autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First detail comments

So i did my first detail today and ive goty some comments and would like some feedback.

I worked on a 99 F350 crew cab with burnt orange metallic paint, It was heavily swirled in my opinon as it has only seen the drive thru car washes.

I washed with CG citrus wash n Gloss, to strip anything and proceeded to clay,

I used The elastrofoam system and i do not like it, I used 32oz of RO water with 2oz of ONR and i was still able to marr the paint pretty good, but i wash polishing so no biggy, But i still feel it did not pull contaminents like clay and it was very grabby, i broke it in on windows first, I just prefer clay i guess after using it. Not my cup of tea

On to the polishing i used the Hydro tech tangerine pad with optimum hyper polish, While it did good in most spots some of the heavier swirl spots remained after multiple passes, Makes me feel like i should of used the cyan pad, or used the optimum spray compound with the tangerine to cut time down as i spent alot of time trying to get each panel swirl free. I dunno what to look for as to choose a compound or heavier cut pad plz give feed back.

I got half of the truck done to what i think is a very decent job at a first atempt and i used CG v7 to seal what i have done and i must say i love this stuff, The gloss is great and the Slickness is amazing, You feel it withing seconds the towel just wants to shoot out of my hand, This will be my go to detail spray from now on

Plz help me, Should i be using a compound with the tangerine pad then go back with the polish. Or use the cyan pad with the polish, I was doing 3-4 passes on some sections and by that i mean 4 seperate times of making passes with my flex3401 roughly 4-5 passes each time and i still didnt get it swirl free, Speed was at 4 1/2. most of it was swirl free but some areas just wouldnt get swirl free

While i think the hyper spray worked well, It is very messy to deal with

Post Thanks / Like
    The next thing I would have tried would have been cyan and hyper polish. If that did not work I would assume I needed a heavier compound like m105.

Could also be technique. More pressure and perhaps slower passes may have worked.

Hard to say without being there though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First detail comments

Thx for the feedback, I don't think pressure was the issue, could be technique as it was first time ever using a DA, ill try the cyan pad and
    see how it does, all the parts on the truck came out swirl free, but the tail gate was pure swirls, anywayz I thank you for ur response

Kenny b

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 05rsx911 View Post

making passes with my flex3401 roughly 4-5 passes each time and i still didnt get it swirl free,

Speed was at 4 1/2. most of it was swirl free but some areas just wouldnt get swirl free

The Flex offers a lot of power, so if the swirls can be removed, the Flex can remove them... keep in mind sometimes some defects are too deep to remove safely so it's better to learn to live with the deeper defects than to try to completely remove them.

See this article,

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

Besides that, like Ben said, maybe next time use a more aggressive product and pad and focus on using expert technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also go wight more aggressive pad/chemical combo.

Speed is also very important .. experiment with speed 6.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the Info guys, I Tackled the truck again today using the cyan pad with Hyper spray compound and its a mirror finish now, Im starting to get the hang of the flex and the amount of product to use. I think i was using to much product before. I think if i started out with something that wasnt a spray it woulda been easier to control the product, The sprayers on the Hyper polish/compound are a lil tricky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First detail comments-2012-02-28_14-44-57_371-jpg