autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

will flex DA work for wet sanding?

I just painted my 91 Goldwing jet black with a black base coat and followed with a clear coat. I have very slight orange peel. I plan to follow up with some light wet sanding to smooth the surface. Will the flex DA work for polishing out the sanding marks? I was thinking of the PC however I've been told that it's most likely not agressive enough. I'm also looking at the Flex circular polisher however given that I'm new at this I'm apprehensive about going to aggressive. If it takes me a little longer with the Flex DA and I can get the same results I'm fine with that. I just don't want to ruin a good paint job and have to repaint. Also what compounds, polishes, waxes do you recommend?

PS...I'm going to use 2000 grit for the wetsanding. As stated my orange peel is very light. I don't even notice it unless I look at the panels at an angle with light. Looking at it straight on even with light I barley notice it.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: will flex DA work for wet sanding?

well I just found out that I can't use the 4" pads on the Flex DA polisher. What a bumer. This is a must as there are a lot of small areas I want to work in to. Looks like I'll be going for the Flex circular polisher. Any feedback on this unit? Would still appreciate some suggestions on compounds, polish, sealers, waxes, etc. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The FLEX 3401 will remove sanding scratches pretty well, not as effective a rotary but it will definitely work. You could use some 5.5" pads on the FLEX with Meguiars M105, and then hand rub the hard to reach areas with M105. Following up the 2000 grit with some 3000 or 4000 grit paper will make things easier too.

Steps
    -5.5" orange LC pads with M105
    -5.5" white LC pads with Meguiars M205 or Menzerna 106ff
    -5.5" blue LC pad with Meguiars M205 or Menzerna PO85RD

How many coats of clear did you use?

Rasky
    Last edited by RaskyR1; 01-28-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied two coats of clear. What about the Flex 3403 circular polisher? From what I've read so far it appears I'd be better off getting a nice circular posisher if I'm only going to get one tool. Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hitachi Rotary and still visit the Flex ... but you should consider a rotary buffer if you commonly wetsand as time for correction is likely reduced.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

time is not an issue. My main concerns are the quality of the job and flexibility. I don't commonly wet sand. This is just a one off to restore my bike. In the future I would use it mostly for upkeep and maybe the occasional minor repair/correction. The main thing turning me away from the Flex DA is in inability to use smaller pads. So can I get the same results with the Flex DA as with the Flex circular with the time to get the same results being the main difference? I want to make sure I get the right tool for the job before I plunk down $600 for the tool, pads, compounds, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
    I applied two coats of clear. What about the Flex 3403 circular polisher? From what I've read so far it appears I'd be better off getting a nice circular posisher if I'm only going to get one tool. Your thoughts?
    Well a rotary well definitely do the job faster, but it has more of a learning curve than a DA. I would maybe look at the Mikita 9227C too if I were you, seems to be liked more users than the FLEX. I have a Dewalt, but also picked up a Mikita last week. I like that it can be dialed down to 600rpms, plus it seems quieter than my Dewalt.

If you do decide to get a rotary, get used to it before you lay it on your own bike/car or anyone elses. I suggest getting some test panles or find an old junker to learn on.

Cheers,
    Rasky
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
    time is not an issue. My main concerns are the quality of the job and flexibility. I don't commonly wet sand. This is just a one off to restore my bike. In the future I would use it mostly for upkeep and maybe the occasional minor repair/correction. The main thing turning me away from the Flex DA is in inability to use smaller pads. So can I get the same results with the Flex DA as with the Flex circular with the time to get the same results being the main difference? I want to make sure I get the right tool for the job before I plunk down $600 for the tool, pads, compounds, etc.
    Smaller pads are only more effective on DAs like the Porter Cable 7424 and G110, as they have a clutching mechanism in them. If you are using the FLEX 3401, or a rotary, then smaller pads are actually less effective.

IMO, the FLEX 3401 sounds more like the tool you are looking for. I believe Edge has an adapter for it too if you did want to use smaller pads. I just use the 5.5" on my FLEX with the standard backing plate.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I need the smaller pads to get in the tight spots on the bike. I looked at the Makita and will probably go with it. I picked up an old car hood that I also painted along with the bike to use as my test piece for the entire restoration process. Thanks for all the info. I'll post some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

The Edge/Flex adapter allows smaller pads ... but unsure how many more will be made now that they were taken over by 3M !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast