autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on M101?

Post Thanks / Like

Tips on M101?

Hey gang,

I think I have a car to try M101 on this weekend.

To prepare, I have been reading the old Kevin Brown posts from 2012 on proper usage of the product. From what I gather, the proper process is:

1) Prime Pad thoroughly, especially edges.
    2) Work with moderate, consistent pressure
    3) Once dried, spray surface with a fine mist of water
    4) Work again until cycle is done.

For the last year or so, I have been using a lot of DAT polishes, so I have not been following the above steps. At the same time, with DAT polishes like FG400, it has taken me 6-8 passes to both cut and finish.

Can anyone comment on the work time for cutting and finishing with M101? Should I expect to reduce the number of passes that it will take me, for cutting and finishing, compared to FG400?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone? No M101 users here?

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips on M101?

Never used it but if you have trouble removing it Megs Glass Cleaner works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    Hey gang,

I think I have a car to try M101 on this weekend.

To prepare, I have been reading the old Kevin Brown posts from 2012 on proper usage of the product. From what I gather, the proper process is:

1) Prime Pad thoroughly, especially edges.
    2) Work with moderate, consistent pressure
    3) Once dried, spray surface with a fine mist of water
    4) Work again until cycle is done.

For the last year or so, I have been using a lot of DAT polishes, so I have not been following the above steps. At the same time, with DAT polishes like FG400, it has taken me 6-8 passes to both cut and finish.

Can anyone comment on the work time for cutting and finishing with M101? Should I expect to reduce the number of passes that it will take me, for cutting and finishing, compared to FG400?

Thanks.
    Steps 3 & 4 are only needed if you need more cut. It can be a PITA to wipe off.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it daily on trashed paint, and is actually the only compound I currently have and use. I only use it however with Megs MF pads fully primed and up to 5 passes on speed 5 on Rupes and Griots with 5.5 pads. It has yet to dry up on me, only once I was required to spray water on it and that was on a super hard clear and I only did it to keep working it more.

Post Thanks / Like

M101 cuts very fast. Less passes than FG400. It does not dry out as fast as m105.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

It was originally made to use on a rotary Megs SOLO BP with the Megs Foam pads. I think it is more versatile than that designed purpose. I think it will cut faster.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I would expect it to be shorter cycle relative to other compounds. But if you are experiencing a hard wipe off, that could mean too much product used in the application or too many passes. Pad choice and environment have impact on the result as well.

M101 has a very high density abrasive set. It will do a lot of work in a short amount of time for you. Trying for long cycle or long polishing time with this product is counter-productive to what the product was designed to do...and what it is capable of doing. It was made to remove a lot of paint defects within a short but powerfully efficient buffing cycle.

Too much and too long...will not be your friend with this product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
    I would expect it to be shorter cycle relative to other compounds. But if you are experiencing a hard wipe off, that could mean too much product used in the application or too many passes. Pad choice and environment have impact on the result as well.

M101 has a very high density abrasive set. It will do a lot of work in a short amount of time for you. Trying for long cycle or long polishing time with this product is counter-productive to what the product was designed to do...and what it is capable of doing. It was made to remove a lot of paint defects within a short but powerfully efficient buffing cycle.

Thanks Jason.

Does Meguiar's have a recommended number of passes, like they do for M205?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post

Great info. Thanks!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast