autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autogard vs Opticoat vs ToughSeal vs Ceramic Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by jmillar82 View Post
    Hi mate, I don't want to do it myself,
    I'd rather get a professional to do it
    even if it's a bit more expensive.
    OK...then have a professional
    do the paint correction.

But, IMHO, it doesn't take a
    professional to wipe-on/wipe-off
    a paint Sealant. Especially ones
    like I previously mentioned.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to go the coating route, have them do the wheels too. Then you can clean them with soap and water and a brush or mitt.

Get a list of wheel cleaners that you can find locally. Then we could more easily point out a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

I've wanted to get paint protection on my car but I got quoted about $1100 for cQuartz just for the external and I'm not willing to pay that. I've since got the following quotes and just wondering what your thoughts are on the different products? I really didn't want to spend more than $500 or so if I can avoid it. I really just want something that will add a bit of extra shine to my Mercedes C200 and also make it easier to clean.

Autogard $399
    OptiCoat $745 for one layer, $945 for 4 layers (Lifetime warranty, free yearly checks)
    ToughSeal $750
    Ceramic Pro $660 for outside, $120 for interior and $40 for wheels (lifetime warranty)

Also, what is a good alternative to Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner? I've been using that with great success but the bottle hasn't lasted very long and it's expensive and not available locally.

Cheers!
    Well, given what I have learned through the other responses and responses-to-responses (mainly yours), try Autogard.

Whether you know it or not the biggest value-add you need is rooted in the correction step; especially if you want a coating. . You seem to imply that you are willing to maintain your vehicle but you are not looking to heavily invest in it and take detailing as a hobby (which is fine).

Regardless of the durability and performance of each of these products, you can always go the route of a spray sealant to maintain the vehicle on your own afterwards - which will add that bit of shine and make it easier to clean.

Good luck!!!

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

I've wanted to get paint protection on my car but I got quoted about $1100 for cQuartz just for the external and I'm not willing to pay that. I've since got the following quotes and just wondering what your thoughts are on the different products? I really didn't want to spend more than $500 or so if I can avoid it. I really just want something that will add a bit of extra shine to my Mercedes C200 and also make it easier to clean.

Autogard $399
    OptiCoat $745 for one layer, $945 for 4 layers (Lifetime warranty, free yearly checks)
    ToughSeal $750
    Ceramic Pro $660 for outside, $120 for interior and $40 for wheels (lifetime warranty)

Also, what is a good alternative to Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner? I've been using that with great success but the bottle hasn't lasted very long and it's expensive and not available locally.

Cheers!
    Hey jmillar. Where are you located? The information you are provided regarding Opti Coat Pro is definitely off. As for the CQuartz quote, it sounds like you were quoted for CQuartz Finest. Judging by your budget, I would not spring for a coating honestly. Your best bet would be to read up on great over the counter sealants such as CarPro Hydr02 where you can seal everything and then read up on proper maintenance.

As for wheel cleaner, if you seal the wheels or have them coated, you can clean them with soap and water honestly. The Sonar could be used a few times a year for deep cleanings.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Well, given what I have learned through the other responses and responses-to-responses (mainly yours), try Autogard.

Whether you know it or not the biggest value-add you need is rooted in the correction step; especially if you want a coating. . You seem to imply that you are willing to maintain your vehicle but you are not looking to heavily invest in it and take detailing as a hobby (which is fine).

Regardless of the durability and performance of each of these products, you can always go the route of a spray sealant to maintain the vehicle on your own afterwards - which will add that bit of shine and make it easier to clean.

Good luck!!!
    Thanks, I can't find much information on Autogard anywhere.. Have you used it?

You're definitely right - I don't want to spend too much, but I do spend 1hr+ every weekend cleaning it properly (foam wash, pressure washer, microfibre only etc).

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Hey jmillar. Where are you located? The information you are provided regarding Opti Coat Pro is definitely off. As for the CQuartz quote, it sounds like you were quoted for CQuartz Finest. Judging by your budget, I would not spring for a coating honestly. Your best bet would be to read up on great over the counter sealants such as CarPro Hydr02 where you can seal everything and then read up on proper maintenance.

As for wheel cleaner, if you seal the wheels or have them coated, you can clean them with soap and water honestly. The Sonar could be used a few times a year for deep cleanings.
    I'm located in Sydney, Australia.

I tried using Hydro2 and it left marks on my car because the instructions on the bottle said 3:1 (but I've since learnt this is too strong) so it's left marks all over my car and this is part of the reason I want someone else to prep my car properly now and apply a coating.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I can't find much information on Autogard anywhere.. Have you used it?

You're definitely right - I don't want to spend too much, but I do spend 1hr+ every weekend cleaning it properly (foam wash, pressure washer, microfibre only etc).
    Unfortunately I have not. I did a little googling on it but that's it. If it is a coating it is worth a try; and $399 for correction and coating is reasonable. Again, getting the correction step alone is worth $400 on a Mercedes.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the $500 towards a buffer and some basic products including McKee's 37 paint coating, a 6 pack of Sports Drink and a Saturday afternoon and do it yourself. You'll thank me later. I don't like to do things myself much either as I my time is not free, especially my free-time but polishing a car and applying a sealant or coating is relaxing to the soul if you're a car-guy. Rewarding to step back and see the results too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Unfortunately I have not. I did a little googling on it but that's it. If it is a coating it is worth a try; and $399 for correction and coating is reasonable. Again, getting the correction step alone is worth $400 on a Mercedes.
    Thanks a lot for your comments.

If anyone else has any feedback on these products that would be great.

Also thanks for the other suggestions to everyone, but I won't be applying any sealants or coatings myself.

Cheers

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey bud

Your in Sydney yeah? And the OptiCoat 4 layers - let me guess, it's applied by someone that sprays it on?

I would definitely get the OptiCoat but don't fall for the 4 layers. PM me and I will recommend you some good places in Sydney for OptiCoat - I'm in Canberra by the way.

I recommend visiting ZAS.com.au and picking some quality detailing products there.

Post Thanks / Like

Saad, PM sent.

Anyone else had experience with any of these products?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast