autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New utility trailer setup help!!

I am finally getting my setup out of the back of my truck and onto a 5x8 open utility trailer with a wood floor and single axel. My question is regarding the weight distribution of the water tank. I have a 100 gallon tank probably 40-50lbs empty I was planning on putting the tank all the way forward but now I am concerned with "tongue weight". Forgive me I do not know the weight of the trailer or the specifications but it is not an A frame at the hitch it is just a single rod. Should I be concerned about weight and mount it closer to above the axels or will it be fine all the way forward sitting? Thank you for your help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New utility trailer setup help!!

Small tank filled with water should not be a problem braking hard.I have a transit with a 100 gallon water tank installed right behind the bulkhead with no problems with a truck that is not designed to tug around weight everyday.Check with a professional that installs those everyday.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the tongue weight capacity for your truck and your hitch.

Remember that water weighs approximately 8.34 lbs per gallon.

A full tank would weigh about:

Water = 100 gals x 8.34 lbs/gal = 834 lbs.
    Tank = say 50 lbs.
    Total weight of full water tank = 884 lbs.

You may want to place the tank closer to the axle so as not to put too much weight on the tongue.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the trucks max tongue weight is 700lbs. It's a 2016 Silverado 1500. I've read you should only have 10-15% of weight on tongue. I'm new to all this towing stuff and honestly have no clue what any of it means

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityAutoSpa View Post
    I believe the trucks max tongue weight is 700lbs. It's a 2016 Silverado 1500. I've read you should only have 10-15% of weight on tongue. I'm new to all this towing stuff and honestly have no clue what any of it means
    The recommended tongue weight is 10-15% of the trailer weight.

So if the total weight of your trailer plus your equipment equals, say, 1500 lbs. Then the recommended tongue weight is between 150 to 225 lbs. You just need to make sure that your hitch and/or truck can handle that, which should be no problem if you have a decent hitch setup.

In this case, you would want the tank closer to the axle to keep the tongue weight between 150 to 225 lbs.

I have a 4x8 enclosed trailer and I actually used a bathroom scale to weigh the tongue area of the trailer to make sure I was in the ball park.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for your help it's looking like I'm going to have to have it closer to the center which will f^(# my whole idea up. I'd say the complete trailer and tank full with generator and all probably very close to that 1500 number. I'm guessing the trailer weighs 600lbs but then again I can flip it over....

Post Thanks / Like

I guess short answer I'm going to have to put it closer to over the axel! Damn Daniel this messes with everything I envisioned and back to the drawing board for the plumbing. Right now I use a garden hose 3ft to a 2 hose splitter 1 hose for buckets one hose to pressure washer. I want to get rid of the first hose and make it PVC. Another question is how would you mount things to the wood floor? Mesh just use U bolts but with wood do I use straps or what?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess short answer I'm going to have to put it closer to over the axel! Damn Daniel this messes with everything I envisioned and back to the drawing board for the plumbing. Right now I use a garden hose 3ft to a 2 hose splitter 1 hose for buckets one hose to pressure washer. I want to get rid of the first hose and make it PVC. Another question is how would you mount things to the wood floor? Mesh just use U bolts but with wood do I use straps or what?
    Well at least you're finding out about it now instead of afterwards.

U bolts sounds like a good idea and then use straps to anchor the tank to the U bolts. I don't have a water tank for my setup so maybe someone else will chime in with some details.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly lol better to find out now before something breaks! I do like the setup I currently have, no backing a trailer up is a blessing- i practiced the other day had me swearing I shoulda bought a ford!! �� At least they have trailer assist back up

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly lol better to find out now before something breaks! I do like the setup I currently have, no backing a trailer up is a blessing- i practiced the other day had me swearing I shoulda bought a ford!! �� At least they have trailer assist back up
    You'll get used to backing up the trailer after you do it a few times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast