autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Heat on the paint

Just noticed today the paint I was working on went hot.

I believe I had sufficient amount of the compound on the (primed) pad (white 5.5" LC flat &M105).

Machine used - 3401 on speed 5.7 (roughly), not much pressure, area was 2.5x2.5, etc.

I moved the machine at the speed of 1" p/sec approx.

The pad went hot too!?

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heat on the paint

At that setting on a Flex you're doing a lot of work, it's going to generate heat. When you say hot, do you mean warm, or too hot to touch? Warm is ok, HOT is dangerous. You always need to be conscious of your surface temperature, you don't want to burn the paint. Ambient conditions play a factor (if you are working in the sun the surface is going to be hotter to start with).

You're usually going to be ok on metal panels...which dissipate heat well. Where you want to be careful is with plastic panels which have lower thermal conductivity...under the right conditions it's easy to overheat the paint. I know it's another thing to think about, but if you're polishing aggressively on plastic panels, keep the polisher moving, and feel the surface, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're working on a metal panel and the paint is ok, you can still overheat the pad and damage the foam/velcro/backing plate...it's possible if working say, on a hood, that if you're polishing hard but you keep the polisher moving, the hood will stay cool enough but by the end you might overheat the pad. Some of this depends on pad saturation, etc., you might have to give the pad a rest, change pads, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    When you say hot, do you mean warm, or too hot to touch? Warm is ok, HOT is dangerous

Not warm, rather hot but not that hot I couldn't hold my palm on the paint.

Hard top express the amount of the heat generated .. say leaning towards the danger zone imo.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Well, think about how hot the paint gets in the sun without any damage you should be able to get it that hot, right? But you're also putting mechanical stress in at the same time. If you can hold your palm on it you're fine on a metal panel (gets hotter than that in the sun depending on car color), but on a plastic panel you can quickly build up a lot of heat at the pad/paint interface without realizing it; just be careful on plastic, especially the soft, flexible panels like bumpers and skirts (as opposed to the harder plastics of mirrors and deck spoilers).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, think about how hot the paint gets in the sun without any damage you should be able to get it that hot, right?

It's about that hot I'd say.
    Does everyone else experience the same while doing paint correction?

Flex 3401 & PE14

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not like to get paint hot. I make sure my arm speed, tool speed, pressure on the tool and pad / product combo are right on to make certain I don't polish hot. I get panels slightly warm at the most. Paint gets softer as it gets hot and makes it a little harder to correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the speed at ( 1234, 2234,3234, 4234) total of 8 sec. for 2 foot didtance. 15lb. pressure @ setting 5-3. Paint surface usually got warm. I always work under shaded area.