autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dawn Dish Soap washing?? good or bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I'm curious, what brand of mouthwash did he recommend?

One thing to note, Dawn is used to clean crude oil off of animals that are affected by an oil spill, but I doubt that it is widely used or recommended to clean animals in the absence of an oil spill. Drastic times call for drastic measures.
    I have to agree about the drastic measures thing and besides, there are enough products out there to prep the paint for polishing that I really don't want to take a chance on damaging the rubber strips around the doors etc.. If you can spend fifty dollars for polish or sealent, why not just go for a product that will give you a clean start and cost a lot less then that. Of course this is just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Really? I think you can. Here's another tidbit to chew on, all that expensive leather cleaner out there, can be replaced with a 10:1 mix of Woolite and water.

Short story about Dawn and my doctor. My oldest daughter is going through those teen years and got my oily skin and the acne that results. My family doctor told us to mix a little Dawn and mouthwash in a bottle with water - about 1:1:1 ratio and use that on her acne as a wash before showering, it worked! He said Dawn was safe enough that the tree-huggers cleaned ducks after that last oil spill.

But hey, buy the most expensive stuff you can it makes you happy, I couldn't care less.
    Well I wasn't trying to tell you not to use it, I only questioned it because MSDS are not formulas or even lists of all ingredients.

As an example, here is a quote from Mike Phillips on MSDS that I ran accross a while back...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    We appreciate you taking the time to come to Meguiar's Online and checking with Meguiar's on something you've read on another forum.

The answer is "no", Ultimate Quik Detailer is not formulated to remove waxes or paint sealants, in fact repeated use insures a hydrophobic polymer coating on the surface that I can personally attest to as I use this product on my daily driver all the time.

For the rest of eternity you're always going to find people on other forums trying to dissect a product by looking at the ingredients listed on an MSD sheet, but an MSD sheet is not a formula and people that that try to play armchair chemists have no idea what the exact ingredients are and how they're used in the formula, besides that a formula is not an ingredient but the sum of all ingredients and it' is the sum of ingredients that make a product not the individuals ingredients themselves.

It's great to read opinions by others on other forums, but only the actual chemists that created the formula knows the specifics of a product and we have great chemists that make great products and UQD is just one of many...

Simple Analogy
    Reminds me of how some people will say petroleum distillates are bad when they're included in a paint care formula when there are zillions of different types of products derived and used from petroleum crude oil that fall into the category of petroleum distillates that are completely safe for paint. For someone to label any product under the category of petroleum distillates as bad just shows they don't know what they're talking about.

Here's an example of how dangerous petroleum distillates can be... Chap-Stick, a product you apply to your lips contains 44% [Petrolatums as well as Isoproply Myristate and Cetyl Alcohol. All of these ingredients can sound bad for your skin but look how long Chap-Stick has been around, how safe it is for your skin and what a great product it is?

UQD is a great product and safe to use on your car's protected paint to maintain it's appearance and create a Hydrophobic Polymer Coating over the surface.

Cheers,
    Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use a strong wash mix of CWG instead of Dawn.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123