autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Professional Detailing. Which direction to go?

Hey guys,

Ive been detailing as a side job (apart from my primary job as a firefighter) and I really really enjoy doing it. Out of NO WHERE in the last month word of mouth has done its thing and I'm blowing up. Ive already had 3 people switch from their normal detailer to me permanently.

I did a Lexus Suv the other day and the lady, whom was very iffy about me doing her vehicle, said "I've had SO many people clean my car and you are by FAR the best."

If money wasn't an issue I would have a Van, water tank, pressure washer, extractor, air compressor and a few other gadgets. It seems Im throwing all my money back into the business which is good but I could be making SO much more right now if i had the set up I wanted.

So I'm at the very beginning of the long drawn out process of writing a business plan. Not just to attract some capital but to see for myself what this will mean as far as a viable extra income.

Has anyone else written a business plan for a detailing business? Anyone have any advice for me? I'd like to get some help and feedback from other detailers on anything really. Thanks.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Detailing. Which direction to go?

That is great that you detailing has taken off, but my advice would be don't quit your day job. I'm sure you became a firefighter for a reason. I would also imagine you make good money being a FF. Just remember that as fast as things "blew up", they can cool off. I would continue to do it on the side and build up your equipment & reputation. Once you get a couple of years under your belt, you can then revisit your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crabby Appleton View Post
    That is great that you detailing has taken off, but my advice would be don't quit your day job. I'm sure you became a firefighter for a reason. I would also imagine you make good money being a FF. Just remember that as fast as things "blew up", they can cool off. I would continue to do it on the side and build up your equipment & reputation. Once you get a couple of years under your belt, you can then revisit your decision.

I dont have any intention of quitting my job as a firefighter. Fortunately my schedule allows 20 free days a month to pursue other income. Right now I fill those days with working at the hospital (that I worked at 2 years before becoming a firefighter) and detailing cars.

I have detailed cars since I was 19. Starting at a VERY high end Mercedes/Porsche dealership here in Jacksonville. Only now I am looking for detailing income to replace my other side job.

I have plenty of experience under my belt. If I decide to go the long road of saving and building the business it will be for financial reasons not due to lack of experience.

So my question is for other detailers already there....help a guy out. Did you do business plans or did you save and build?
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey 360, I don't know anything about getting a detailing business started, but I found these 2 links that may be beneficial for you to take a look at:

This one is written by Superior_Shine: Mobile Detailing

This one I just randomly found: Starting Your Own Detailing Business

Hope these help you out!

I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch34 View Post
    Hey 360, I don't know anything about getting a detailing business started, but I found these 2 links that may be beneficial for you to take a look at:

This one is written by Superior_Shine: Mobile Detailing

This one I just randomly found: Starting Your Own Detailing Business

Hope these help you out!

I wish you all the best in your endeavors!
    Clutch, great find! Thanks a lot man!
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you get 20 free days a month I would start saving for a mobile set up.

Water tank with 2800psi pressure washer mounted and hose $1100-1400
    5x8 enclosed trailer $1000-2500
    Hot water extractor $300-700
    Products $500-1000
    Website $10-300
    Business card - $50-150
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

360, not sure where you are but here in VA we have a Small Business Development Center that is Free, they know how to start a business and what it takes to be successful, I would see if you have one is your area. Also finding a mentor who has a successful business would be very helpful, as we all know you can do anything you love but to be successful at it requires some business acumen. I found that by attending Chamber of Commerce events and networking was one huge advantage too. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 360_detail View Post
    Clutch, great find! Thanks a lot man!
    No prob!

Post Thanks / Like

Do a buz plan...I am in the same position as you with a great primary job as well as detail business part time. You will be a successful detailer because you have a good full-time job. Mobile detailing is tough to make a living out of but as a second income it is awsom. I have minimal overhead I park my trailer In my garage so if I don't have any details it cost me nothing!
    Start a plan with what you need first...prioritize what you need as to what you want. Set benchmark dates for purchases and registering, legal stuff, web site up and running...etc
    Most important be realistic with your plan. Decide If you are going to pay as you go or finance equipment and figure how much you need to finance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast