autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Recommendation

If you want something like CQ Finest, you can purchase Optimum GlossCoat. Lasts about 3 years. Inexpansive and very easy to apply. Glossier than Opti Coat, same properties, but not permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

because the Menzerna products hide the imperfections and after a few washes, they unveil the true finish.
    What is this sorcery of which you speak? While Menz does seem to be a bit 'greasier' in it's composition/removal it has no fillers that I've heard of.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

The detailing forum world goes through many cycles over and over through the years it seems. One of them is that very good info gets buried by lots of fluff. The hiding ability of Menzerna is one of them.

I heard this saying once: smart people learn from other people's mistakes, stupid people learn from their own. It is up to us. The great thing about menzerna polishes and how they hide is how very easy it is to replicate. It isn't rocket science. Now, if I needed to do a "correction" in a hurry, that is the polish I'd want to use. It will look great at the time of delivery, but after the first wash, not so much. If years ago, you hung out here or especially on the now gone Autopia.org, you'd know about all this.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. I remember that debate. I've always used panel wipe to remove residue and not IPA mix. Why mess around. I've never noticed the reoccurrence of swirls with Menzerna polishes. And first wash comment seems off too. I used Menzerna almost exclusively for 6-7 years and did not find that be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Hey Blackdevil,

So comparing CQ Finest(pretty much the top coating on the market) against CQ UK will yield some disappointment. CQ UK is nowhere as slick as CQ Finest, and obviously not as great hydrophobic properties. I always top my CQ UK jobs with Reload or Hydr02 when I se them for maintenance. Many say topping a coating is redundant, but it helps to add the slickness many crave.

M205 is a great polish. You can compound(using loosely as sometimes the M100 or Flat Top has to come out) then finish with it as well. The main point is to ensure you fully remove any polish residue. In essence, a good Eraser wipedown or 2 would be recommended.

As for another coating, CQuartz Classic may fit the bill more for you over CQ UK as it has the slickness you desire.
    Thanks for the info. Finest was fantastic. I wish there was a way I could get my hands on a bottle, but it doesn't seem possible. I'll look into classic, which I think they call TiO2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    If you want something like CQ Finest, you can purchase Optimum GlossCoat. Lasts about 3 years. Inexpansive and very easy to apply. Glossier than Opti Coat, same properties, but not permanent.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into this one as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the coating is still there, though not as hydrophobic as you'd expect.
    Comparing CQuartz UK with Finest is a bit unfair, since UK is an over-the-shelf coating, entry level, with one of the best (and costly) coatings available.
    To compare with Finest, only Modesta and maybe Optimum.
    Imho, you should top it with Reload, or any sealant with SiO2 content, or Gtechniq C2v3.
    Best regards

Post Thanks / Like

Ya Finest is a pro coating so it's different than cquartz uk or classic. I often wondered though what would happen of you were to mix classic and UK together and then apply it since Finest has SiO and TiO2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Ya Finest is a pro coating so it's different than cquartz uk or classic. I often wondered though what would happen of you were to mix classic and UK together and then apply it since Finest has SiO and TiO2.
    The two would mix into a mixture that would expand and engulf the entire universe in a layer of glossy hard shell that we will forever be frozen in time. (Don't try this at home)
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to look into gloss coat. Every thread I found mentions how easy it is to apply and how glossy it looks. None mention how hydrophobic it is, how durable and how it's resistance to marring compares to other coatings. Anybody have experience with gloss coat that has had it on a vehicle for some time?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I've been trying to look into gloss coat. Every thread I found mentions how easy it is to apply and how glossy it looks. None mention how hydrophobic it is, how durable and how it's resistance to marring compares to other coatings. Anybody have experience with gloss coat that has had it on a vehicle for some time?

Anything that is not Permanent like Opti Coat, it is hard to 'guess" but according to Optimum, close to 3 years. Great at resisting marring, like OCP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast