autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 915 oily holograms after wipe off

Hey everyone,
    Im fairly new to detailing, only started a couple of years ago when I purchased my very first brand new car. It's a black 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer, annoying because every defect is visible from a mile away, bit the look of well maintained black paint is outstanding! I live in Australia, so I needed a wax that could stand up to our extremely harsh summers that easily reach 40 celcius or about 104F+... I read about how great collinite waxes were at standing up to adverse conditions, watched a lot of videos that showed the great shine and water beading you get with these waxes. I gave in and bought myself a tin of 915. These are the steps I took before waxing:
    1. wash with megs soft wash gel
    2. Clayed with clay magic fine grade clay bar
    3. Used ultimate polish with a DA to remove micro marring from the previous clay step
    4. Used 915 as my LSP.
    Applied it THIN (at least to what my perception of thin is) the wax was spread out so thin that the film could just be seen, made sure there was no buildup of wax in one spot, let it haze and wiped off.
    After wipe off I noticed swirls in the paint... i thought it may have been micro marring from my towel but when I went to wipe the swirls changed direction according to the direction of the wipe and yes I do fold my towels in half twice and go through about four faces of the towel per panel. I did an IPA wipedown of half the hood to remove residual oils from ultimate polish (assuming that the two products werent playing well) but it still happened. I went back after 2 hours and did a second wipe down with a high pile plush MF, it seemed to help a little bit there was still oil all over the paint.

hHas anyone had this issue on black or any other colour? Have you found a solution? What is the main cause of this? Im not about to give up on this wax as I have read it can be a bit finicky... but the durability and shine is worth the learning curve I think.
    Side note: I have had this problem with 476 as well.

Cheers,
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite 915 oily holograms after wipe off

Welcome it sounds to me the megs was still on there,maybe wash the car and see what happens.Was this performed outside maybe sheet metal was warm.Did you check your applicator that it was clean or dressing the tires via aerosol or pump spray . These could be some trouble shooter promblems.Or maybe your applying way to much collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the washing, everything was done in my basement garage which was cool, I use poorboys bold n bright with a MF cloth for tyre shine, and my applicators are always clean before use

I may be applying too much but I could have sworn the wax was applied micro thin. I dampen the applicator as well, I read that it helps get it really thin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Welcome it sounds to me the megs was still on there,maybe wash the car and see what happens.Was this performed outside maybe sheet metal was warm.Did you check your applicator that it was clean or dressing the tires via aerosol or pump spray . These could be some trouble shooter promblems.Or maybe your applying way to much collinite.
    On that car for example,one good application from the can once on a half of hood should be plenty.If your dipping more than once on half the hood maybe it's to much 915 .Try doing half of the car first then proceed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had such problems with any of the collinite waxes, and I've used them all. But, I don't have a Black Mitsubishi Lancer either.

I myself have oddly found #915 to be even more difficult to remove than #476 Super Doublecoat. That I noted letting it dry too long made it much harder to remove. But there were never any oily holograms in any instance, and would assume such is not related.

In fact, I once used #476 to "remove" a very greasy wax I once used years back, on a 1994 Black Lincoln Town Car I owned, and the Lard-like product I'm referring to was a cheaper blue liquid "Zymol" that used to be sold at places like Walmart here. The #476 removed this greasy product lickety split!

I'm not sure what others might say, perhaps try a dampened MF Towel to again wipe down?

With Collinite Pastes, I would always used an applicator dampened with water. I always found it eased application, and permitted greater ease of applying very thin even coats.

Ultimately, Collinite products may just not be for you, and my last comment would be to say that if a product is not working for you, and you're not satisfied, then move on to another product. You may have better luck with a Sealant, and there are some very good ones out there.

Not sure what's available to you there, but two very good sealants are the Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0, or Menzerna Powerlock.

Post Thanks / Like

Apply cold water as you wipe it off should clear the haze up.

Post Thanks / Like

Um...we used to have a term for this..."sweating" I think.

It's some residual oils, etc. Don't "sweat" it, you probably applied a little too thick for the temperature. I'd give it a little more time, perhaps some time in the sun, a wash, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    On that car for example,one good application from the can once on a half of hood should be plenty.If your dipping more than once on half the hood maybe it's to much 915 .Try doing half of the car first then proceed.
    Definitely do not need to load up the apllicator again before half a panel (larger panels) is covered in wax, When I do load the applicator its just one light wipe across the cake of wax... which is plenty to cover half a panel.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll agree with you on that point Mark... I found 476 much easier to remove too. Still had the same issue with the oily swirls.

Its interesting because Ive worked with waxes with a much higher oil content, namely souvran and swissvax samurai but I never had any residual oils left on the paint. Thats what is confusing me the most I think :P

Ive got access to wolfgang 3.0 and Ill probably consider it since Ive read great things about it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok setec has a point let it dry longer due to different temps.If your having the same promblem with 476 than that maybe that's your promblem.Apply the wax let it set up and drag your finger across it.If your finger swipes the wax clean and clear then it's not dry yet.Normally collinite dries hard so it shouldn't give you a swipe clean and clear test.sealants when there dry will give you a indication by swiping your finger across it if it's clear by your finger then it's time to wipe off.Im out of solutions via net so good luck maybe get a can of hi temp 1000 that would be a great product for you there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast