autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

how long to add sealant then wax?

when i the lsp do i let the sealant or wax sit for 12 hours? or wipe the sealant or wax then wait for 12 hours to add another coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how long to add sealant then wax?

I use Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant

Here's what Wolfgang recommends

1. Apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 over the entire vehicle either by hand or with a machine. If applying by hand, use a yellow foam applicator. If applying by machine, use a blue finessing pad. Using a dual action polisher, set the maximum speed to 4.5 and work in overlapping sections until the entire vehicle is covered. Apply a very thin, even coat.
    2. Once the vehicle is covered, wait 30-45 minutes before buffing off the sealant. Use a microfiber towel or a microfiber bonnet on your polisher.
    3. This product is moisture-sensitive. In order to achieve a slick, durable finish, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 must cure for at least 12 hours before being exposed to moisture. Do not apply sealant before dusk because dew will interfere with the adhesion to the paint. Park your vehicle in a garage or under a shelter while it is curing, if possible.

Once the sealant has cured for 12 hours apply your favorite wax and you'll be good to go.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

i wax, then seal. is that wrong?
    17 Tucson | 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP | 89 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10

@TheRealPolisher on FaceBook | @green2kgt on IG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN View Post
    i wax, then seal. is that wrong?
    sealants need a clean, clear surface to bond to, you should seal first and then use wax over it once cured. It usually takes 8-24hours to really get the max durability from sealant bonding to paint completely.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    sealants need a clean, clear surface to bond to, you should seal first and then use wax over it once cured. It usually takes 8-24hours to really get the max durability from sealant bonding to paint completely.
    why did i even buy selant then. i NEVER have 12 hours to wait. unless its my own vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nabisco shine View Post
    when i the lsp do i let the sealant or wax sit for 12 hours? or wipe the sealant or wax then wait for 12 hours to add another coat?
    Depends on the sealant. Some you wipe on and walk away for 12 hours. Some you wipe on then wipe off then let it cure for a specified # of hours. Some you wipe on, let sit for a specified amount of time, then wipe off and let cure.

why did i even buy selant then. i NEVER have 12 hours to wait. unless its my own vehicle.
    You could seal and skip the wax, or v/v (like you said) for a car that won't be around long enough to do both.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i like about Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz, you can spray, wipe, and walk away

maybe ive been confused about sealants and waxes then...

which is better? for daily drivers im guessing a wax is better? and for a show car, use a sealant? or opposite?

if you can only use one.

Post Thanks / Like

sealants typically offer longer protection (ie durability) and thus more likely to be used on daily drivers and cars not being detailed as frequently. Waxes are often considered less durable but offer wetness and depth that most showcar owners are looking for, and since they arent used/driven as much tend to use waxes.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    sealants typically offer longer protection (ie durability) and thus more likely to be used on daily drivers and cars not being detailed as frequently. Waxes are often considered less durable but offer wetness and depth that most showcar owners are looking for, and since they arent used/driven as much tend to use waxes.
    thx!

Mike Phillips

The 12 hour cure time for Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a best case scenario recommendation. There are times when a person can't wait to put the car back into service and the weather may be wet and if that's the case that's just how it goes.

Most waxes and paint sealants need some time for the protection ingredients to fully dry and set-up, this is a window of time from 1 nano second after wipe-off to 24 hours.

The term "Window of Time" is vague because there's no way of knowing when all the protection ingredients for any given product have fully set-up but generally speaking after 12 to 24 hours any substance that is going to dry, cross-link, harden, bond, adhere, cure, set-up, etc. will have done so in that amount of time.

Anytime I do mobile detailing I don't have time to wait 12 hours before applying a second coat of anything so I wait about 30 minutes and so something else like dress tires or wipe door jambs, etc., and then apply whatever my second LSP is. After that it's time to drive home and maybe never see the car again.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN

maybe ive been confused about sealants and waxes then...

which is better? for daily drivers im guessing a wax is better? and for a show car, use a sealant? or opposite?

if you can only use one.

You'll get all kinds of opinions on this type of question...

Consensus on most detailing forums is that a synthetic paint sealant will last longer and protect longer than a Carnauba wax. If you're waxing your car often then it's really not much of an issue, just find something you like and stick to a regular maintenance program.

Re-apply a coat of wax or paint sealant before the last coat has completely worn off. Kind of like the idea of changing your motor's oil before the current oils is so worn out that it's not protecting the engine as well as possible.

Waxes and Paint Sealants are "Sacrificial Barrier Coating" they are supposed to wear off and the good news is we, that is you and I can easily replace this sacrificial barrier coating easily in our garage.

Interesting thing is most people divide waxes and paint sealants into 2 categories when actually there are 3 categories the way I divide them up and the majority of products fall into the third catagory... blended products, or hybrids.

The below article can be found in my list of articles under "Waxes and Pant Sealants"

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast