autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Newbie with a Question about clear coat

Ok I have a question for you. And I came to this group so I could possibly learn a few things. Apparently I did not get all the road salt off my car from the winter snows, and have noticed that it has taken the clear coat off the hood, trunk and parts of the top of the car leaving kind of grayish blotches on these areas. I am wondering if there is a way to repair the damage that has been done to my paint job and clear coat. Any information is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    How old is your car? Any pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Road salt wont remove clear coat

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then what will remove some of the paint/lear coat off surface of car and leave discolored areas??? Possibly acid rain or tree sap ??? Have noticed that there are other cars in the area with the same problem and others where the paint has been eaten away and rust spots have set in. Am sending pic of blotches on car. Any information is appreciated. it is a 2000 Mitsubushi Gallant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RE: Newbie with a Question about clear coat-dscf0492-jpg  
    Last edited by Fenmoore; 05-27-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    also sun damage

Post Thanks / Like
    Holly Cra## that looks bad, Got to be repainted imo

No wax/polish etc will bring the clearcote back...

Poor, poor Mitsubishi

Get it repainted, and put some durable polish on the car after a month. Do you live by the ocean?
    Last edited by Truls; 05-27-2007 at 11:44 AM.
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    There are ALOT of variables as to why clear coat fails. The most common reasons are environment (ussually its the owners fault for this), manufacturer of the vehicle or the paint. Just becuase other cars in the area do it does not mean there is only 1 reason for it and it does not mean its the same reason. If road salt destroyed CC then all 3 of my vehicles would look like yours along with all my freinds and family's vehicles.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. It is gratefully appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen a fiew vehicles here like tha and I have a friend that has a vehicle that the trunk lid and the roof are like your vehicle. I haven't tried polishing it but (you already know this) but it's the clear coat that is gone. So if you polish it you will be wearing down the clearcoat and in areas you will be polishing the paint it's self. How to fix it? There is no fixing it besides re-spraying the clear coat or re-painting the panels. It's a shame because it's a nice vehicle.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie with a Question about clear coat

My 94 300ZX is white, slightly toward cream, with an obvious clear coat. I say that because it always looks great with just a soap wash. Waxing or glazing seemed pointless. You folks set a much higher standard and my ignorance was bliss..................

My Subaru Forester 1999 may also have a clearcoat but thinner? There are some small 1/16" dia. chips that are on the side and do not appear to have been caused by rocks or sand. Perhaps IP? Few times after parking at the airport for a week or two this car was covered with gritty dust from jet exhaust? Worst looking stuff I ever saw. Just washed it off but if it rained before returning, even night dew, one can imagine serious damage.

With AG standards in mind perhaps there are times when you do not take your car out of the garage? Are there products that protect enough excepting sand storms. If you achieve that 95% plus finish would you take your car out of the garage when the wind blows?.........when it rains?..........when it snows?...........especially if they sand the roads?

Are clearcoat finishes universal? When do you leave your car in the garage? What products protect from worst conditions when you have use the car? Ignorance was bliss...............

Fourcents