autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone used Orange Peel Removal Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    I Ain't skeerd! Send some my way and I'll be a orange peel removing son-of-a-gun!
    I don't have the pad, but it's only 7 bucks at the link I showed in the OP

Take the plunge for all of us

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see how it is any more dangerous than wet sanding. I guess it would be harder to tell when its leveled. But once its done, you dont have to sand out any sanding scratches right?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    Used them today.

My thoughts.. They work great and don't leave the typical haze from traditional sanding techniques. But that being said the pads load up quick with spent paint/product and are tough to get clean. The cushion from the pad is nice vs regular sand paper.

Aggressive abrasion with any method should be really cautioned with factory paint jobs, as these pics are from a respray. If you do decide to try and tackle something like this with no experience, expect a potential for problems.
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfections View Post
    Used them today.

^^^Per your photos: Nice!!^^^

Aggressive abrasion with any method should be really cautioned with factory paint jobs, as these pics are from a respray. If you do decide to try and tackle something like this with no experience, expect a potential for problems.
    Great advice...Thank You!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

these pads are not for amatures , people who want to use them need to have knowledge in car polishing..

the idea behind this concept is to reduce as much as possible orange peeling from the clear coat,in much safer way than sanding, and much less time.
    notice!: not possible if the OP is under the clear coat.

the Denim pad is more aggressive, used for re painted cars .
    the velvet pad is less aggressive , good for sticky paint, soft paint.

i will post here very latest test review one of famous detailers in Netherlands did (thank you Dennis if you watch here)

Since he wrote it in Dutch , ill translate :

These pads are designed to "orange peel" (orange peel) to reduce or eliminate without sanding. They are available in 2 flavors. Denim: (back of the path is not correct, it should be "cut hard" 2000 grit and Velvet: (back of the path is not correct, it should be " mild cut "3000grit The Denim is the heaviest and is similar to a 2000grit sanding disc and the Velvet with 3000grit sanding disc. In this review, we only used the Denim version. We have been underway with two test panels and hood of the Carclean.nl van. This was the first board with what we call "micro-peel" dimples smaller than normal orange peel but can be a lot of glare stop: The processing is a rotating machine, we tested it on a DAP900 but running at a given moment no more and the speed you do need. because the pads sheet friction with the surface it is quite warm, that can reach about 50 degrees thick. Beware so on plastic panels! Instead of water is C.Pro Fixer Polish advised. This is a cream-like polish that makes for a beautiful finish and as a lubricant between the pad and the paint. The Fixer is more creamy and therefore more suitable than Menz. We go the next time testing with Prof. Polish of Poorboy's to see how that goes. Acting on low speed (600-700) and further process around 1200 rpm. In itself not very high but at 1200 rpm, the temperature has risen to about 50 degrees! Halfway allowed a spray water (we used Spray & Wipe) to glide further extend. That's fine but as you can expect spatters that good. Test Panel 1: "micro peel." Before:

After:

This is only treated with the sanding pad and degreased, otherwise no rework had: Side by side comparison:

Test Panel 2 "orange peel" before:

After :

CAUTION NOTE: Do this only on test panels and NEVER on a car yourself or someone else! the denim pad for treatment:

Pad "primed" with Fixer and 3 additional dots.
    Acting: After the first "hit":

After the third hit:

After treatment: 50/50

Test Object 3: bonnet has had 3-4 hits.
    Before:

After treatment:

There was a very small haze behind so treated with final finish polish. before:

after :

We have not tested and want a movie making the side of the van because there is also a lot in but we were so excited that we already forests report. Is it an already euphoria? course there are disadvantages and risks. You are obviously quite heavily engaged, you get a hit about 2-3 microns away. Want the orange complete way than benje as 10-15 microns lost and the question is whether you want (and if you have the paint before) but a big improvement is almost always possible. In addition, a rotary actually a must and that not everyone has or can thereby work. too splashes everything so good masking is a must, the processing is not always smooth. On the van was not as good as the panels and was polishing Fri stiff with much splashing because there is often a spraying had to. Do not expect a smooth process as a finishing polish but the result is sure! If the pads wear out really quickly and lose their effect then you have 4-5 pads needed and these are no longer used. It is still guessing (without trying) or a path still appropriate. We are certainly very excited, the results are amazing. soon as more information, pictures or movies have these are obviously here to assist.

Thank you ,
    Avi

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a very promising system, and possibly safer and quicker than traditional wet sanding/buffing. Don't see it taking anymore practice than learning to wet sand. We will see soon, I'm sure.
    Thanks Avi and CarPro.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Avi, and fellow readers. Something I left out of my last post with my short experiences with the pads. I've never thought it was a good idea to abrade factory clear coat that I wanted to repair with a rotary. I started my testing out with a pc, it didn't have the power so I moved onto my flex 3401 vrg. So the results you are seeing are from my flex. Once I have a test panel or some other car besides a Hummer I'll do more testing with the rotary and see how it compares.

Post Thanks / Like

Abrade meaning sand in my last post

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool info. Thanks for the updates! I doubt a PC would have enough power, right Perfections?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    Very cool info. Thanks for the updates! I doubt a PC would have enough power, right Perfections?
    It did, but you have more control at speed 1 with the flex because of the forced rotation plus osculation seemed to be a winning combo. The pc can sand fine, but these pads are grabby compared to sanding disc so I'm guessing that's why it's recommended by the manufacture to use a rotary. It's just the way I was thought and my personal beliefs that sanding clear with sand paper on a rotary is a bad idea, but with these pads it might be different. There's always new technology coming along and I can't wait to test the pad on a rotary, I just didn't feel comfortable doing it on a customers car that was paying for the defect removal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast