Flex. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it. I also tried the Rupes 15 and it seemed easier and smoother to operate than the 21.

I'm not a full time detailer, at the present time I consider this to be a fascinating hobby. The Rupes do appear to be very nicely designed polishers and wouldn't mind having one of my own but I'm trying to justify the need for one. I could see where the new Rupes Mini could be used for tight or smaller areas. What could the Rupes Duetto (12) be used for that would be better than using the Flex?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Benefits of Rupes over Flex 3401?

Rupes vs. Flex topic has been beaten to death... TONS of threads already discussing the general differences between machines and the "why choose one over the other" question.

Very Basic comparison:

Rupes is a free spindle machine that relies on larger orbit (throw) for quicker correction while Flex uses forced rotation.

Rupes machines require very little downward pressure for correction due to the larger throw and are said to be smoother and easier to operate. Many complain about the Flex having a tendency to "walk" on you when on complex panels.

I'd say if you are perfectly content with your Flex, don't worry about a Rupes unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.

As far as the LHR75e, that (to me) isn't comparable to the Flex... it is more comparable to the GG3" or a PC with a 3" bp.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I love my rupes 21

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsrjake View Post
    I love my rupes 21
    +1 I took mine to the body shop yesterday and after wet sanding I tested if my Rupes 21 could remove 3,000 grit and it easily did.

Then I just used some polish to bring out even more shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I own both machines.

From an ergonomic and NVH standpoint, the Rupes 21 is far superior. Mine also has the washer mod, so it is less likely to stop spinning on the vertical panels.

In short, the Rupes 21 is a much better machine for light-to-moderate correction -- once you establish a good technique. It will take some re-learning to understand the correct amount of pressure to apply. Many new users will probably apply too much pressure and cause the backing plate to stop spinning, so be sure to apply a mark on the backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an article about the value of long stroke machines by Kevin Brown-- http://www.buffdaddy.com/files/15195...erformance.pdf

I don't have either a Flex or Rupes but have been reading since the Rupes first came out trying to decide if I want one, but have noticed a consistent comment by top notch pros successfully using the Rupes that they find it is saving them considerable time as in many cases they find they can eliminate a polishing step as the Rupes finishes down so well.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

but have noticed a consistent comment by top notch pros successfully using the Rupes that they find it is saving them considerable time as in many cases they find they can eliminate a polishing step as the Rupes finishes down so well.

Interesting that you posted the above...

In this pictures posted by M1detail here...

What you see in this picture is the very COARSE blue foam cutting pad on the Rupes Duetto. I'm buffing on one of our clearcoated black demo panels. What I did for 4 days straight was to sand this panel down with 3M #3000 Trizact Discs and then use the Duetto with the coarse blue foam cutting pad and Wolfgang Uber Compound and the Rupes Zephir Gloss Coarse Compound.

In the below picture, I placed some line drawing boxes around,

From left to right...

Overhead light reflecting off paint that is clear and swirl free after sanding and aggressive compounding.

Coarse, very aggressive Rupes blue foam cutting pad on the Duetto.

A Blue foam cutting pad that I had people feel and a bottle of Uber Compound.

Now imagine hundreds of people walking by and stopping to see this demonstration each day.

First I let them feel a new, clean blue foam cutting pad so they can feel just how rough or coarse the foam feels.

The most comment comment after a person feels the blue foam cutting pad is,

Wow!

Next, place a few small drops of compound onto a 6" pad on the Rupes Duetto and then buff a section of the sanding marks on the panel.

Wipe off and reveal the results and for those that don't know what they just saw, tell them...

You just saw a coarse foam cutting pad with an aggressive compound remove #3000 grit sanding marks and the paint looks clear and glossy like you just removed a coat of wax off perfect paint.

Most, if not everyone was astonished at how well the BLACK paint, under very bright lights looked each time this demonstration was performed.

It was pretty amazing...

8. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

I don't have either a Flex or Rupes but have been reading since the Rupes first came out trying to decide if I want one, but have noticed a consistent comment by top notch pros successfully using the Rupes that they find it is saving them considerable time as in many cases they find they can eliminate a polishing step as the Rupes finishes down so well.

Here's another example of the Duetto as you say...

finishing down so well....

Lady in Red - 1986 Porsche - 4-Step Process

This was done using the Duetto Prototype with a foam polishing pad and Uber compound...

Results from Wolfgang Uber Compound

I took these shots after compounding with Uber Compound and BEFORE machine polishing with the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. To me the paint looked ready to wax...

Before...

Thanks for bring that point out ski2

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post

I am very content with my Flex 3401. I like the power, the results that I get with it and the fact that it is forced rotation. It seems to me to be a smooth running machine. I think technique has a lot to do with it.

I've noticed the interest and popularity of the Rupes. I tried the Rupes 21 briefly and it seemed awkward to me perhaps because of the larger throw than the Flex. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it. I also tried the Rupes 15 and it seemed easier and smoother to operate than the 21.

Frank,

You had the chance to use the Duetto way before most the people reading this thread and in the world since you were here last Thursday night working on the Charger in this thread...

Pictures: 2013 Dodge Charger - Black Label Diamond Paint Coating- New Rupes Polishers - Pictures & Video

And the "production" unit, like you see below is even smoother than the prototype you're holding in the picture above.

This Thursday, if you can, join us for the 1956 Chevy Bel Air buff out and I'll make sure you get plenty of time with the production Duetto...

How to detail a Muscle Car Class

Post Thanks / Like

It's chance you must take. You're going to get opinions all over the place. I can't stand the 3401, while some love it.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast