autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Attn: Corvette Owners/Detailers... Interior Product Suggestions

Hi All,

I just traded in my 2002 Corvette Coupe for a 2004 Corvette Z06 Z16 Commerative Edition. Although the interior looks the same, the vinyl, hard/soft plastic and leather pieces are of a different grade/material than my previous model. I think these are the same materials that are currently used in the C6 (2005+).

I have used several products with mixed results:

DP Interior Surfance Cleaner and Protectant - I bought both but never used. I was scared off when I read "Check for color fastness" on the bottle. I didn't want to take any chances.

303 Aerospace Protectant - Did not like the results. Protection did not last more than a week and did not repel dust. Even with several wipe downs after application, surfaces still felt greasy.

Vinylex Spray - Worked well and repelled dust with minimal product accumulation. Stopped using because I read somewhere that it contained silicone.

Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioning Spray - Did nothing but leave a greasy wet seat even after wipe down.

Mequiars Quik Interior Detailer - Very good for quick detailing of all interior surfaces. No residue, no mess, but also no protection.

I would like some interior product advice and application techniques from 2003-2010 Corvette owners and detailers. My car has less than 7,000 miles and has been in a private museum collection until now. My interior is completely virgin and new and I would like to start a proper and safe cleaning/protection regimine going forward. I live in Las Vegas so I'm looking for protection from the extreme sun and heat. My last Vette had dried leather seats and a dash coated with years of grime and product build up. I want to avoid this and start on the right foot.

Thanks!
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attn: Corvette Owners/Detailers... Interior Product Suggestions

PM Highendetail.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wash the interior leather, plastic and vinyl on my C6 Z06 with Connolly Leather Care Cleaner then wipe it down with just water using a microfiber. Buff dry with microfiber. On the hard/soft plastic and vinyl interior pieces I use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium. I then apply a leather conditioner like Pinnacle or Lexol with my hand instead of a microfiber. Buff off with microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
    Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

This type of leather is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
    Protect from new
    Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
    Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

These simple steps will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1Z Cockpit Premium Cleaner and Leather Masters for my seats once in awhile. When I wipe down the interior of my C6 with Cockpit Premium I will go over the seats with it also.

Post Thanks / Like

Interior Doors / Dash -- Einszett Cockpit Premium
    Leather --- Einszett Leather Care (formulated for finished leather)
    Glass -- Invisible Glass w/ Glass Wizard for HUD area
    Carpets --- Folex for cleaning, Stoners Fabotex for protection

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Interior Doors / Dash -- Einszett Cockpit Premium
    Leather --- Einszett Leather Care (formulated for finished leather)
    Glass -- Invisible Glass w/ Glass Wizard for HUD area
    Carpets --- Folex for cleaning, Stoners Fabotex for protection
    I'm looking at the Einszett Cockpit Premium online right now and it states that it's a plastic cleaner. Is this ok for vinyl as well? I believe my dash top and doors are vinyl. Does this afford any protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Einszett Cockpit Premium is safe for all interior surfaces except for leather and carpet. I have used Cockpit Premium once on leather just for a quick wipe-down and it worked fine but I wouldn't recommend using it on leather.

It cleans and leaves protection behind that is not greasy and has no fake shine...the protection prevents fading from the sun, and has anti-static properties.

Protectants that repel dust aren't going to stop every single spec of dust from sticking to the interior...it just greatly reduces the amount of dirt/dust that you would normally acquire in between interior details.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Cockpit Premium has some UV protection and looks new and natural with no coloring. They also offer vinyl care for those looking for a matte appearance.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Since the leather in vettes are coated, cockpit premium is fine to use on them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast