autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Glazes are for what????

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions about Glazes. Now after all paint corrections are finished on the vehicle, why would you put down a glaze first? I currently only have Vanilla Moose, seems like oil based. How can a Paint sealant or wax adhere to an oil based product? What is everyone's choice of a glaze and how well do they work? I've only used the VM on my outside windows and front bumper.

Thanks,
    Sellncars
    Last edited by Sellncars; 06-20-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glazes are for what????

if you do a full correction you dont need a glaze. A glaze fills in small swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maddenbowler View Post
    if you do a full correction you dont need a glaze. A glaze fills in small swirls.

So a glaze is mostly used for hiding any imperfections? When someone doesn't have the time for a true detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Some glazes have properties to fill in defects and others amp up the shine / look / gloss / whatever on the paint to achieve the best results possible. As always, looks are subjective ... but you are the only one to judge what works best for you.

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glazes are not needed for anything if you correct and polish the paint correctly. They will not add any extra shine, gloss, or anything.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sellncars View Post
    So a glaze is mostly used for hiding any imperfections? When someone doesn't have the time for a true detail.

It's not always an issue of time. I deal in classic cars. OFtentimes these cars have the original paint. When preparing a car with 50 year old paint for a show, you don't necessarily want to chase every swirl or small imperfection. Particularly if the paint is fragile or thin. In that instance a glaze can be a lifesaver. While it's not a permanent fix for the issue, it does allow the owner to have a lovely looking car without running the risk of buffing through the paint.

Each technique and product has it's place.

Post Thanks / Like

They were designed to fill lightly and enhance gloss before a wax. They are basically a thing of the past now as many detailers including myself bypass that step and replace it with true correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    It's not always an issue of time. I deal in classic cars. OFtentimes these cars have the original paint. When preparing a car with 50 year old paint for a show, you don't necessarily want to chase every swirl or small imperfection. Particularly if the paint is fragile or thin. In that instance a glaze can be a lifesaver. While it's not a permanent fix for the issue, it does allow the owner to have a lovely looking car without running the risk of buffing through the paint.

It seems that as in your example, the use of a glaze is quite limited to few and not most detailers. Just my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post

Thank you for breaking it down like that. I understand now where a glaze would be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrflake View Post
    It seems that as in your example, the use of a glaze is quite limited to few and not most detailers. Just my thoughts.
    I wouldn't disagree. However, I did simply want to point out that just because one uses a glaze, doesn't mean it's because the detailer is "lazy" or short for time.

Many detailers here have a dozen or more waxes and sealants on their shelves. Some are used for very specific instances. One might increase reflectivity on light colored cars. Another might enhance the flake in some paints. Having a product on the shelf to help showcars, especially older or vintage showcars is merely another tool in the toolbox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast