autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Aggressiveness, which one first (Pad or Polish)

Hello,

Newbie in the process of purchasing PC and products, done at lot of research, have a few questions so when I actually try to polish my black vehicle I'll have the answers. I plan on purchasing PoorBoys SSR1.0, 2.0, 2.5 polishes and Edge Pads (Blue thru Green).

Question 1.) Let's say I start out with the least abrasive polish and pad SSR1.0 and the Blue Edge pad (Finesse). Let's say after 3 applications I'm still left with scratches. Do I move to a more aggresive pad or polish or both

a. More aggressive pad :Orange pad (Light cutting) and same polish SSR1.0.
    b. More aggressive polish: SSR2.0 and same Blue pad.
    c. Both Orange pad and SSR2.0

And of course the pattern would contine until I reach the most aggressive pad and polish (Green pad & SSR2.5).

Question 2.) How many applications of the same polish/pad combo should I try before moving to a more aggressive combo(polish/pad) After 1 application if I see no noticable difference do I move up or try 2 more passes or 3 more passes or ? passes

Question 3.) The door panels and qtr panel have only a 2" height before they made a sharp bend downwards. If a PC was used on this area only the top 2" of the pad would be on the surface and the rest of the pad in air. How do I safely buff this area. Since it is the top part of the doors it actually needs to be as good or better than the rest of vechicle. What's my options.

Thnks
    I have other ?'s which I will post while I wait for my PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have wondered the same thing(pad/polish). I would spend some time searching on this board. For smaller areas use the 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same situation with minor scratches on my truck. Ended up with the green pad with poorboys aio polish sealant. Took it right out. Don't forget to clay first. Sorry, no experience with ssr products.

Rsurfer

Post Thanks / Like
    also I believe the yellow is the most aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    SSR1 is a very fine polish. Personally I only use it for a final polish after all of the major swirls are removed with a stronger polish. It will put a nice mirror finish on the car and remove slight hazing caused by a stronger polish. It will not knock out significant swirlling.

SSR2.5 is a good polish for tackling swirls. Personally, if using the PC, and the finish has some significant swirlling, I'll start with it on a light cutting pad right from the start. That usually does a good job of removing swirlling. If after a couple of passes there is still significant swirlling I'd move onto a compound.

Once you're happy with the defect removal do a final pass with SSR1 on a polishing or finishing pad.

I've never tried SSR2.0. The 2.5/1.0 combo works well, so I've never felt a need for 2.0.

As for the pad not making entire contact with the car, this shouldn't be a problem with the PC. It's tough to visualize the area though. If you're worried about burning through an edge or something, it's tough (though not impossible) to do with the PC. You can use some painters tape to cover raised edges if you're concerned.
    Last edited by Sevenrd; 02-21-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in a similar position right NOW. Used E2K green pad with XMT1 and then 2. Still have scratches but no swirls. Should I move up to Orange pad and 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, don't know. I would think that would be my next step. Like I said, I only hand minor scratches and used the green pad with poorboys aio polish sealant. No scratches and very smooth. Top that with soveran liquid wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyMSP
    I'm in a similar position right NOW. Used E2K green pad with XMT1 and then 2. Still have scratches but no swirls. Should I move up to Orange pad and 2?
    My suggestion is use XMT 2 with green pad. If the swirls are light, this should take everything out just fine.

Follow this with XMT 1 and orange pad if needed, this will remove any hazing and micromarring.

Here's a crappy pic of what I did with XMT 2 and green pad. No need for the XMT1/orange combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, as Sevenrd kinda related to, I found my XMT2 is not used that often. Since the XMT line doesn't have a real dedicated compound/heavy polish (yet), I find that XMT 1 and 2 are similar. If I wanted, I could pretty easily get away with XMT 3 and 1 or XMT 3 and 2. The XMT line is really pad dependant so that varies on your pad choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROVERHSE06
    Hello,

Newbie in the process of purchasing PC and products, done at lot of research, have a few questions so when I actually try to polish my black vehicle I'll have the answers. I plan on purchasing PoorBoys SSR1.0, 2.0, 2.5 polishes and Edge Pads (Blue thru Green).

Question 1.) Let's say I start out with the least abrasive polish and pad SSR1.0 and the Blue Edge pad (Finesse). Let's say after 3 applications I'm still left with scratches. Do I move to a more aggresive pad or polish or both

a. More aggressive pad :Orange pad (Light cutting) and same polish SSR1.0.
    b. More aggressive polish: SSR2.0 and same Blue pad.
    c. Both Orange pad and SSR2.0

And of course the pattern would contine until I reach the most aggressive pad and polish (Green pad & SSR2.5).

Question 2.) How many applications of the same polish/pad combo should I try before moving to a more aggressive combo(polish/pad) After 1 application if I see no noticable difference do I move up or try 2 more passes or 3 more passes or ? passes

Question 3.) The door panels and qtr panel have only a 2" height before they made a sharp bend downwards. If a PC was used on this area only the top 2" of the pad would be on the surface and the rest of the pad in air. How do I safely buff this area. Since it is the top part of the doors it actually needs to be as good or better than the rest of vechicle. What's my options.

Thnks
    I have other ?'s which I will post while I wait for my PC.
    Q1.It really depends on how many swirls left, but I would move up to orange+SSR2.0 and polish with that. When you polish almost dries ease up the pressure and lower speed to 4 to have LSP ready finish.

Q2. really pepends on paint and how many swirls have been removed with a previous combo.

Q.3 Get 4" spot buff pads.

Hope this helps.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast