autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on a California Duster

I have a greystone metallic silverado. I bought one of these but havent used it yet. Keep or return ? And why ? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on a California Duster

I've never had any success with dusters. They have a tendancy to mar the paint. You're better off with a little QD and a microfiber towel for minor dust.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it. I've had many of them. I've also had the cheaper brand ones. The California ones are the best. Thy do a good job for a quick wipe down of just sitting dust, NOT days of accumulation.

Post Thanks / Like

They are great for removing DUST not dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get away with it on white and silver. Anytime you dry wipe you stand the risk of marring. I know that the CD has wax to pick up the dirt, but it's still relatively dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    I've never had any success with dusters. They have a tendancy to mar the paint. You're better off with a little QD and a microfiber towel for minor dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how people are using these things that they are getting maring, but I use them on my black car with no problem. A couple of points:

1. They are only useful on a car kept in a garage. Any car that sits outside for an extended period would likely be too dirty to use these on. Or, if using on a non garaged vehicle, it would have to be the first day or so after washing and not driven in the rain.

2. The correct way to use these it to hold them above the paint so the fibers are only touching the paint a little. The wrong way is to use it like your mopping the floor with the weight of the handle on the paint.

3. They are for dust only. They are not called Dirt Removers, but Dusters. Any accumulation of film, road grime, or bird sh*t on the paint won't do.

4. Shake it out frequently and always store in the bag it came in in the case it came with. Never use it on a wet car.

They are great for removing dust for the first day or two after you wash, or after the first couple rides after on a garage kept car. If you use it this way, the fibers are applying almost zero pressure to remove the dust on the surface. I actually think its probably safer than using a towel with any detail spray or similar, as the detail spray decreases the friction , but the weight of your hand on the towel still exists when you wipe. The duster is removing the dust in almost a weight free manor. Unless your clear coat is abnormally soft I don't see how removing dust with one of the could scratch it.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it. I have 3 of them and love it. They are great to remove dust and pollen. If your car sit outside over night and have a coat of mist on top, then it's too late because the dust/pollen already "stuck" into the paint. However, it works great for garage kept cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know that the OP car is garaged kept?
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleauto View Post
    Keep it. I have 3 of them and love it. They are great to remove dust and pollen. If your car sit outside over night and have a coat of mist on top, then it's too late because the dust/pollen already "stuck" into the paint. However, it works great for garage kept cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it. Listen to the others. Use it correctly and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had one for years and use it almost every day. I have a Granite Gray Metallic 2007 Chevy Equinox. If used properly and follow the advise given in previous posts, you should have no problems at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast