autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A beginner needs some help!

Good evening fellow detailers!

I've been lurking here for a while, finally decided to register. I am a long-time Zaino user that thought he was doing a good job. That is, until I saw some of the work being done here! Extremely impressed!

I want to take the PC step and want to make a good, bundle purchase. I'm still confused about all the pads and products needed, so can I get some help please?

My wife's black Explorer is almost to the point where it needs painting, but I am confident I can fix it with the PC and the proper materials.

As a complete beginner, what products do I need? I will need the whole chebang, and the shere choice boggles my mind. PC, pads, microfiber towels, waxes/polishes/glazes, etc. etc.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

P1et

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my Dodge, by the way. Even after multiple layers of Zaino, it needs some help...

The really bad shot is of the roof, which has had nothing done to it. Ever. You will also see that I have small specks of white everywhere on the truck. That's overspray from constructions that I have been "scared" to clay bar off. I did the hood, front fenders and part of the bed and I ended up with tons of small scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say look into the kits, but I highly recommend the Edge 2K kit (especially since you have large trucks). And none of the kits have the Edge pads. You'll want clay, good QD'er etc (tons of choices).

Buy the PC at Lowes and use the 10% moving discount

Micros - have plenty of choices on here from Cobra

Polishes - I recommend Optimum Polish and Optimum Compound since they offer long working time and finish down excellent with no dusting.

Cleaner - Klasse AIO

Sealent - since it looks like you really use your trucks, EX-P from Poorboys looks great and has great durability.

Wax - Poorboy's Natty's Blue, Souveran, DP Max wax. Can't beat the look and good durability of Natty's Blue for the $.

Glaze - unless my vehicles were garage type queens (or driven on the weekend only cars) then I personally wouldn't bother with a glaze.

Tires - Poorboy's Bold and Bright for being water based

Really depends, I think there are some kits you can buy that don't inlcude the pc/pads etc, you might like the XMT line as well etc. Lot's of choices. BTW good friend has a lifted Cummins Ram (quad cab, 4X4 Laramie, 6 speed manual etc). Has exhaust and Banks 6 gun pack. Love that truck, get's way better gas mileage on the highway and city then my 4500LB V8 suv LOL.

I love driving diesel trucks
    Last edited by Surfer; 08-01-2006 at 09:11 AM.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I would clay it first, get rid of the overspray, then make it preatty with the XMT or PB line. XMT Finishing Glaze will top it off nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surfer / Meghan -- thanks for the input, that's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't know you could buy the PC at Lowes, I should look into it.

In regards to claying the truck: is it normal to have light scratching all over the paint when clay-barring? The paint overspray is getting into the clay, and then I end up rubbing it all over the place, causing the small scratches. Looks really bad in the sunlight...

Post Thanks / Like
    What does everyone think about this kit? Seems like you get quite a lot for the money, no?

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

My Cummins and my wife's Explorer aren't trailer queens (even though I wish my truck was!!!) and this is my first time using these products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    What does everyone think about this kit? Seems like you get quite a lot for the money, no?

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

My Cummins and my wife's Explorer aren't trailer queens (even though I wish my truck was!!!) and this is my first time using these products.

Best kit going .... sell dozens on the corvetteforum. Add some soap, and well you could still use your Z if wanted, and you got some serious power. Add a couple addtl micro's as possible for drying and buffing.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    You may need more than one clay bar I think if it's that bad. Pick what particles you can out of the clay and then knead it to expose fresh clay. Use plenty of clay lube and don't do it in full sun and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, I'm getting excited here! I think I've pretty much got my mind made up about the kit mentioned above!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    Great, I'm getting excited here! I think I've pretty much got my mind made up about the kit mentioned above!
    I can tell you this, you might want to add in the Edge 2K kit. The Poorboys kit has some pads included. But the Edges are double sided and I love that for my trucks. I just say that b/c it will make it a lot easier with your Ram and Explorer. I promise their well worth the price. Pick up some Klasse AIO as well.

Good luck, my buddy just washes and dry's his truck, doesn't have patience to detail it LOL. But he has Cummins 3500 quad cab with extended bed.
    The real WyStang:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast