autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coated cars and the use of RW's and their effects on the coating. What do you use?

So we see many people ask about topping coated cars for more durability. Some chime in and say its not needed, the wax/sealant wont "bond" correctly, degrade the coating, hinder the coatings properties etc.

Now with the common RW's we have out there, most of them leave something behind. Be it a glossifier, protection similar to a spray wax/sealant say etc. That would be Uber, ecH2O etc.

If you were to use a modern coating, do you think using a RW that has something that is left behind for protection, would that really degrade/hinder the coating? I dont see how it would really hurt it at all. If its bonded to the paint, you're only adding something to help shine it up/become sacrificial, no?

What coating do you have and that RW do you use? Whats your findings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated cars and the use of RW's and their effects on the coating. What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    So we see many people ask about topping coated cars for more durability. Some chime in and say its not needed, the wax/sealant wont "bond" correctly, degrade the coating, hinder the coatings properties etc.

Now with the common RW's we have out there, most of them leave something behind. Be it a glossifier, protection similar to a spray wax/sealant say etc. That would be Uber, ecH2O etc.

If you were to use a modern coating, do you think using a RW that has something that is left behind for protection, would that really degrade/hinder the coating? I dont see how it would really hurt it at all. If its bonded to the paint, you're only adding something to help shine it up/become sacrificial, no?

I have PBL Diamond Paint coating on one and Optimum Gloss Coat on another. I now use ECH20 for RW on both and it works great. I haven't noticed any negative effects to the coatings. The cleaning power is great and the shine left behind is awesome! I also follow the RW with a QD mix of ECH20 + Reload + Distilled water.

Both coatings have held up very well in a tough ND winter (extremely cold temps and road film from sand, salt and beet juice) following this maintenance method.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated cars and the use of RW's and their effects on the coating. What do you use?

I see a difference I dust attraction and slickness. They may change hydrophobic properties a little too but that's hard to detect during a rinse-less wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of protection: yes and no. In terms of function: yes and no.

I have noticed a distinct difference in the beading on my car, which is coated with Gyeon Mohs, when it is simply washed with Uber v washed with Uber and topped with ECH2O. Beads are tighter and smaller with ECH2O. Hard to say about sheeting. Never noticed a big difference other than slickness when topping with Over Coat.

Is it safe? Theoretically there should be some temporary layer left behind by a timeless wash like Uber and then some topper. Does that compensate for the presumed steady degradation of the underlying coating or does it actually augment it? Dunno. But, I have a feeling that if the topper causes more beading and those beads dry out, you may get more etching.

I top all the time. I just like doing it, and I get to try different things. I'm not sure it makes a significant difference though.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen anyone say topping a coating will degrade it. Yes, whatever you top it with will affect the water behavior the the actual coating itself. Thing is, if you want to top your coating, so be it. Who cares what others say, self included.

As for what I use on coated cars, ONR most of the time. I even set up my customers with it. There are many great rinseless washes out there. As long as you are happy with the end outcome, keep on it man.

I am a believer of synergy when it comes to "toppers" personally. If you're going to use a topper, why not one that is designed to work with that brand of coatings. Just me and my OCD I guess.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Ech2o over Kamikaze, Blackfire crystal coat, and Gtechniq. Using it in all dilutions from waterless, rinseless, topper. I find it to work well, not haze, nor streak, and looks fantastic. More than anything it falls into my aftercare routine better than pulling out the traditional wash, and the daily drivers have remained very easy to clean as the finish is slick. So far I am very impressed with this product, though D114 worked well, I like the little kick it gives it, and see no reason to not use it. Have not yet tried the Mckees product which replaces the D114. At this time I like what Ech2o is leaving behind. Good beading, slick surface, looks fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have d114 here too. Are you saying you like it better than the other ones

Post Thanks / Like

So I have a client who's car I coated 6 months ago with mckees paint coat, I did one coat and did it in direct sunlight. I've washed it 5 times since then. First time was with D115, the next 3 were with Uber rinseless and this last time was with ech2o. Mckees is holding up great with no signs of wear and even before the Washington sprayed the panel (didn't get a pic) and it still beaded up nicely.

Coated cars and the use of RW's and their effects on the coating.  What do you use?-1486601768468-jpgCoated cars and the use of RW's and their effects on the coating.  What do you use?-1486601775636-jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    I`ve never seen anyone say topping a coating will degrade it.
    Maybe I wasn't clear in my language. I wasn't saying that a topper will degrade the underlying coating. What I meant to say was that over time, a coating will degrade - even if well managed. Obviously that's why they last a year or two and have to be reapplied. The coating disappears - in other words degrades. What I was suggesting is that the topping agent may help replenishing a lost layer.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    If you were to use a modern coating, do you think using a RW that has something that is left behind for protection, would that really degrade/hinder the coating?
    No. Won't have any harm or degrade the coating. May change the hydrophobic properties a little but it's not a problem.

I use Uber Rinseless and mix ECH20 and Reload as my detail spray used after each wash. Here's the result of it after 5-6 months on a daily driver.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast