autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you handle people who like to be sticklers but are also customers?

Not a new axiom in sales but your smaller customers sometimes takes up more time because for them the outlay is a larger percentage of their budget than the customer spending more.

Example, Wal Mart is less concerned with the $100,000 it spends on getting some fleet trucks pressure washed vs the dry cleaner who spends $1000 for same service. Extreme example but just making a point.

Agree with your choice. The extra time to make her truly satisfied could be spent on new prospects.

Not saying customer service not paramount but she is better served with a different service.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Btrahin View Post
    At my shop we charge $99 for a complete interior detail. Some people say "oh my gosh that's expensive", others say "wow that's cheap". Just depends on the person I think..
    That sounds like a great deal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    These discussions are good. They immediately allow you to identify what you are dealing with, and if you even want to deal with them at all. At that point you could chose to inform them what the process entails, or to diplomatically walk away.

Whatever you decide to do, hinges on how much hovering/criticism etc you want to take.
    Not a pro detailer. Barely an amateur. But this is good, basic business practice. When I was starting out in my 20s I worked a small software/data integration shop. The owner of that place taught me that it's ok and sometimes necessary to say no to a paying customer, and sometimes ok to fire a customer. This was eye opening for me. The customer always comes first, but not when it doesn't make sense for your business.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Octopiston View Post
    I'm sure we all do the same with different things to varying degrees in our lives too.
    I give a price and time. If those don't work, then they can go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but it has to be worth my time and product too. You can't go to a custom car builder and expect maaco prices.

I recently had a lady that wanted in her words a "full detail." I brought up time and she balked at how long I said it would take. So I explained the work involved. Come to find out, all she wanted was a wash without wax and the interior vacuumed and dusted off. I explained that even my base package went well beyond what she wanted. She ended up going elsewhere, but I'm alright with that. I'm not competing with the local drive through washes that hand dry and vacuum the car out afterward.
    Renny Doyle explains the full detail concept well in his book. Im referencing pg 23 of it and he notes its a dangerous way of marketing as everyone thinks about it differently. To me I would have charged it ala carte for the wash and then 100 dollars or above for the interior. Its either she takes it or leaves it. Some people are also crazy in my mind
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Renny Doyle explains the full detail concept well in his book. Im referencing pg 23 of it and he notes its a dangerous way of marketing as everyone thinks about it differently. To me I would have charged it ala carte for the wash and then 100 dollars or above for the interior. Its either she takes it or leaves it. Some people are also crazy in my mind
    I don't market like that, she just used that term, but he is right. I started talking about paint correction packages while she just meant she wanted a wash. It was slow, I wanted something to do, and she was referred by a buddy that has a mechanic shop so I even cut her a good deal on my quote for my basic exterior and interior package for her suv, but that was still too much for her.

Post Thanks / Like

I do this on the side. 2 cars per week basically. I've only had a few people get to the point where they are discussing what I offer which ranges from $150 to $900 with me. Of the few that questioned what I do for the money, I simply left them with the option of reviewing photos and videos of what I've done and the names of any vehicle owner that has consented to serve as a reference. Let's just say of all the cars I did last year, none have refused to serve as a reference. Only one took me up on contacting the owner of the car they chose to review and speak with. He then spend $600 with me. The others....were probably never made happy by anyone. I'm okay with both outcomes.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I would like the thread to create discussion but not an argument or hatred towards each other on what have you heard from people (those not into detailing) about detailing and work that you think they should be educated on and how do you personally deal with it?
    I asked them why they wanted the work done and what they expected when it was complete. Was it going up for sale? Were they just tired of it being dirty? Was there something specific they wanted me to address? Did they expect perfection or just a wash? Once I had an idea of where they were coming from we both walked the car and gave it the once over inside & out. Depending on exactly what they wanted I explained the time and processes involved and gave them an estimate based on my hourly rate.

If they said I can get that done down the street for less I was nice but very firm....."If you want it done properly that is my price for the work YOU described that YOU wanted done. Also if the car does not exceed your expectations the work is free".

If that didn't clinch the deal then I suggested they go to the place down the street and take their chances. Nine out of ten gave me the job and never once did anyone try to sting me because I ALWAYS exceeded their expectations.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I've been able to sway people by physically showing them what i have to do to the vehicle. Especially when it comes to any paint protection packages or correction. Most guys are really surprised by how much actually goes into it, other than just applying some wax and then buffing it off. Tons of misconceptions and those cut rate guys make it difficult, but if you produce good results then that will speak for itself more-so than anything you can tell them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CParrott View Post
    I've been able to sway people by physically showing them what i have to do to the vehicle. Especially when it comes to any paint protection packages or correction. Most guys are really surprised by how much actually goes into it, other than just applying some wax and then buffing it off. Tons of misconceptions and those cut rate guys make it difficult, but if you produce good results then that will speak for itself more-so than anything you can tell them.
    This is often what I get into. Some know me as a hobbyist detailer or a car guy and ask roughly how much is this or what does that do for the car? I get into basics and get left with ---o well the other one is much cheaper or this guy seems overpriced etc.

Misconceptions are also a HUGE problem and annoys me so much
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

People don't understand the time and effort it takes to do the job. They are not only paying you for your time but your expertise as well as your products. What do they make per hour at their job?

I think you need to speak with them and understand what they want completed. If your price points are too high for the customer then sometimes it is better to pass then work for free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast