autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help with Adhesive Removal In New Car Decontamination

All,

I've used products from AG for many years now and have always learned a great deal from the site. I finally have a real need to ask for some help from the pros and those with experience.

We just picked-up a new car (light silver metallic), and it has what appears to be spots of adhesive from the shipping wrap. I can only assume they pulled it off in freezing weather to create such an issue. Normally, I would hit a spot like this with a quick wipe of solvent in the decon process. However, there are so many spots all over the large panels of the car that I thought it might be easier to just do a biological decon step after the IronX before any needed claying/correction. I have read of some detailers using this step to remove some large biologicals before claying.

I read through old posts and have seen several products mentioned such as TarX, Tarminator, Wurth Clean Solve, 3M Adhesive Cleaner, Rapid Remover, Xenit Citrus, etc. I did see that MP used the Wurth as a final prep step on one of the coating installs. I believe it was a Mustang, but I didn't see all the details. I also have some Poor Boys Bug Squash.

What product would be safest to apply and what technique would you guys recommend? Of course, the wife has spent hours telling me why it should go back to the dealer. She blames me since I told them not to touch it before delivery.
    I really appreciate the assistance.

Best regards,

Mike C.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Adhesive Removal In New Car Decontamination

No need to spend tons of money. $5 worth of mineral spirits and a MF Rag. Wash with soap and water after.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Xenit by stoners would be ideal,however mineral spirits may work some times it's a little weak depending on the brand.Those glue lines and spots harden up a little after a while.I would wash the car first so you don't rub in grit and you can see clearly.Then wash it after Like suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest after you wash the car, use a non-ammonia window cleaner. I've used it in the past and I saturate the area, let it soak for a little bit and then just rub it off. I don't worry about marring with the adhesives in a new car since I'm going to be compounding and polishing anyway.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I was planning on tackling this on my third step after initial wash and IronX. Would there be a better point? It seems like from a product standpoint it's just going to be whatever solvent based item one has around that works. I can always give the Poorboys a shot, and I certainly have mineral spirits, goo gone and the like. Every post has different ideas with effectiveness tied to the unique condition I guess.

I did want to start off gentle. This is the wife's DD so I'm hoping conditions might allow a light decon followed with cleaner polish and sealant. I haven't had a vehicle I liked enough in a while to do the full 9 unless something is way off on inspection. Sometimes, I'll hit a few spots with swirl remover before polish. This seems to work for me, especially when I know what the vehicle is going to be subject to the minute it hits the daily commute.

I do have to get the PPF the trade dealer had put under the handles and on door edges. I have no idea what they used and don't want to chance it. I'll wait until the Ohio valley heat for that job. None of this is going to be fun or finished quickly as its 20 degrees at the moment.

Best,

Mike C.

Post Thanks / Like

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, bug and tar remover, adhesive remover, decal remover, tree sap remover

Your local auto parts store will likely have a couple variations of 3M adhesive removers. I would start there...these work very well and aren't cost prohibitive. Doesn't take much product either. Follow the directions.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I would do the mineral spirits (or whatever product you use to remove the adhesive) prior to the Iron-X. The rationale being that if there are any iron particles buried in or below the adhesive residue the Iron-X may not be effective in those areas.

The likelihood of iron particles below the adhesive is probably pretty low but it sure can't hurt to remove the adhesive residue first. Then proceed as you typically would from that point on.

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 should remove it & not hurt anything in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a new truck just last month and encountered the same issue, just not at the level that you seem to be experiencing. Surprisingly, the adhesive came off during the initial wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Xenit by stoners would be ideal,however mineral spirits may work some times it's a little weak depending on the brand.Those glue lines and spots harden up a little after a while.I would wash the car first so you don't rub in grit and you can see clearly.Then wash it after Like suggested.
    Xenit citrus works awesome on adhesives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast