autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WD40 Uses...

Post Thanks / Like

WD40 Uses...

Hey Geeks. What kinda uses has everyone heard of for WD40? Specifically for auto detailing. I know of a quite a few random uses. My neighbor says that he uses it for dressing the plastic pieces in the engine compartment and the wheel wells. IMO, that's pretty clever. However, I dunno how "safe" that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WD40 Uses...

Specifically for auto detailing? Other than as a solvent to remove caked on tar, nothing. From my experience with it, it's sticky and attracts dirt and dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Specifically for auto detailing? Other than as a solvent to remove caked on tar, nothing. From my experience with it, it's sticky and attracts dirt and dust.
    It contains non-volatile oils which are specifically intended to persist on surfaces so as to provide lubrication. As you say, it thus is sticky and attracts dirt. People do use it as a solvent but this is a very poor use of the product because it is designed to be hard to remove and water repellent. If you want to get rid of tar or heavy grime, WD40 is the wrong product - use a proper tar remover or solvent degreaser. This will rinse off much more easily to leave no residues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    It contains non-volatile oils which are specifically intended to persist on surfaces so as to provide lubrication. As you say, it thus is sticky and attracts dirt. People do use it as a solvent but this is a very poor use of the product because it is designed to be hard to remove and water repellent. If you want to get rid of tar or heavy grime, WD40 is the wrong product - use a proper tar remover or solvent degreaser. This will rinse off much more easily to leave no residues.
    I'm not the one who uses WD40 for auto detailing and i agree with your statement that it's the wrong product. That's the most relevant thing i could think of for WD40 in auto detailing. As a matter of fact i use it regularly for my road bicycle to clean the chain, derailer, cassette, and any random grease. But in my opinion it does not belong in an auto detailers arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

WD40 is completelly safe. It's fish oil. It has probably a 1000 uses, Google it.

As for auto detailing, it could be used for a few things;
    - removing stickers
    - preventing fog on Windows
    - cleaning different things
    - lubricant

probably a lot more. But there are certainly products that will do a better job at each task you could use WD40 for. I have a can of it in my detailing kit but I have not used it yet. I keep it just in case I come upon something I don't know how to fix, there is a chance if I Google the problem that WD40 will be the solution

WD40 is kinda like Duct Tape, your better off having some around than not.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I read online, so it must be true ... hehehe.... is that it can be used to remove corrosion off aluminum rims. I will let you know how true that is in about 2 weeks. lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a buddy that sprays his knees and elbows with it before he starts working in the morning. Swears it loosens the joints. I think it's hilarious and quite funny to witness. But I guess if you're a detailer with squeaky knees and elbows then WD-40 has a place in your arsenal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    One thing I read online, so it must be true ... hehehe.... is that it can be used to remove corrosion off aluminum rims. I will let you know how true that is in about 2 weeks. lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    I just tried that, no joy! Just spritzed some on a shop rag, nothing happened.

I WILL give it better go later, to allow it to dwell more.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    I just tried that, no joy! Just spritzed some on a shop rag, nothing happened.

I WILL give it better go later, to allow it to dwell more.
    Maybe it would help remove the corrosion salts (although I have never heard that or tried it), but it's not going to do anything about the pitting.

Quote Originally Posted by El Flaco Taco View Post
    Have a buddy that sprays his knees and elbows with it before he starts working in the morning. Swears it loosens the joints. I think it's hilarious and quite funny to witness. But I guess if you're a detailer with squeaky knees and elbows then WD-40 has a place in your arsenal!
    I like mine on toast in the morning, way less cholesterol than butter (well, it doesn't say anything about cholesterol on the can...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    WD40 is completelly safe. It's fish oil. It has probably a 1000 uses, Google it.
    Someone (perhaps you) tried to tell me this before. I am sorry but it is nonsense. Check out this from the makers - myth I am afraid. Still don't believe it, check out the MSDS. Section 3 shows the ingredients - aliphatic hydrocarbon, petroleum base oil and LVP aliphatic hydrocarbon make up about 90% of the product. These are all derived from petroleum distillation - nothing to do with fish!

Nothing dangerous, specifically, but what I stated above is correct. It contains lubricating oils which are non-volatile. They do not evaporate away. They stick, they persist and that is part of the reason they work as lubricants (and a large part of the reason why gasoline is useless for long term lubricating - it DOES evaporate so can't lubricate after it is gone). WD40 is designed to leave this residue and it is designed to be water resistant. Yeah, it will remove tar/glue etc. because it has all those hydrocarbon solvents but it will also leave behind that residue. That needs really thoroughly washed off. As a quick job, that might be fine but anyone who is justified calling themselves a detailer should be using a solvent based degreaser which contains emulsifiers such that it will need only a rinse, not a thorough wash. In actual practice, you would be better using mineral spirits than this, at least mineral spirits will evaporate away if you leave it long enough.

For reference, my company formulates, manufactures and sells chemical products.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast