autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need for 4" pads?

Background: I'm working with a GG6 and GG3 on personal and family vehicles.

Do/would you guys see a need to incorporate 4" pads into my collection? I really want to key in on one brand of pads as my go-to. If one goes bad, I can simply order another and not have to spend hours researching and asking questions. I think that will be the BOSS line.

I initially purchased about 16 LC flats in 5.5", a dozen LC flat 4", and 6 of the LC 3" thin pros.

I'm liking the Boss pads better. I have 6 each of the yellow and orange. And a handful of the 3". I plan to transition to these pads.

My question is this- should I keep the 4" LC flats? I've not used them at all. The seem tall and "wobbly"-- the width vs height ratio just feels off (the same can be said for the 3" hydrotechs that came with my GG3 kit). Can you foresee me being "all set to go" with just the 5.5" and 3" Boss pads? Or might the 4" LC flats come in handy someday?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need for 4" pads?

What are you using the 3" Boss pads on, the GG 3"? I don't have those pads, but I'd be lost if I didn't have any 4" pads for my PC's. I mean the GG 3" is pretty wimpy, at least with the pads I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone recommends the LC thin pros for the GG3, they say it makes a world of difference on the under powered machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer going to a 3" pad.

My Lake Country Hydrotech selection has 5.5", and 3" pads, with Meguiar's plates. My Buff and Shine line has 5.5", and 4", with their plates. The 3" just seems to make more sense to pair with the 5.5" pads. They can get into even smaller areas than the 4".

Of course, my Rupes has 6", and 4" differentiation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What are you using the 3" Boss pads on, the GG 3"? I don't have those pads, but I'd be lost if I didn't have any 4" pads for my PC's. I mean the GG 3" is pretty wimpy, at least with the pads I have.
    Yep, 3" Boss pads on the GG3. The thinner pads make the tool much more capable.
    What 4" pads are you using on your PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Yep, 3" Boss pads on the GG3. The thinner pads make the tool much more capable.
    What 4" pads are you using on your PC?
    I dunno...I've had them for so long I'm not even sure, except for the Optimum and LC MF pads which are newer. Actually my 4" foam pads are pretty worn out, but I have a whole load of new Cyclo pads for the Cyclo that I bought in a fit of frustration back in the days before there were 3401's or long-stroke machines. I'm not even sure I ever used that Cyclo on a car--I know I used it to polish some metal at work with wool pads...but I sure have plenty of foam pads for it.

I generally only use (3") MF pads on my GG 3", or sanding discs.

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country 4" flat pads are awful! I guess I've just spoiled myself with buff and shine pads but I finally decided to try out some Lake country flat pads during a sale and there was something off with every single one of them. I kid you not they looked like they were hand cut with a box cutter. I only use them for polishing wheels and chrome bumpers on classic cars because I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. But most of them I actually had to trim or modify in some way just to make them usable. Which is disappointing considering how great their 2" hybrid pads are (wish PBMG would carry them).

Anyway, if you are in the market for 4" foam pads that are incredibly durable, symmetrical, consistent, and affordable. I've been a hug fan of Buff and shine 4" flat euro-foam pads for the past few years and they are still the most durable pads I've used on an 8mm DA or Rotary. The Yellow (heavy cutting) is my favorite to use with a polish. It is incredibly dense and has impressive cut, but can dust on you a bit with a compound. I prefer the orange (medium cut) for compounding duties and the white (heavy polishing) for HD Speed. They are not thin/low profile but when you compare them to the bulky 4" LC Flats they are almost twice as thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Lake Country 4" flat pads are awful! I guess I've just spoiled myself with buff and shine pads but I finally decided to try out some Lake country flat pads during a sale and there was something off with every single one of them. I kid you not they looked like they were hand cut with a box cutter. I only use them for polishing wheels and chrome bumpers on classic cars because I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. But most of them I actually had to trim or modify in some way just to make them usable. Which is disappointing considering how great their 2" hybrid pads are (wish PBMG would carry them).

Anyway, if you are in the market for 4" foam pads that are incredibly durable, symmetrical, consistent, and affordable. I've been a hug fan of Buff and shine 4" flat euro-foam pads for the past few years and they are still the most durable pads I've used on an 8mm DA or Rotary. The Yellow (heavy cutting) is my favorite to use with a polish. It is incredibly dense and has impressive cut, but can dust on you a bit with a compound. I prefer the orange (medium cut) for compounding duties and the white (heavy polishing) for HD Speed. They are not thin/low profile but when you compare them to the bulky 4" LC Flats they are almost twice as thin.
    I was actually disappointed with my last Buff and Shine order.

My 5.5" blue pads were out of round, and my black pads were really coarse!

Not sure what's going on, but I'll be calling them in the morning. No way I can let these inconsistencies slide.

Post Thanks / Like

I would save the 4'' LC flat pads "just in case" since you already have them. Another alternative would be trading them for something else in the off-topic section "samples" post. I haven't used the flat lc pads, but I have some 4'' ccs pads that I've used a fair amount. I have no complaints from those. A few are nearly flat pads now as I've worn the recessed areas nearly flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought...I had some old 3" pads i have retired from my rotary days. They've been trashed but salvageable as tire dressing applicators. See if you can find one of those knob looking velcro hand applicators for pads. I especially like my old whites and backs for that purpose.