autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

So today was my second time using Meg's Ultimate Compound with the goal of removing the swirls on my black 2000 Corolla's finish.Now apart from swirls the are also many RIDS,dents bumps and bruises scattered throughout the paint.My main goal is to use my car to practice swirl removal.
    I'm using a Porter Cable UDM dual action polisher with 51/2" Wolfgang orange light cutting pads with speed setting turned all the way up to six.I'm sure I'm doing at lest 6 section passes with medium firm pressure,with about a quarters worth of polish on the pad and "kissing" the paint to spread in a about 2' x2' section.

I try to be mindfull of not working to fast and work the pad slowly over paint.Now I realize I only used one pad,but was only polishing the vertical panels on one side of my small car.Maybe I should have used another pad halfway through?

While there is a noticeable improvement to the finish,it is nothing dramatic or worth the effort put into it.The swirls are reduced but not than 50% or so.Am I not using an aggressive enough pad?Should I be using a wool pad?

Here are some before n afters.

I guess you can't tell too god on the afters,I will take some more shots tomorrow in the sun.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

after compound used, did u use any polishing products?

speed 6 on DA sound like it can cook yr paint in very short moment which is kinda dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rex79gt View Post

speed 6 on DA sound like it can cook yr paint in very short moment which is kinda dangerous
    I followed up the Ultimate Compound with Poli-Seal on two panels and XMT 360 on the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

This comment (I assume) is not spoken through experience. That little UDM isn't going to cook anything an any amount of time.

To the OP, shrink your working area down to a 12"x12" area and work very slow section passes. After every few section passes wipe the area clean and check your progress. Keep working that section until the swirls are removed. Yes, please post a few more pictures with the sun illuminating the paint defects so that someone can help you identify whether you are dealing with swirls and not clear coat failure or paint fracturing or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

??? horrible post !

Post Thanks / Like

Wool won't work with a PC. MF Cutting and Surbuf are the more aggressive pads for a DA. With Surbufs, you will almost certainly require further finishing with something more than Poli-Seal or XMT 360.

Make sure the pad is rotating, not just oscillating. As Dave said, go slow and small for better correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    This comment (I assume) is not spoken through experience. That little UDM isn't going to cook anything an any amount of time.

To the OP, shrink your working area down to a 12"x12" area and work very slow section passes. After every few section passes wipe the area clean and check your progress. Keep working that section until the swirls are removed. Yes, please post a few more pictures with the sun illuminating the paint defects so that someone can help you identify whether you are dealing with swirls and not clear coat failure or paint fracturing or something like that.
    OP, Dave has provided most excellent advice. No need to continue polishing on the rest of the car until you have perfected your method on the first section.

How much pressure are you using?

Did you prime your pad by spreading a thin layer on it before starting your first section?

Did you clean your pad on the fly before adding any more polish and starting the next section?

Take Daves advice and keep in mind a more aggressive pad like a cyan Hydrotech pad, yellow Buff and Shine pad or optimum MF cutting pad are probably your best bets in all likelihood for pad choice on this case.

I would purchase some Optimum mf cutting pads if I were you. Paired with CarPro Fixer and blowing the pad out often those swirls would likely be toast. But before buying anything else just follow Daves advice. The UC should be plenty capable if removing them as well but won't finish out as nice as the Fixer.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    OP, Dave has provided most excellent advice. No need to continue polishing on the rest of the car until you have perfected your method on the first section.

Did you prime your pad by spreading a thin layer on it before starting your first section?

Did you clean your pad on the fly before adding any more polish and starting the next section?

Take Daves advice and keep in mind a more aggressive pad like a cyan Hydrotech pad, yellow Buff and Shine pad or optimum MF cutting pad are probably your best bets in all likelihood for pad choice on this case.

I would purchase some Optimum mf cutting pads if I were you. Paired with CarPro Fixer and blowing the pad out often those swirls would likely be toast. But before buying anything else just follow Daves advice. The UC should be plenty capable if removing them as well but won't finish out as nice as the Fixer.
    I think Dave's recco on going slow,should be quite helpfull.No I did not make sure I got the desired results before moving on to next panels.I also did neglect to clean my pad,which seems to be a key factor since the last panel I did was the least corrected.

I will also consider suggested pads on future purchases

Thank You Cee Dog.I much enjoy you product reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    ??? horrible post !
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerwulf76 View Post
    I think Dave's recco on going slow,should be quite helpfull.No I did not make sure I got the desired results before moving on to next panels.I also did neglect to clean my pad,which seems to be a key factor since the last panel I did was the least corrected.

I will also consider suggested pads on future purchases

Thank You Cee Dog.I much enjoy you product reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Wool won't work with a PC. MF Cutting and Surbuf are the more aggressive pads for a DA. With Surbufs, you will almost certainly require further finishing with something more than Poli-Seal or XMT 360.

Make sure the pad is rotating, not just oscillating. As Dave said, go slow and small for better correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

Thanks Dave.I'm realizing the error of my ways.I will shrink my work are down,and practice practice with slower passes.I also thought the cooking you paint comment was odd as it seems you almost have to try to do any damage with a DA.

Sorry no sun today,only rain so no more pics for now.It is not clearcoat failure or fracturing that much I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    ??? horrible post !
    I found that quite odd myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast